“ear plugs?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Canal Boutique house

You added Le Canal Boutique house to your Saves list
Le Canal Boutique house
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   91 Sriphoom Road | Sriphoom, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
San Diego, California
“ear plugs?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This review was written in my head at 4am our first night after my wife yelled how she hadn't slept at all. We vowed never to write a bad review but in light of the situation I felt compelled to.
After leaving Palace Place which was a terrible experience, we came to Le Canal in hopes of some good rest. Wrong. They first put us in room 1 which faces the main road. The first red flag was when the attendant asked us if it was too loud. Seeing that we had already booked two nights on Agoda and it was the last room I didn't feel as though we had a choice. We accepted mainly because we were just too tired to try our luck somewhere else(due to the Chinese new year everywhere was sold out).
This is where the first star comes in, the bed was comfortable.
But after listening to what felt like cars, bikes and tuk tuks in our room I went downstairs and asked with heavy sarcasm if there was a room with a waterfall in it. I was promptly offered another room towards the back and given two sets of ear plugs. Second red flag. We said ok because anything was better than room 1. After dinner we returned to realize that the back room offered was smaller and closer to the football field which was used until midnight and the traffic noise was still an issue. I felt very bad for my wife who already wasn't feeling well and now couldn't sleep. At some point pure exhaustion took over and we slept off and on until the first of many guests started closing the doors.
As a contractor by trade, I couldn't understand why a brand new hotel was so poorly insulated. Every shut door racked our room and increased the size of the knot in my stomach. To add fuel to the fire there were two families that insisted on communicating at a level just below yelling on our floor first thing in the morning.
Another issue was we gave our laundry to the front desk at noon the first day and were told it would be ready in the morning. When I went to retrieve it the attendant said it wouldn't be ready till the afternoon and they charged us 230 baht for the same amount that our last hotel charged 80. This was the icing on the cake.
It just reconfirmed that you get what you pay for. Oh, but wait, we paid 1450 baht a night so that isn't true. More than any other hotel on our month long trip.
Needless to say we were very disappointed with our stay.

p.s. the second star was for the caramel macchiato the next door coffee shop served. the best I've had

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The owner of the hotel and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is located inside the old city very close from the North gate. However, there is a main road with a lot of traffic in front of the hotel. It was then quite noisy in the room.

The rooms are nice but have very small windows. They are nicely decorated (modern style) and have all amenities of a 3*-4* hotel. AC is efficient. Flat TV, fridge etc in the room.
Bathroom is nice.

There is a coffee shop located next to the lobby which offers good coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

It takes 10 minutes in a taxi from the airport. This bouthiques hotel has small room with the northern style decoration , 3 storey. There is 2 shops at G floor One shop sell coffee and bakery. Another shop sell the interesting souvenir. This premise is near canal surround the city.

Stayed December 2556
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Would certainly recommend this place, the staff could not possibly be any more helpful and polite, they really aim to offer a service. Really appreciated the contact from shinee to confirm the booking I had made through booking.com. The hotel is located in a pretty decent location with everything you could need practically on your door step, a bar 30m one side a 7-11 30m the other side, a coffee shop adjoined to the hotel as well as a tour company, a taxi bus rank is also just over the road taking people to places like the temple on the mountain and other places at reasonable prices ( 50 bahrt to temple) the night bazaar just a 20
Min walk of 5 mins in tuk .
Our room was compact although it was the basic although the bed was probably the most comfy in Thailand, it was a struggle to get out of it some mornings. I've seen a few reviews commenting on the noise being excessive, to be fair yeah it is a little noisy but I'm a very light sleeper and the noise wasn't a problem at bed time and the noise in the morning acted abit like an alarm clock and help to get me out of the wonderful bed !!
The bed room was cleaned and made on a daily basis the bathroom was very clean and modern with good shower.
I very much doubt you could find better value and service for you money in Chiang Mai! If I ever go back ill certainly be stopping here again

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. It is close to shops and the owners are very helpful in navigating popular sites and restaurants. Upon check in, we were greeted by the friendly female owner who immediately provided us with a map and highlighted popular attractions and must do's. My friend and I originally checked into a room on the second floor and found an ant problem. The owner changed our room without hesitation and was very apologetic. For those who don't travel to SE Asia often or are not accustomed to the insects, it was reassuring the hotel was so understanding.The room and bathroom is very modern and the bed was the most comfortable bed in my 2 week trip. There is a cute cafe downstairs which served great iced lattes. There is also very reasonable laundry serve at 50 baht per 1kg and it was a relief to have fresh clothes when traveling so long. The hotel is very close to the famous Sunday night market and there is great food vendors right outside the old town gates where you can get famous pork over rice (ask hotel for more info). The hotel also lends bikes for 50 baht per day which is a great way to explore Chiang Mai. For those interested in excursions, a must do is Siam Rice cooking school and Woody's elephant farm. Lastly, a few reviews mentioned the traffic noise. Our room faced the street and I never found the noise an issue. I am a light sleeper but had no problems. I loved this city and hope to return soon!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Achill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

A nice new hotel near the canal on the north side of the old town, the staff were the best part. It seems like a family run business with kids, grannies and aunts bringing some life to the place, all of them were incredibly helpful and friendly. Making phone calls on our behalf, arranging taxis, tours, giving recommendations, directions and having laundry done. All with a great smile and a happy disposition. The rooms were nicely furnished, though there is a small amount but constant sound of traffic from the street it wouldn't disturb your sleep. The hotel is well situated with a short (5-10) walk to the main tourist streets, weekend street markets and some fantastic local restaurants. Try the chinese-thai yellow walled restaurant around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor to lessen traffic noise.