“Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

+66 53 233 459
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, Thai, Vegetarian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Moat is a cozy restaurant/bar located, as the name suggests, beside the moat that encloses Chiang Mai's Old City. We serve a huge variety of Northern Thai, Central Thai, international and vegetarian dishes (over 300 items on the menu!) so drop by for a big breakfast fry-up or a fiery tom yam! Plenty of drinks including fresh fruit juices and shakes, beers, wines and cocktails. Newspapers and magazines to browse, live sports on Satellite TV.
New York City, New York
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

During a 2 day stay in Chiang Mai, my wife and I visited this place twice. Both times the food and service were excellent. We probably ordered 9 different dishes here and they were all delicious. I especially liked the jungle curry and the fish filet in garlic chilli sauce. The Chiang Mai sausage is also one of my favorites but you can get that at the market much cheaper and just as tasty. This restaurant is comfortable and the wait staff were extremely friendly.

I might have given a 4.5/5 rather than 5/5 because there's a cocktail menu that the waiter had no idea how to serve, fine for a beer drinker like me but my wife was looking for something fruity and had to settle for rum and coke. He also mixed up one of our dishes but the mistake was delicious and we told him that it was ok as he was trying to offer us something to make up for the mistake.

All in all, we went there for delicious food and got exactly that. I would definitely recommend this place and will return there if I ever make it back to that city.

• Visited December 2012

Bangkok, Thailand
“Yummy! And 3pages of veggie options!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We has the northern thai curry (tofu,ginger, spicy! Divine.) the cashew chicken (yummy!) and the northern thailand appetizer platter. The eggplant chili that comes on the platter was so smoky and amazing i would consider it for a meal next time i visit. The mango and sticky rice with coconut was phenomenal- i considered taking one with me to go but its better warm and fresh so i will just have to return! Im a vegetarian so sometimes its difficult to fine good options but i definitely saw quite a few choices on this menu.
We ate at 7 and there was no wait. The service was fine.
One thing- the map brings you to the wrong place. On the map gps it points you too far south. Once you get to the 7/11 you are too far, turn around and walk back up past the mong coffee and the car dealership- almost a block.

bournemouth,dorset
“Great food,service & good prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food, very reasonable prices & polite service. Mango &sticky rice there was the best I've had throughout my month in Thailand - the rice was fresh & warm, the mangoes delicious. The beef with garlic & black pepper was delicious. I would definittely go again.

Stittsville, Ontario
“Unfortunately Not as Wonderful as we had Hoped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I dined one evening in January at The Moat after reading quite wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor - we went out of our way to find it, and were quite pleased that we would get to experience what we believed would be a pretty great meal. I find it dificult to write the following review because I am not normally a complainer, but really, we did not have an amazing experience.

I would like to first point out, however, that the atmosphere, location and staff were great. There is no question that the staff were working hard to try and serve everyone, but they did seem to be struggling. We sat outside, and the restaurant was pretty much full the whole time we were there. It is not a large restaurant - perhaps 10 or 12 tables. Please understand that we have no problems whatsoever with long waits for food, and in fact, quite enjoy a leisurely dinner that does not feel rushed. So no problems with the fact that the food took quite some time in coming. We started by ordering drinks and appetizers, and then followed up with our dinner order after perusing the menu for awhile longer. I had ordered a Rum and cola, and honestly when it came, I to this day have no idea what I drank - it was definitely not rum and coke. But I let that pass. There was not a lot of English spoken and it was beyond my scope at that point to try and explain.

While we sipped on our drinks and waited for appetizers to come, one of our two main dishes was brought out - no cutlery, no napkins, no rice. We tried to say that we had not yet received our appetizers, and the dish was taken away. Another waiter came by and we explained what was happening. He apologized, and shortly after, appetizers were brought to us at the same time as our main courses - again. And this time, that original dish that had been brought to us was no longer particularly warm. And we still had to politely ask, again, for cutlery.

Three times during our dinner at The Moat, staff members rushed by us, hopped on scooters and went off, only to return 15 minutes later with food, presumably purchased from a market. The entire event appeared to be disorganized chaos. When it came time to pay the bill, my husband spent 15 minutes inside trying to sort it all out with the staff. I will grant that the food we got was actually quite good, but given the glut of amazing restaurants throughout Chiang Mai, I am not at all sure why one would choose to go through this experience again. We did not have a bad meal at any time during our two and a half weeks in Thailand, so I must regretfully say that I would not recommend The Moat based on the experience we had while there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ronemmons, Owner at The Moat, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write this long review, and sorry the experience wasn't as wonderful as expected. If you visited in January, those were the dizzy days when The Moat was in the top three restaurants in Chiang Mai on TripAdvisor, which meant we were packed out every day, and unfortunately a couple of our younger staff weren't quite up to the task, either language-wise or serving-wise; they have now 'moved on'.

For anyone contemplating a visit, I'd like to reassure you that our current staff are more competent, so they should know what a rum and coke is and which dishes should be served first for foreigners (perhaps you know that the notion of 'courses' is alien to Thais). And to enhance your dining pleasure, you'll find the walls of our restaurant are now adorned with striking images of Chiang Mai's most intriguing attraction - the moat that encircles the old city and passes by our door.
Denver, Colorado
“The Reviews are Correct”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went here 3 times. Each time the food was wonderful. Some reviews indicate long wait times but I did not experience that (maybe because I eat dinner at 6:00 pm. Highly recommended!!

• Visited February 2013