“Just far enough away from Chiangmai CBD.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Athitan

You added The Athitan to your Saves list
The Athitan
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   888 Moo 7 | Pa Daed, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #72 of 333 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Beijing
“Just far enough away from Chiangmai CBD.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

About a 100~200 tuk-tuk or songtau ride away from Kad Suan Keau shopping mall, The Athitan brought me backto my ffirst visit to Chiangmai 34 years ago … but better. Nice Thai style bedrooms and super nice bathrooms, cozy two-storey stucco buildings, nice pool and lovely gardens. Easy enough to catch transportation into town, but I suggest you take a photo of the nearby road sign and a tape recording of a native Thai speaker giving directions and keep them on your phone ready to flash to a driver. Only complaint: why in a country with an abundance of fresh fruit would you serve canned juice at breakfast?

• Stayed June 2013
TheAthitan, General Manager at The Athitan, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Mr. David K,

We are preparing special cards to be given to our clients when they leave the property and these will include our address in Thai as well as a map to make your return to the hotel more easier. Thank you for the suggestion which we will try to improve herewith.

Having just started my new assignment at this beautiful property, we are planning a number of changes for even more improvement and the change of the juices for breakfast will be one of them for sure.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again in the hopefully nearby future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I'm writing this from the hotel, the free WiFi is great. This is a nice hotel, very large bathroom, decent size bedroom, and a balcony overlooking the entrance. I'm in room 221 which is (I think) one of the better rooms. I'm on the second floor, the staircase is winding and narrow, and there is no elevator. If you have a mobility problem you should definitely ask for the 1st floor. The included breakfast was modest, but adequate. The pool is fairly small, but appears to be very clean and nice. The staff is very...very...very helpful and friendly even though most do not speak much English. The hotel is in a poor location, there isn't hardly anything close by. I did walk up the street to a local convenience store and buy a couple cans of Coke. It was a little cheaper there than the hotel's mini bar prices. I'm not sure how secure the front door is after you lock it, the lock didn't look too good and the door was warped. I'm sure that it could easily be forced open. However, there was a nice in room safe for your valuables.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Travel1948,

Thank you very much for your very nice feedback on your recent stay at The Athitan. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance and design of our lovely hotel.

We will also make sure to pass your positive comments concerning the staff to our entire team members, which will make them very happy. They do realize that it is the guests that pay their salaries.

Having just started my new assignment at this beautiful property, we are planning a number of changes for even more improvement and the changes in the breakfast will be one of them for sure.

In the meantime, locks have been improved and we are currently also installing door spies in each door for our guests safety.

Furthermore, you will be pleased to know that we will introduce our daily shuttle service to the downtown (Thapae Gate) with our luxury mini bar at set times of the day to make it all more comfortable for our guests.

Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Staying at The Athitan is like living in some indeterminate old time while enjoying 20th century luxury. The rooms are laid out so you feel like you have your own private entrance to an ancient palace. The room doors are unusual and heavy, with tricky locks and old-fashioned keys that took some getting used to. Inside, you feel like you are a queen in your regal Asian chamber, with huge paintings built into the bed frame, dominating the room, and other artistic touches. The bathroom is amazing, with an old stone tub/shower stall that provides excellent hot water, a counter with two sinks and really cool soap dispensers, and many small touches I've never seen anywhere else. Outside, the gardens and little shrine and shaded rest area make you feel like you are in a peaceful temple. The staff all wear picturesque costumes and are very kind and helpful. Breakfast is great if you get there early - they serve you your choice of eggs, etc. at the table; later, it seems, you have to load your own plate at a buffet table. But the room is sunny and pleasant, the tables nicely prepared with colorful tablecloths, and the pace unhurried. The pool just outside the breakfast room looked very refreshing - a long blue rectangle tucked into a pretty deck - but I did not swim, partly because of mosquitoes that come from the river next to the hotel. Likewise, I had to leave my (free) Internet session in the reception area prematurely because I was getting eaten alive. Take care not to let any of these voracious insects into you room!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Travelnut12309,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback on your recent stay at The Athitan.

Having just started my new assignment at this beautiful property I thought it would be nice to at least show our appreciation, although a bit late. We aim to improve this in the future.

We are further working on even more positive improvements and hope that someday we will be able to greet you again at our hotel.

We will also start supplying a very effective mosquito spray (for certain months of the year) so as to make it more enjoyable for our guests.

Once again, thank you!!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have to say I'm a bit confused by the previous reviewers. They seemed to love the actual hotel, but disliked the location. Who would book a hotel without knowing where it is located...then give the hotel a poor review because of the location where they chose to stay? That seems odd.

Now that my little rant is over....I have to say, this is a beautiful hotel, sitting right on the banks of the Ping River. Spotlessly clean and very tastefully decorated. The grounds are gorgeous too. My wife and I stayed at The Athitan for 5 nights. Yes, it's 10-15 minutes away from the old center of Chiangmai by cab/tuk tuk and that's what's so beautiful about it. You can enjoy the night market and the old city and then escape to a place that is absolutely quiet and peaceful. While central Chiangmai can be quite chaotic, it's SO nice to come home after a long day of sightseeing, take a dip in the pool, and go to bed. No noise. No cars. Just peace and quiet. Also, just to set the record straight, you never have a problem getting a tuk tuk home. Not once did we have a problem...and it cost 150 TB every night. Yes, $5 bucks. Not too much to ask (I don't think) unless you're seriously budget constrained. The staff even has a map that they gave us to show the tuk tuk drivers exactly where the hotel is (since it’s brand brand new and everyone isn’t familiar with it yet). Breakfasts were great and the staff really went out of their way for my wife who is a vegetarian. In fact, for breakfast they’d make her a huge special meal…even when she wasn’t expecting it. They were SO nice. The pool is wonderful too with big comfy towels and deck chairs with big umbrellas.

Yes the staff is a little difficult to communicate with as far as their English sometimes….but hello....we're in Thailand, not Florida! The staff always got things right, though...and they were always very helpful to us. A wonderful hotel in a fantastic location. Cheers!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Calbert C,

Better late than never, hence we would very much like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU for your wonderful review and feedback on your recent stay at The Athitan.

Rest assured, this will be share with all our team members and they will love to receive good news like this. They are all aware that it is the guests that are paying their salaries.

As far as our location is concerned, I do tend to agree with your opinion in full and would indeed expect that our guests know the location before they actually book it.

However, our newly introduced shuttle service to downtown (Thapae Gate) with our luxury minivan at certain times of the day will surely make their stay even more comfortable.

Arie J.M de Keijzer

Having just started my new assignment at this beautiful property, we are planning a number of changes for even more improvement and a daily shuttle service to downtown (Thapae Gate) at certain times of the day is one of them.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a nice little hotel with about 25 room. It is only a few months old so everything is new and sparkly which is nice. I stayed in a superior room which is very small but nicely decorated and the bathroom is a decent size with a great shower, lots of water pressure and hot water. The internet works perfectly. The hotel room only has windows out to the walkway in front of the room so you kinda have to keep it shut and blinds drawn. It has a small bench on the walkway but no real balcony or patio. The pool is a nice clean little pool with nice soft sunbeds and big beach towels. Breakfast was quite good as well. The only (severe) problem with this hotel in my opinion is the location if you do not have a rental car! It is only about 4 km from the city center BUT it takes 10-15 min and we had lots of trouble getting a tuk-tuk or taxi - is is pretty far out in the countryside and pitch black at night time. The hotel runs a shuttle at 6 pm only and we paid 250 bath per trip. The other problem is the confusion with Athitan village which is NOT the same hotel but apparently more wellknown. I paid around 100 US per night and that is WAY too much - i would think 50 US is about the right price - I stayed at Le meridien for the same price almost and it is right in front of the night bazaar so when you add on the money spend on tuk-tuk and taxies per day it is the same price so definetely overpriced. However the staff is extremely nice and helpful but with limited English (2 can speak English). Another thing is the noise - it is quite noisy at night from the road running along the hotel so eventhough you are at the countryside it is noisy.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool. The have a private balcony.