“Big Safe Clean Hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SOHOstel

You added SOHOstel to your Saves list
SOHOstel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   64/2 Loy Khro Rd Chang Klan, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #101 of 310 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Bangkok
“Big Safe Clean Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is big, clean, proper hostel in Chiang Mai. You could compare their facilities with YHA in New Zealand. I feel safe, comfortable with female dorm room and share bathroom with rain shower (I don't really understand why do they need rain shower while the water was just so soft!).

The decoration is nice which could create some smile to you while some staff make you piss off. So far so good for a clean safe and big hostel in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Be sure you sleep on right bed as it shown on your key card, otherwise THB 1000 will be charged. Thi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed 5 days booked 3 online and when I arrived I booked a Jungle trek through soho. They ended up making me pay for a night while I was in the jungle which I was okay with bc I wanted to keep my stuff safe in my locker. However that didn't work out they decided to change my room 4 times in 5 days and I had to check my luggage with the luggage lady. When I tried to ask if I could stay in 1 room the whole time bc of baggage safety the fat lady with a scar on her neck decided to yell at me and the other lady behind the desk trying to help me. I calmly said I don't think u understand my question and she then replied NO U DON'T UNDERSTAND! I walked away @ that point. She then proceeded to stare me down or "mean mug" me for the remaining 3 days. I would walk up and ask for a new wifi and she would turn & look at another staff member to help me when all it required was handing over a small bit of paper. Talk about awkward. now I'm never going back there. They don't treat guests well and bc if their street front location they are always getting walk ins and could careless about you. A man came into our room 3 times without knocking just too look around and say "You check out today". This started at 10:40 and check out wasn't until 12. Don't do it. There is a reason thy are "affordable" they are a baht factory.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I spent 4 nights here during my stay in Chiang Mai in November 2013. The building is lovely, with a huge kitchen & seating area in the lobby. The rooms & showers are very clean also. However I just found it to be a bit too big to meet people, nobody was ever in the one place at the same time. Wifi is also touch & go and you constantly have to re-enter the password. I also didn't find the staff very helpful & their English was poor. I would recommend this hostel to backpackers who are looking for a clean hostel in a good location but for those who are hoping to meet people I would recommend elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

To start with, i've worked in couple very well rated hostels before so please don't treat this as another whiny guest's silly complaints. Also I compare the value not in general but to average value for that price inChiang Mai. I stayed there 3 nights, lured by modern design and kitchen available for guests. My only guestion while booking a bed was if wifi works in all the rooms. I made it clear that's a conditio sine qua non for me. The answer was of course it's excellent. Well.. I waited 3 days for any sign of connection. Which was frustrating expecially as it revealed the poor service and unfriendly attitude of the staff. I stayed in a dorm. Not very spacious but clean enough except for ants. I just moved to a new place and found some coming out of my bag. Bathrooms vere really bad designed, no space to put anything, tiny showers and again plenty of ants. Also with the amount of guests in the place they should be cleaned far more often.. It's really disgusting when the only space u can place your toiletry bag is wet, covered with hair and ants etc floor.. And yes there is a kitchen, but the whole fun of cooking is to make it a social event while in 9floor hostel there's just too many of them to actually sit and chat, grab a beer and make a pasta together. Too bed. Not recommended at all.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they had an art class for free where I could learn how to fold a Loi Krathong piece for the festival going on. Its not just a place to stay, it a FUN PLACE for people like me!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

when I booked Sohostel, I did not respect much about this because the price of dorm room is so cheap. However, the facilities are much better than I respected. Everything is so clean, especially restrooms. I love the decor and the pace of this place and the best thing is that Sohostel is very near night bazzar and Sunday market. I think I will come back here whenever going to Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Beds are red which is cool. Place is very clean. Their always seemed to be a cleaning lady around during the day no matter what floor you're on. Lockers in rooms with the option of using your own lock. Id reccomend a lower bunk as the top can be a bit wobbly but they seem stable enough. a personal light and electric socket at each bed is a nice touch ( even the top bunks). Staff seem friendly enough being able to help me each time I came to them with an issue. Location is nice and central, a few to many gogo bars on the same street but its by no means a deal breaker. Overall nice place for travellers and backpackers, good price, clean basics.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to SOHOstel? Share your experiences!