“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Varada Place

You added Varada Place to your Saves list
Varada Place
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Ratchaphruek road., Changpuak, | Muang, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand   |
Ranked #16 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I must say this hotel is the best I have experienced, with service and user friendly staff. The rooms have air con. , microwave and fridge. Room and bed seviced every day. Two free bottles of water included, everyday. Mrs Verada will spend as long as it takes to explain whatever you want to know and she will tell you in English. This Verada place is a haven you will only appreciate once you have experienced it. Believe me.

• Stayed May 2014
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, July 29, 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in June 2014 for 5 nights, we found the owners very accommodating and helpful full of good advice and tips on the area. All the staff were very friendly and we felt safe here as they have a 24hr security guard in site. The hotel is opposite a large mall and has a few restaurants nearby which I cannot recommend these were the worst food I experienced in Thailand, go further afield and try the street food it's great at all the markets and so cheap just ask for freshly cooked stuff and you will be fine. The hotel has all the required facilities and the added extra of expert advice is great! We enjoyed our stay here but would recommend hiring a bike as the hotel is far from the centre and the tuk tuks often scam you out of money claiming it's far away or after a certain time so you must pay more. However only hire a bike if you are a competent driver as the traffic is horrendous and the other drivers are ruthless and will not give you any space. Lots to see and do ask Varada the owner for advice they know everything there is to know! :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was a great value find, close to most places by a cheap tuk tuk. And the owner was always there to help.

The rooms were spotless and had a tv and fridge also. The beds were very comfy.

Would recommend to anyone looking for good value comfort.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights and was very happy with the room, service, location and especially the owner. Varada was really helpful and even let me use a bicycle for the 5 days for free. There isn't a lift however I was lucky to be on the second floor. V.Place isn't in the centre, however it's in the nice part of town near some chain restaurants and shopping malls. It took me just 15 mins on the bicycle to get to the main gate to the old part of town. It only takes 5 minutes in a red bus (20 baht). Overall I was very happy and would stay here again on my next visit.

Stayed June 2014
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The rooms were really clean and spacious and for 500thb a night amazing value. The bathroom was great with a proper shower which is fantastic compared to the 'wet rooms' common in most hotels in Asia. Varada even helped my boyfriend with our washing using the washing machines outside. The ability to wash clothes ourselves and hang them on the balcony (Varada even gave us extra hangers when we asked) was great as we really dont like leaving our clothes in the hands of a laundry where we have had our clothes shrunk in the past, Varada even sells washing powder. When we asked how much it would cost to get to Chiang Mai Festival Shopping centre Varada was heading in that direction and took us there at no cost and even though we were leaving too late to catch the free shuttle bus she found out when the bus ran and where we should get it from. Thanks Varada!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I decided to stay at Varada based on the reviews on Tripadvisor.

First the good things:

The owner Varada is beyond helpful and knows Chiang Mai very well. She and her husband are always trying as much as possible to make their guests feel comfortable. I needed dishes, Varada brought some for me. I asked for a kettle, Varada brought a kettle to my room. No extra cost for these.

The room and the whole building is clean, very clean. I saw once the staff cleaning the tiles with a teeth brush. Everything is new and very well maintained.

The place is extremely safe. The is a security guard at night and at day time only people with key card can enter the building. I never worried about my stuff and nothing happened.

The furnitures in the room were good and new, comfortable bed, new fridge, microwave, a desk, 2 chairs, TV table, closet, and a night table with a lamp. Basically we had everything we needed. The bathroom was spacious with a seperate shower (no floor flood!), and the shower had a great water pressure.

If you stay 1 month, the room cost 4500 Baht/month (~100EUR) - definitely a great value.

The internet was good, fast and reliable. It's not free though, it cost 400 Baht extra (per month).

Good aircondition.

Location is fine, near the moat and 5 min walk to a shopping mall.

Now the not so good things.

The rooms were very cheap but come with a lot of extra costs, such as...
- Room cleaning cost 200 Baht every time and there is no way to say you don't need that or clean the room yourself. If you stay longer, Varada insists that her staff is cleaning your room every week and will charge you for it. So if you stay a month, consider another 800 Baht for cleaning.

- Bed sheet rental cost 500 Baht. Consider bringing your own.

- Even though I don't watch TV and actually the TV program was completely shut down for the last week because of the government, everyone has to pay 100 Baht for the TV per month.

- Electricity is 10 Baht per unit, that rate is quite high. The government rate is only 5 Baht and most other serviced apartments charge around 7 Baht. Maybe something to consider if you use a lot A/C.

There is a construction opposite of the building. For the complete time of our stay we woke up from the noise in the morning. Make sure to get a room on the backside, if the construction is still going on. There is also a bar next door which can be quite noisy, I would recommend not to stay at the site that faces the bar.

The rooms are very small. We had 2 single beds in the room, put together since we're a couple and it took a lot of space (2x2meter) - I wish we just had a queen size bed (140x200) and more space in the room. When my partner sat at the chair next to the desk, I would have jump over the bed to reach the bathroom as there was no space to pass.
The rooms are also quite dark, because the furnitures are black. We used the light all day as there is not much natural light coming from the balcony. We barely used the balcony as there was no table or anything outside, it was just occupied by the A/C. Basically the balcony is only for hanging clothes and not really inviting to sit and read a book there. The rooms are super clean, but not very cozy or giving any homey feeling.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, because the rooms were quite small for 2 people and definitely too dark for my taste. I really need bright and spacious rooms to feel comfortable for a long-term stay.

Would I recommend Varada to my friends? Yes! Definitely. Because I still think the place offers a great value for the price and because it's super clean and very safe. The owner makes a difference and she's really taking care of her guests.
Thanks for the hospitality, Ms. Varada.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We arrived early in the morning and we very tired and received a very warm welcome. The lady provided us with a map and explained about the different attractions in Chiang Mai and the locations of the various markets. The guesthouse was spotless! Our room was perfect, very functional as it had everything we needed. We really enjoyed our stay and this place was excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, July 29, 2014

Been to Varada Place? Share your experiences!