“Do yourself a favour and stay here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Varada Place

You added Varada Place to your Saves list
Varada Place
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Ratchaphruek road., Changpuak, | Muang, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand   |
Ranked #16 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Perth
“Do yourself a favour and stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed for 2 weeks in February 2014, and found the room to be clean, comfortable and well located. Initially, it lacked a bed side lamp, but the moment I mentioned to Varada that fact, she and her husband bought bed side lamps, not only for my room, but all rooms!. Varada was extremely helpful with loaning of tools to fix my suitcase, finding a car and motorbike to hire, when my own efforts for a car on for the same day were unsuccessful, and to her excellent suggestions on where to visit. The room doesn't have a safe, but there is a friendly night watchman every night, secure pass access to the rooms, and the valuables I had slightly hidden in my room were all there upon check-out. Varada assured me there has never been a problem with missing items. The rooms are cleaned daily and 2 bottles of water provided. The fridge was more than big enough, plus I had a kettle and microwave. Plenty of washing machines on the side of the building, and I dried my clothes below the air conditioner on the balcony of my room. My room didn't have a view, but if I want to see something, I go out.
I think Varada's good English from living in England and exposure to western ways, helps her provide first class service to the needs of foreigners visiting Chiang Mai for short and long term stays. Varada and her husband don't live at the apartments, so you may not see her sometimes, but she was there more than enough. I also believe the room is fairly priced. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view, but the rooms without a view, maybe quieter.
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for your writing to my place . i am very thank you for your asking me a table lamp then make me got for every rooms now . I hope you are enjoy your holiday in Thailand .
Varada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed on and off a total of five nights over a two week period. Varada was extremely accommodating. She has plenty of advice to give so don't be afraid to ask. She will show you where to go and tell you how much you should pay. She also confirmed a booking at the Elephant Nature Park (a must do!) for me which was really helpful. The rooms are modern, clean and a good size. You get fresh towels and two bottles of water each day and the wifi is excellent. A good location also just outside the old city with great massage downstairs and a laundry right next door. I was staying by myself and felt perfectly safe as there was excellent security. I will definitely be staying here again on my next visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your comment to my place .
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed six nights upon arriving in Chiang Mai. Since we were jet lagged and waking up in the middle of the night it was nice to have the T.V. , fridge and microwave. The near by mall with supermarket was handy. Varada gives very good advice and allowed us to have mail sent there for later pickup. Thank you Varada and Abe.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you , I will do my best for every customer .
Regards .
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well I stayed here for my first few nights in Chiang Mai.... After reading everyones reviews I completely agree... Very Clean, Very safe, Very nice location... Very nice people.. fast wifi.. all the things you need.. the air cons good, fridge, freezer, microwave... free glass bottles of water everyday.. excellent security......10/10 from me! And the owners are both lovely and very helpfull... I decided to stay for one month!!! :D

Room Tip: I think all rooms are very good really.....
Thank you very much .
Take care .
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Like so many who have gone before I've been completely satisfied and pleased that I chose Varada Place for my time in Chiang Mai. After deciding to spend six months in Thailand my search for a place to reside ended after reading the reviews and corresponding directly with Varada. She was very detailed in describing what to expect and what the monthly rate would be. It has been a perfect fit for me in many ways. I understood before arriving that my my monthly rate would be about Bht 6000 and considering very affordable restaurants in the area I've done very well on a limited retirement income.

It seems to be quite rare in this area that the owners of a Guest House are directly involved in Managing their property. Verada and Abe do everything they can to make sure their customers are well cared for. The day I arrived Varada drove me to a variety of stores to make sure I had everything I needed to settle in for a longer stay. There are many others who keep returning to this place for longer stays, and each month Abe and Verada organize a very reasonably priced tour for guests. I enjoyed trips to the Golden Tiangle and to Hill Tribe Villages.

I see that there have been some complaints from short term guests that the owners are not in the office when they arrive and that they were expecting to have their room available before the 2 P.M. check in time. My experience here over the long term is that if a reserved room is cleaned and ready guests are always allowed to move into it even at 8 A.M. If a previous guest has not yet checked out when you arrive please don't expect an early occupancy. Just ask the Housekeeper to put your luggage in the office and go around the corner to Amazing Sandwich for breakfast. When you arrive early on the train or bus like I did just give the Red Car driver the address or have him call Varada for directions. It's all very simple if you aren't expecting luxury hotel pick up and service. :-) Once you get checked in let Varada or the Tour office next door recommend activities. I especially like this location because it isn't within the Old City but allows easy access to it. Nearby there some very good restaurants and I'd recommend ImmAim near the YMCA if you happen to prefer Veggie meals like I do.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor in the middle or on the west end would probably be the quietest.
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you very much David . I am very appreciate that you are understand my situation .
I try to make every customers happy as much as that I can .
Looking forward to see you in next 7-8 month .
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Fantastic place too stay in Chiang Mai. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating and the hotel is spotlessly clean. Security is excellent and we enjoyed chatting with the relaxed owners. Within walking distance of major shopping centres and restaurants/coffee shops, this place is great value for money. Have not found a more comfortable bed in Thailand in that price range. Thank you guys.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you . You are so kind for my place .
Best wishes.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here for four nights and had a rather personalized service which I had not experience anywhere before. Ms. Varada, the owner of the place, was very helpful to accommodate all our needs, from our inquiries of the road in Chiang Mai, place to visit, where to eat, car rental and just about everything. She spoke English, so communication was easy.

One of the review I read of this place looking like a dentist clinic is rather true. But it's not like your walking into a shabby clinic. With the security in place where only people with key card is able to access the place, I feel it's a safe place for woman traveler. At night, a security guard will be taking care of the place. Do caution that there are house rules where no drinking and making noise is in place. So this place is only suitable if you are staying in a small group. Not a place you can check-in and crash the room with your mates. I was out most of the time and only back at night to sleep so I don't have a problem there. My only problem of the place is that I had wish it is located at a more happening place. This is a quiet neighborhood, so do not expect bazaar or something like that of similar atmosphere that runs into late at night.

Room facilities:
1. Bathroom with shower and heater. The sink no hot water though. As for toiletries, only bar soap is provided.
2. A full size personal fridge.
3. wardrobe
4. desk for two people
5. tv (crt type) with quite a number of English spoken channel
6. water boiling jug (when requested)
7. tea (funnily, no sugar or cream provided)
8. complimentary two bottles of drinking water is provided everyday.
9. Air-conditioner
10. balcony (the aircond compressor is located here). Good to hang your wash clothes or smoke if you're a smoker.
11. choice of single or double bed.
12. the flooring is tiles. During cold weather, it would be nice to have bedroom slipper but none is provided.
13. mosquito netting.
14. unlimited high speed wifi (at least 3G).
Overall, the room is clean and the place is safe, the only important thing for me on a budget.

A plus point for the place is the amenities surrounding the area. However, need to walk a little to get to some of the place.
1. laundry service. You can do it yourself, or let someone do it.
2. a travel agent in vicinity if you want to arrange for activity while your in Chiang Mai.
3. No food stall nearby, but if you walk around, you are bound to encounter one.
4. A shopping mall Kat Suen Keao is nearby (need to walk out to the main road). At night, food stalls are set up at this place.
5. Hair salon. There are 3 of them within 100m of each other. I got my hair wash for THB50.
6. convenience store.

Downside during my stay:
1. construction nearby. but it stop during the night.
2. power cut-off on two out of the four nights during my stay which lasted for roughly 10 minutes.
3. lights in the corridor under repair, so the area is dim lighted.

This place should be consider more of a hostel rather than a hotel. It kind of reminded me of student's hostel during my undergraduate. But it is an awesome place for the price.

check-in at 2pm onwards.
check-out before 10am.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2014

Been to Varada Place? Share your experiences!