“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 331 hotels in Chiang Mai
Perth
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Empress for 7 days with another couple and there's not much else to say other than it's a must stay hotel. 4 star hotel but a 5 star service. We had a fantastic experience. Clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff that will do anything to please. Don't look further if you are looking for a hotel in Chiang Mai because the Empress is all you need.
Thank you to the staff of the hotel for making our holiday just that little more special.

Room Tip: Go for the VIP floor your stay will be full of surprises

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visited The Empress again as I was so impressed last time I visited. I stayed for 7 nights as part of a package tour. Nothing has really changed and many of the superb staff are still there.

I was so pleased with the check-in last time that I was a bit surprised at the check-in this time. They weren't ready for me, and no room was available, It was about 2pm, which is normal check in time. The check-in staff did not appear to have checked my requests and I was asked to wait. I went to take a seat and was stopped before I could sit. A room was available that suited my request. Confused?

The room was fine and I was pleased with it, until I turned on the AC. On a low setting, the noise is bearable, however, after 10 - 15 minutes the AC changed itself to medium, which is very noisy, and would not switch down again. The room was incredibly warm without the AC and sleeping was difficult. I made 3 complaints to the reception staff over the course of the week, but nothing was done. Other than that, the room was great.

The hotel now has Wifi and although I didn't use it, it was available at a charge I think. Apart from that I cannot think of anything that has changed, and that is a problem. Even the A La Carte menu is the same as 18 months ago. There is now a very heavy business presence in the hotel and I did feel this detracted somewhat from the holiday guests experience. Shame really.

This is not a bad hotel and I certainly don't want people to think it is. It is a real pleasure to stay there and the staff are fantastic, especially the housekeeping team and the restaurant/bar staff. But someone has taken their eye off the ball. I think the staff know it too.

I was unfortunate enough to have been very ill while I was there and the staff were fantastic in helping me and looking after me. I couldn't ask have asked to be treated better and I thank all members of staff for their help and kindness for those few days.

In summary, this is still great place to stay but a review of what they do and how they do it might soon be needed. And most importantly, the top top priority must be to modernize the AC at the earliest opportunity throughout the hotel. This is desperately needed!!

Room Tip: Check the AC works properly before you unpack.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

WOW !!!!!, What service the staff provided, we stayed there for 7 days in the executive suite and could not believe the service the hotel provided. The staff went out of their way to make our stay the best experience we have ever had at any hotel, very friendly, happy and warm staff always smiling and making sure you were happy.
Food was excellent and a very high standard and a wide range available to suit everyone, rooms were very clean and cleaners were very thourough.
Would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get and executive room/suite, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

When we arrived we were shown to our rooms on the 17th (Executive floor) but the rooms were twin rather than the double ones we had booked and the air con in one wasn't working correctly so we were quickly upgraded to the Executive suite for the same price, We were treated like royalty by every person who worked there (especially management) they are just so friendly and polite and bend over backwards to accommodate your requests.
The hotel was very clean the beds were comfortable and big and the facilities were excellent.

We received a complimentary dinner with appetizer, entree (beautifully presented), buffet main and desert you would expect from a 5 star hotel and to top it off gifts for each person (there were 4 of us) and a poesy of flowers for our wives. we were waited on hand and foot. We also received complimentary drink vouchers on arrival.

The pool has just about all day sun its big but not deep so don't dive in There is a bar where the bar staff bring the drinks to you

The hotel offered free WIFI which we took advantage of and had no problem getting connected or surfing the net

Food: the breakfast had everything imaginable – Western/Thai, hot/cold, cooks cooking up eggs how you like them eg omelets, scrambled, fried etc, bacon, waffles cooked on the spot, fresh fruit all cut up, hot/cold drinks.

Room service is also very good, at the door within 10 min.

A band plays nice music at night from about 9pm-1am in the lounge bar next to the restaurant and happy hour is from 5-8pm.(buy one get one free)

Every night they turned down the sheets in our room and put chocolates and a flower with a card wishing us a good nites sleep on each pillow We also always had fresh flowers in the room each day.

Tuk-tuks and the red cars are just a 1min walk down the drive, the fare for four is 80B (20B ea) anywhere in the city.(don't pay any more) the nite bazaar and markets are within walking distance and the Pantip Plaza is just up the road if you want PC and electrics,
Take a trip to Robinsons Department store (80B) for great shopping and a huge Asian food hall where you can buy just about anything fresh or cooked and have a good feed very cheap

I have nothing but praise for the hotel, the staff and management, we have stayed in 8 different hotels throughout Asia in the last 18 mths, in Saigon, Bali, Bangkok, Phuket, KL and Chiang Mai and the Empress hotel would be without doubt the best in every way and we would definitely stay there again.

Our very special thanks to Mr Paul who was a hive of information, the QC manager and all the staff for a wonderful 7 day stay

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

What a pleasant surprise this hotel was. A rather monolithic building that turned out to be a real diamond of a place to stay. Rooms are very large and beautifully furnished following traditional Thai colors and themes. I loved the attention to detail..the kind of attention you once found in a great hotels in Asia: the roses that festoon the lobby...the use of wood in the rooms...many things too small to mention that when added together provide a special impact and experience. The staff is well trained and service was excellent. This is a local hotel, unaffiliated with any large chain. As such it is provincial, but in the very best sense of the term: A Chiang Mai hotel that embodies the best of Chiang Mai. At the Empress, the value of what you get for what you pay is extraordinary.
It also enjoys a good location with the Night Bazaar just a few blocks away and a wide range of places to eat in the hotel and along the streets near the hotel. If I were to find one negative, it would be the lack of an in-room safe, but don't let that deter you from staying here.

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Empress in Chiang Mai last month. It was our first visit to Chiang Mai and we loved the city. The Empress is well situated for exploring this delightful region, and whilst it is not in the old walled city, it is easy to get anywhere, either on foot or by tuk-tuk. The Night Bazaar is just a ten minute stroll away.

The hotel is large and well-maintained. Our room, on the 10th floor, was clean, spacious, and had a superbly comfortable bed. The view from the window (builder's mess, rubble etc) left much to be desired but that's not the hotel's fault! A bowl of fruit and some lovely fresh flowers were there to welcome us. The bathroom, whilst spotlessly clean, wass tiny and most peculiar. It was impossible to have a shower in there without the water going everywhere! There was a sort of gutter around the bath which caused the water to flow onto the floor. Oh well...

The pool area is large and there are plenty of sun loungers. A refreshing dip in the pool is very welcome in the heat and humidity of northern Thailand.

Breakfast is served in a large, airy but quite characterless dining room. The selection is good, the fruit is fresh, and the omelettes are beautifully made while you wait for them.

I can't really fault the Empress - it's clean, and well positioned, but it lacks that "X-factor". Maybe because it is so large it feels a bit impersonal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Macau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My package is included airport transfers, breakfast and free internet and one deluxe room (high floor, good view and non-smoking). This package only costed me 2,000THB. However, the hotel didn't disappoint me. The staffs were friendly, the location was good (not too far away to the night market and the old chiang mai city)

Although the facilities were little bit old, but you could see that they were in a good condition and properly maintained. The cleanliness of the room and the washroom also were good, the bed was big and comfortable to me, the pillow was soft, I need to sleep with two pillows (they provide four, so it's not a problem to me :-) ), I don't know if the hotel provide any other pillow options.

Moreover, I was surprised by the welcome fruits, and a welcome gift (a small box of chocolate). The stay was pleasant, very good value for money.

Room Tip: high level
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!