“Good value for money but it is not luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Garden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16/ 16 Huay Kaew Road, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand   |
Ranked #184 of 333 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Moscow
“Good value for money but it is not luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We didn't book this hotel in advance and picked it by chance while looking for accommodation in area of Chang Mai close to Doi Suthep. What I liked in short:

1) price was just 1000 baht per room. That included very healthy and variable breakfast
2) wifi was charged separately as 100 baht per day. I think this is also a good practice if somebody doesn't need it then why pay for it
3) comparing with guest houses for prices 300-600 baht with bathroom on the floor, here for slightly more you get normal 3 star hotel service with fully equipped room and good quality mattress.

The downside of such a price is that hotel has quite an outdated infrastructure and bits and pieces of it can produce some strange noises and look shabby. If this is important to you there are many new hotels in town with prices starting from 2000 baht

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I booked tower wing, not the resort wing, so, it was so old , dirty and smell not really good, the room next to my room is so noisy, toilet is not clean I didn't dare to try bathtube, it's like being used since the world warr II. The good thing is early check-in, they provided me early check in so it's very good service, the lobby is looks nice decoration, breakfast is ok but it's better if there are more choices than this. for the location, this's so great, it's like a resort in city, next time if you book this hotel , try other wing, not tower wing

Room Tip: not tower wing pleasr
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We picked this hotel to chill out by the pool and garden and get away from the hustle and bustle of town so we booked the superior garden view room. Unfortunately, this hotel seems more interested in functions than it's guests. All three nights that we stayed here there it was impossible to relax in the garden/pool area because of the wedding/graduation etc. receptions just outside our room. There was no peace in the room due to the noise and karaoke. Any complaints just seemed to amuse the staff. The room was small with a view of the kitchen yard, the bathroom is dirty, the mouldy shower curtain delightful, breakfast isn't worth getting up for and last night empties should be cleaned way before dusk. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: don't book one here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I had a great time in this hotel. The room was small but clean and very nice. The staff was friendly and very helpful, the breakfast delicious (they offered different options of asian and western style breakfast.. from pancakes and cereals to rice with vegetables or meat) . I also used the pool quite often and spent a lot of time in the garden.
The center of Chiang Mai is a little far away (about 20 minutes with a Tuktuk), but the hotel offers free transportation to the Night Bazaar and also to one of the shopping malls (if I remember it correctly). The hotel is located in a very quite neighborhood and one of the shopping streets with a lot of restaurants and coffee shops (Nimmanhemin Road) is in walking distance. The zoo is also not far away. If I should come back to Chiang Mai, I will stay in the same hotel again. I had a really good time and the trips that I booked were also very nice and not too expensive.

Room Tip: i would recommend a garden apartment, my room was very quite and nice
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Halong Bay, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I am only spending my precious travel time writing this so that other people like me don't end up booking a trip in Bangkok that sticks you here with no refunds, like World Travel did. I could not believe how rude the staff was to every person I spoke with who was staying there, not just me! There is a major attitude problem that makes sitting in the lobby highly unpleasant, like you are completely unwelcome, the first time I have felt that way since arriving in Thailand 9 days ago. The guy who books tours, Jimmy, completely scammed everyone into buying express Laos visas for twice the price, telling us we would miss the boat and lose our reservations, etc, if we didn't pay him 1600 baht (50$ instead of the 20 it costs at the border!!!) Worse than that was the extortion scheme they tried to pull when I came back from trekking. I asked for them to check to see if the hot water was working before I settled in and I sat while a young man tried to get it to work unsuccessfully. They did put me in another room with hot water that you really want after a long hard trek. The next morning, Jimmy INSISTED that I go with him and two of the staff to see the "broken" shower and accused me of tampering with it! They told me I had to pay 500 baht. It was working and they saw that, but still no hot water. I refused to pay and they told me that in would have bad karma. Unbelievable. I loved Chiang Mai, the trekking, elephant ride, rafting, at 2 days of cooking school, all which give commissions to the guesthouse. So they got plenty of money from me between the visa scam, the commissions and I paid for internet and even bought their overpriced drinks. The breakfast that was included in my booking consisted of instant orange juice, like Tang, and terrible tea and coffee and only a couple of egg dishes. Even if this place was free, I would not stay there because of how badly they treat tourists. No smiles. I hate writing such a negative review but if you read this, then I hope you avoid this place like the plague (or Dengue fever!) and stay at any one the many nice, cozy, friendly guesthouses all around town. Every other place the travel agent booked has been extraordinary, just not this one, sadly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I really like this hotel, very charming.The rooms were great and clean! The staff is not really welcoming but they are ok. They helped us with our luggages, to open the doors etc... or if we needed some information.
Chiang Mai is great so I would advise everybody to go there when they go to Thailand! :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

terrible terrible hotel!! non-smile workers, bad bad attitude and lack the stuffs we need. I asked for one day pass for internet, the hotel router was bad so I had to kept log in n out during surfing. on the second day they told us they are out of one day pass n has only 15min and 60 min....and they can't think about any other way to help solving the problem. night time manager himself has a terrible attitude to customers...I won't suggest any one to stay in this hotel. I myself won't even consider this hotel at all!!!! be prepared if you are coming to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!