Overall the room was of good value for what we paid and what we got. We took advantage of the 30% off and free breakfast rate. Have to admit I probably would not pay more if such a deal was not in place though.
The location was good. It is near, but not walkable, to the night market and all the restaurants. It was not so bad because the hotel had a complimentary shuttle to the night market every half hour and also had pick-ups too back to the hotel, though not as often. The ride was under 10 minutes.
The staff was friendly and helpful. They might pass you around until they find someone who can speak English well enough to understand you but they tried very hard to address your questions.
We were here at Christmas time and the lobby was decked out in Christmas decorations. They had a Christmas dinner for 1,850 baht per person and it was fabulous, featuring huge prawns, oysters, king crab, two types of lamb, two types of duck, beef wellington and two other beef choices, Parma ham, and soooo much more. There was live music and even some school kids came by to sing carols. There was a beautiful ice carving of reindeers pulling a sled. Santa paid a visit too, giving kids small gifts and adults cookies. The cookies were pretty bad but it they get an A+ for all their efforts to make the occasion as festive as possible. The daily breakfast buffet was decent too. Omlett station plus something from every culture. We also had their lunch buffet at River Terrace and it too was good. It was 250 Baht person and it featured a pasta, salad, noodle soup bar, plus plenty of curries and other food items.
The room we had was very generously sized. I estimate it to be over 650 square feet, bigger than my apartment in college. We got an upgrade because of our platinum status. There was a huge bedroom, master bath with 2 sinks, separate, tub and shower, plus a separate space for the toilet and bidet, a living room, and a foyer. It was nice to have all the separate spaces because my husband could nap with the doors shut and I can watch TV in the living room.
Now come the downside. 1) There is no free wifi even for platinum guests. You have to either pay by the hour or go to the lobby for free wifi. 2) The bathroom constantly had a bad odor, especially in the part of the room where there is the toilet and bidet. Flies were even sitting in the bidet, attacted to the smell we think. We suspect it is the open drain in that part of the room but who knows. By the time we realized it, we had already gotten settled in and didn't bother to complain. Maybe other rooms are not like this one, but we felt the need to keep the bathroom doors shut so the smell did not linger throughout.
Overall for what we paid and what we got, it was a good value. I can tell the staff works very hard and are proud of the property.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Chiang Mai Hotel Chiang Mai
- Holiday Inn Chiang Mai Hotel
- Chiang Mai Holiday Inn
- Sheraton Chiang Mai
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Chiangmai is ideally located on the banks of the Mae Ping River with easy access to business & shopping districts. It is the only riverside international hotel brand on the Northern bank of Chiangmai with 526 rooms & 25-storeys offering expansive riverside views from both guest & functional rooms. The hotel is only minutes away from the famous temples & the renowned night bazaar. Complimentary Shuttle Services to Night Bazaar, Walking Street, Nimman Road also provided free of charge.Guest Rooms are the largest in Chiangmai & have been designed with every comfort in mind. Every room has beautiful views over the idyllic Mae Ping River & towards Doi Suthep, the sacred mountain or Chiangmai city views. At Holiday Inn®, we guarantee your comfort with a double size for twin bed & pillow menu.Executive Lounge is the latest benefit for guests who stay on the Executive floor with multiple benefits such all day drinks, Happy Hours, free laundry, free Wi-Fi and Express check-in/check-out.China Palace is the most famous Chinese Restaurant in town with superb Dim Sum menu & Shabu Shabu buffet.River Terrace is an all day dining restaurant with daily theme night dinners & an outdoor space.Just a few minutes from the hotel you can explore Chiangmai Night Bazaar, Wiang Kum Kam Historical site, Chiangmai International Airport & shopping malls. Chiang Mai has many places to visit & many activities to do such as Doi Suthep, Chiangmai Zoo & Aquarium, golf or adventurous activities such as jungle flight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, IHG, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, EasyToBook, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn Chiang Mai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.