“Top Half Day Tour” 3 of 5 stars

Brisbane, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Top Half Day Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We crammed into a little van with the other tourists for a half-day trip up to the mountain tribe and the Doi Suthep Temple. The tour guide was lovely but was running a little late.

First stop was to the mountain tribe - not really a tribe anymore, just a small town with a lot of hand made trinkets and souvenirs. Even black market diamonds were for sale through a shifty looking Burmese guy on a bike. Needless to say I passed on the offer.

Next onto the temple and it is very awe inspiring - a lot of gold and the temples and Buddhas gleam in the sun so make sure it's a fine day and not raining. Trip back down the windy mountain was refreshed with a free bottle of water and the guide offered to drop the group off at the night market or back to the hotel. Not a bad afternoon deal for 500 baht a head.

Singapore, Singapore
“Usual Deception”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Took a half-day tour to the Temple and the Royal Palace - only it was supposed to be the Temple and to see the Orchids and Butterflies! The guide was okay, but, we picked up some Thai tourists at the airport and they seemed to be given preferential treatment. The Temple was quite interesting, but the Palace was a total deception! We were allowed to enter the Palace grounds, only after hiring trousers to cover our legs - shorts not allowed [we had not been warned of this]. Then we were not allowed anywhere near the so-called Palace, as it was under repair - it was covered in scaffolding which had obviously been in place for some time! [Journey - Day Tours, surely knew about this, beforehand]. We ended up looking at some flowers in the gardens, handing back our sweaty coveralls to the surly attendants and getting back on the tour vehicle.

Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
35 attraction reviews
“When the mahout hits the elephant so hard it resonates throughout the forest”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was honestly the biggest waste of money and time ever. It was a bit over $30 including transportation and food, the hillstribe village and elephant show was pretty much the only interesting this there was to see. The ox ride, elephant ride and visit the to orchid and butterfly zoo was an utter waste, it was extremely short. I could've spent my time better elsewhere.

Also the mahout hit the elephant so hard it resonated through the forest and it started bleeding, I wanted to knock him out on the spot.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Depressing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

From Chiang Mai I did a day tour to Chiang Rai, which included a visit to the hot springs, the white temple, the golden triangle, the myanmar border and a hilltribe village.
It was by far the worst day I've had since I arrived in Thailand 2,5 weeks ago. From the 14 hours the day lasted, we spend about 12 in the minivan. Every place was too crowded and ugly. The white temple was the only thing I found interesting. I would recommend just going there by yourself and spent longer than 20 minutes.
Also, the guide was really rude to the people in the hilltribe village.
A really bad tour. Oh, and the food was the worst, yuk.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 attraction reviews
“Not our first choice, but an enjoyable trek”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We were in Chiang Mai during Songkran so our first two choices for trekking tours weren't running. We ended up going with a one day trek with Journey. The van ride was a little nerve wracking... But we did make it to the trek safely. We started with bamboo rafting which was fun. The river was full of locals because of the New Year festival, which made it even better! Then we went on the elephant ride. We enjoyed this experience, but my husband and I agreed that the elephants are not treating properly at the place we used. It was not bare back riding, which I probably would have preferred. After the elephant riding we had lunch at a local Thai restaurant and the food was delicious! I only wish that the bathrooms were better as they were the only ones up to that point during the day. The trek was next, and we really enjoyed it, it wasn't too long and we stopped to swim at a waterfall halfway. The swimming was great and very refreshing! Continuing on the trek we stopped at the Karan village. This was very interesting but because it was during the festival not many people were there.

Overall we really enjoyed this trek, although I wish that our tour guide spoke a little more about where we were and what we were seeing. I was not disappointed, but not wowed either.