“The best music in town” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #104 of 208 things to do in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Owner description: The best live music in Chiang Mai! Music lives here.Home-made pizza, Thai and Western food, and a wide selection of cocktails.
Sydney
“The best music in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I went to this place a few months ago and it wasn't too bad. I heard about a special show from some guy who was in town from America so I made another trip out to the bar to take a look.

David LaMotte was one of the most amazing performers I've ever seen. Normally I can't stand folk music but his show had such an warmth and honesty, it was impossible not to be completely overwhelmed by his performance. This bar is starting to get a reputation for some great music. The local bands are pretty good and if they're getting international acts like this, the competition should start to be getting worried!

The pizza's not bad as well :-D

Visited May 2012
TheBearBar, Manager at The Bear Bar, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Yes, David's show was amazing - he's a word-class performer who will draw you in, even if it's not usually your kind of music. We're committed to show-casing the best of the local and international talent, and good pizza :-)

3 attraction reviews
“Some of the best music I've seen anywhere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I saw this place when I went to the Fah Lanna massage shop next door (excellent, BTW) and saw a poster for their blues party and since I love the blues, I made a point of going. Am I glad I did! The music was excellent, with two Thai bands belting out the blues and a lot of people getting up to jam as well. They had to clear away some of the tables since customers were up and on their feet dancing. It was a great party atmosphere!

Food and cocktails were slow to come but when they did, it was good. They seemed a bit short on staff which is probably why the service was slow.

Visited March 2012
Yes, staffing is a perennial problem in Chiang Mai but we're slowly building up a core team of trained staff. As the menu says, the pizza are made with love, and good things take a little longer to make, but they're worth the wait :-)
Sydney
“Great food, great music. Recommended!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The new bar I went to is called the Bear Bar and they have a neat web site here: http://www.thebearbar.com

The person who told me about it said there was a party on, but there weren't many people there. Maybe they forgot to tell anyone? But even though there weren't many people, the music was fantastic. The first set was a girl who sang and played latin music on a guitar and she was great. I saw her at the Smile party not long ago and she was awesome then as well! After her was a big latin combo, 6 or 7 people, and the music was crazy wild, very danceable.

The bar also sells food. I had some Thai food, which was some of the best I've ever had. They also do home-made pizza which looked and smelled good coming out of the oven. The service was a bit slow, they didn't have enough staff, but given the number of customers, they probably don't need too many. The owner told me they've only been open a few months, but people are starting to find out about the place and business is picking up.

She also said they're trying to be a serious music venue, so for me that's great! There was a board outside with who's playing and it looks like they have acoustic music in the first half of the week, then jazz and latin bands in the second half.

Recommended.

Visited February 2012
Thanks for the review. We're a new bar (we only opened in December) and word is slowly getting out. People are starting to know about the bar and coming for the music (and pizza and cocktails :-)) and we're starting to make our mark on the local live music scene.