“An absolute winner!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 137 Pillars House

You added 137 Pillars House to your Saves list
137 Pillars House
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   2 Soi 1, Na Wat Gate Road | Wat Gate, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
5.0 of 5 stars 629 Reviews
Menlo Park, California
“An absolute winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

LOVED this hotel. I'd recommend it without hesitation. It's elegant and upscale but has much more of a personal touch than many of the high-end Asian chains. The attention to aesthetic detail and to service is impeccable. If you are going to Chiang Mai and the price is right for you, stay here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for 3 nights during a trip to Thialand and Cambodia to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. . Everything about our stay at 137 Pilllars was great. The staff were friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Our suite was very clean, well maintained and beautifully appointed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have no hesitation in recommending this property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

United States, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well done! I enjoyed every moment of my 3 day's at the property! The room's are amazing, the property is absolutely tranquil and beautiful and the staff is professional and service oriented. I especially had exceptional staff encounters with (and I apologize I don't have all their names) the door man, IT manager, our butler and the F&B staff for dinner!!! I will return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HappyGMinAsia, General Manager at 137 Pillars House, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and comments. Apart from the mentioned team members, there were many more involved in ensuring that you enjoyed your stay with us, and on behalf of the entire team, I express my appreciation for your visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed four days and wished we had been able to stay a month!.137 Pillars is now I think our favorite place .The food both for breakfast and dinner was superb,our room was lovely and the grounds were hard to leave behind.the service was exemplary.We will return as soon as possible....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

On behalf of the entire team, I am thanking you for your kind words on the hotel and our services. We appreciate your patronage and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist planning your return visit!

With kind regards,

Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was so looking forward to staying at this hotel, and my expectations were definitely exceeded. It is, as pictured, an incredibly beautiful & unique property that truly is understated luxury. I am SO glad I booked 137 Pillars House for our stay in Chiang Mai.

The service was absolutely exceptional from start to finish. We were greeted by Toto in the airport and transported to the hotel in an upscale van (I know that sounds like a contradiction), equipped with fully reclining seats and bottled water. A very comfortable ride.

The grounds of the hotel are absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. Our room, the East Borneo suite, was just perfect. Very spacious, with wonderful amenities, the most delicious smelling bath products, a complimentary mini bar, and comfy robes and slippers. The room is thoughtfully decorated and offers all of the modern conveniences while maintaining the integrity and aesthetic of the Chiang Mai region.

The complimentary breakfast was very, very good. The chef would occasionally give us a special treat that he had worked on, like a mini fruit smoothie, which was a lovely touch. As much as we enjoyed the food at breakfast, though, we weren't impressed at all with our two dinners at the restaurant. The dining room is beautiful, but the food just wasn't anything special, so we were a bit disappointed. One of our servers, Man, was awesome, though.

I had a great Thai massage at the spa one day, which was thorough and really helped me relax after my long flight from New York.

Also, can't forget to thank Nicky at reception- she was SO helpful, SO sweet, and we really, really enjoyed talking with her. She is a treasure.

As we were celebrating our honeymoon, we were greeted with a delicious and beautifully presented congratulations cake, which was very sweet. In addition, we were made the "guests of the day," providing us with some special perks (15% off at the spa, 10% off in the dining room, and a complimentary aromatic spa bath in our suite on the first night). Super thoughtful, but to be honest, the only time we actually did receive any of these discounts was at the spa- our receipts at dinner did not reflect 10% off on either night, and we never received the in-room bath, which would have been wonderful given the beautiful claw-foot tub. It wasn't a big deal, and I didn't mention it at the risk of sounding tacky, but offering special treats and not delivering is awkward.

Overall, an absolutely wonderful stay in a reasonably priced 5 star property. Gorgeous place, fabulous staff and a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The management and the entire team thank you for your raving review of 137 Pillars House, Chiang Mai. We are very happy having met your expectations, and look forward to your kind return at your early convenience.

With regards to the discounts: They were, indeed, given and I shall explain you the procedure in a separate email.

Please do, however, accept my apology for our failure in providing you both with the complimentary drawing of a romantic bath. We will certainly make up for this during your next visit!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel has such a beautiful design and the service is outstanding. It is an oasis in itself, in a lovely location close to the river. Breakfast spread was excellent with a great selection and the restaurant setting is lovely. We had dinner one night and the food was delicious. Everything about this hotel is aesthetically pleasing, will definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your kind words and praise ! Letters like yours encourage us to continue our strive for excellence, and I look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.

Macau, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've stayed at 137 Pillars House twice now, and both times it has been great. I stay in hotels often for business and pleasure, and this may be my favorite place to stay of all. I would return to Chiang Mai just to stay here for a few days and relax in this very special environment.

It is a bit like going back in time, they have recreated the Colonial atmosphere of 19th century Asia with detail and didn't skimp on the facilities at all. The bathrooms are well designed and spacious, the beds are incredibly comfortable, and the technology is also impressive, you can play music off an iPhone wirelessly, with few hotels offer. The verandas are a great place to sit back with a drink.

And the service is superb, and that's not easy to manage in northern Thailand. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff. I look forward to my next stay there with great anticipation.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you both so very much for your lovely comments and very nice words about our services and, especially, the quality of the service of our team members.

It was our pleasure welcoming you back again, and we all hope to be able to do so many more times.

In anticipation of your return,

Sincerely yours,

Manfred ILG - General Manager

Been to 137 Pillars House? Share your experiences!