“Lovely outing in Chaing Mai” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheik Istana Hotel

You added Sheik Istana Hotel to your Saves list
Sheik Istana Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10/1 Moo 3 Padad Road | Padad, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #40 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely outing in Chaing Mai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I recently visited Chaing Mai with my fiance, staying at this hotel, and I was very impressed with everything about it. The room was very spacious, and the ambiance of the hotel was very relaxing. The breakfast buffet was great, and the food in general was good. I found the staff to be really helpful and were always smiling and happy to help with anything. The hotel is a little journey from the city centre, but the free bus services in were of great use and it was actually quite nice being away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'd happily go back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I (about 16 of us, altogether, including 2 seniors, 6 children, and one toddler), stayed at the Sheik Istana Hotel Chiang Mai for 3 night during the year-end 2012 & new year 2013. We had wonderful time in the comfortable, spacious rooms (deluxes & junior suites). Especially, on the New Year Eve, the views from the hotel rooms were spectacular!!! At midnight, fireworks that were set up throughout Chiang Mai can be seen from our hotel!!! We didn't have to gather at the crowded places to see fireworks, rather we stayed comfy in our rooms and enjoyed sighting fireworks and spotting thousands of sky lanterns (komloys) from all over! The fireworks were displayed from about 17 different locations, not all at the same time. (Max 10 locations at the same time.) It was such a great welcome to the New Year!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor can be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel... Potential for disaster with Morrocan theme in Thailand but works a treat. Great location on the river with nice gardens. Good to distance oneself from the hustle and bustle of the city but still be close enough for a cheap 5 minute tuk-tuk ride.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Rude staff, not good food and very over priced. Meals came at different times. Staff was blatantly rude I understand Thai customs and this was beyond they All acted like they'd rather be somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012
asia, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel has a very nice look, feel, and friendly staff, but the hotel is also full of safety issues. This hotel has hundreds of places to take photos which is why many people come to make pre-wedding photos. . . I loved many of the photos that I took there also. Still I kept tripping, stumbling or slipping on various obstacles in the hotel and room.

For my room, there were 4 different levels, the entry level, the step up into the bedroom, a step down into the bathroom, and a rug to trip at the end of the bed. In the bathroom I was not very happy with the shower. . . as I had to step up into the bath tub (raised above normal height). The bathtub was also kidney shaped with faceted edges so the standing area was very tight, I once felt I was going to tumble out of the bathtub and onto the floor. The shower was in the bathtub and since the height of the shower head was placed in relation to the floor, I was constantly ducking down to shower. Once the shower was done. . . also nearly slipped on the smooth black tile floor as water from the shower ran out on both sides of the bathtub.

The other thing that was a pain about this hotel was the HUGE AC that was just above the bed. . . . took forever to program were the wind was not so cold or strong on the bed as we slept.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Loved Chiang Mai and enjoyed staying at the Sheik Istana.

Big clean rooms, awesome gym, nice pool areas amd friendly staff. Good view over the river across to an old stone Wat. The restaurant served excellent food at a good price. Bicycles are also available for guests to use, we cycled into Chiang Mai which was a great fun.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed at the Sheik Istana hotel in August 2012, as part of a nearly 4-week stay in Thailand. I found this hotel through Trip Advisor, and finally have a moment to echo the sentiments of other reviewers and sing the praises of this hotel. I stayed for 3 nights.
First of all, the online booking was easy and I got a great rate. I emailed the hotel staff to arrange for someone to pick my friend and I up at the airport and bring us to the hotel. The staff were friendly, courteous, and the fee for the transfer was very reasonable. When I saw "Noom", a member of the hotel staff waiting for us dressed in a beautiful Morroccan style uniform holding a placard with our name on it at the Chiang Mai airport, I could already tell this hotel paid great attention to detail.
The hotel is close to the airport, and a bit outside of the main attractions of Chiang Mai, but the conceirge does a phenomenal job of arranging fabulous taxi drivers who are polite, speak English well, and will cater to your every need for a very low rate. There is also a daily shuttle to the night market and Nimmanhaeman Rd, one of the shopping areas outside of the University.
The decor in the hotel is absolutely beautiful and I loved having the opportunity to experience a little bit of Morocco in Chiang Mai, as I have always wanted to go to Morocco but have not yet made it there. There are two swimming pools and beautiful grounds with fountains and seating areas where you can sit and relax after a long day of walking around Chiang Mai.
In our room, which had a balcony overlooking the river, I was greeted with a personalized welcome letter from the hotel management. This hotel does not overlook any detail and I have never received such quality service or kindness at a hotel before. I had no issues communicating with any of the staff in English--they are very well-spoken and understand American terms and "slang" as well.
Additionally, there is a great restaurant in the hotel that serves a huge variety of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at a reasonable rate. Book the room rate inclusive of breakfast for the best deal--you can get pretty much anything you like for breakfast, with multiple juice, coffee, and tea refills at no additional cost.
When I went on to Bangkok, my friend loved Chiang Mai so much that she made arrangements to keep our room for herself for 3 more nights and stayed on. There were no issues with billing or any confusion over this change, which I appreciated, since the room had originally been billed to me.
There is also a cute pub/ restaurant just diagonally across the street (I think it is called #1 Pub) and it has cheap meals and drinks as well as super friendly bar staff and locals/ tourists to socialize with.
If I ever return to Chiang Mai, which I certainly hope to do, I will stay here again without question.
Many thanks Sheik Istana, for a beautiful and memorable stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Northern_chiangmai, Manager at Sheik Istana Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear our guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your valuable time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

In particular, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your staying and all services proposed by our team that our staff managed to put you at easy. We really take care about our guest’s needs and desires, being our main purpose making you feel well assisted.

I appreciate your kind comments on our services and hope we may welcome you again in the near future.

Regards,

Been to Sheik Istana Hotel? Share your experiences!