“Absolutely recommendable! Thank You Chang” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #87 of 291 activities in Chiang Mai
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
“Absolutely recommendable! Thank You Chang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly guide, great one-day hike! We were so happy to find this among all the crap offered in Chiang Mai!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
7 attraction reviews
“EXCELLENT and MAGIC!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Chang made our day really special!!!
The trill is beautiful and challenging. sharing lunch at the tribe leader house was really a privilege!
sharing with the little children in the school was magic.
Hiking the mountain while the farmers are working is great and the knowledge and compromise of Chang with the community are incredible!
We had the privilege to encounter 2 monks in the tribe forest meditation center and it was SUBLIME!
The best hiking of our lives!!!
GRACIAS CHANG!!!

Visited May 2012
Milan, Italy
4 attraction reviews
“Still recomending it after 14 years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

It isn't often that a small business can have such an impact on you that you continue to recommend it after 14 years. When my husband and I were working in Thailand for two years we took two treks with Chang. It was as enriching as the website says. His relationship with the residents we visited made all of the difference and his commitment to sustainable tourism was evident throughout the journey. It's an experience of a lifetime that just might leave you sending their link to friends 14 years from now!

Breckenridge, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
“One day trip with Chang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I went on a one day trekking trip with Chang. I emailed a couple days before I wanted to go, because I had a change of plans, and they were very accomodating. It was a bit expensive (6,000 baht) for a private day trek, but I say it's worth the investment. We drove an hour or so out of Chiang Mai, and hiked 2 hours up to a Lahu hill tribe. They live in Bamboo homes, have an Animist religion, and make most of their income from agriculture. Unfortunately to grow their crops they burn a section of the forrest, and plant corn or rice. Then after a few years the topsoil is washed away by the rain, and they have to burn another section of the forrest and repeat this cycle. This leaves the past farmland unusable and desolate. Otherwise the hill tribe was very friendly, and Chang even showed me their religious artifacts and their spirit leader. Chang brought food and cooked lunch at one of the family's homes. Chang really takes care of the Hill tribe people, he paid them to use their house for lunch, and paid one of them to carry his pack down the hill.
The next part of the trek included bamboo forrests, walking along the river, and waterfalls. Dipping in the river was very refreshing as it was around 100*F the day I was out. We had Mangosteen as a snack at the waterfall, and made our way back to the road, where Chang had hired a local to move his car to the end point. On the drive back to Chiang Mai I learned more about the different projects that Chang does to benefit the hill tribes. He uses the profits from the trekking business to help provide cleaning supplies, livestock, and other things that the hill tribe people need to be more self-sustaining.
Overall it was a nice hike with a man who has a passion for helping the native people of Thailand.

Visited April 2012
Vanouver
5 attraction reviews
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

What can i say? it's hard to even say how much i loved this tour. My wife and I just did a two day Trek. We started by riding an elephant and then trekked to a Karen Village, we trekked for a few hours each day. Slept over in the village and trekked to the river and did the Bamboo raft back the next day.

But, what i'm going to remember most is Mr. Chang.

It's worth just doing this tour to meet him and spend time with him. 61 and loves the people and culture and forest. Just a great man to spend two days with and i learned a lot as we trekked and walked through the villages. He stopped us along our bamboo raft at a remote Lahu village (while other tourist rafts floated past wondering what we were seeing) and Mr. Chang introduced us to their Spirit Man who then allowed us into his home to speak more about their people and religion. Just amazing stuff.

Everything we did was explained by Mr. Chang as being helpful to the local communities. The elephant camp was the best place for the elephants "they can roam and be in the wild there" unlike other camps where the elephants don't even walk about (he pointed these out on the way home). The Guys he got to work for him and help along the way were from each local area we visited. A lot of the money you pay went back to the Karen village etc...Eating at a local place with people he knows, getting chicken from a local specific person on the way out that he knew. fantastic.

And it was just my wife and I.

No throngs of tourists, no kids, just us and it was great. After we were dropped off at the hotel i realized I had stupidly left my camera and some other belongings way out in the forrest at the place we stopped at to eat! Disaster and memories potentially lost.....right?

Mr. Chang drove out really early the next day and was on his way back with my stuff before i had even had breakfast. simply overwhelming....So, Thank You Mr. Chang and you all would be lucky to have an experience like this.

Visited April 2012