“A Secret Oasis in Chiang Mai” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #678 of 1,466 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Thai, Wine Bar, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: One of the most interesting restaurants in the most exiting area of Chiang Mai, Sahara offers a varied range of cuisine set in a beautiful Moroccan style environment. From popular western foods to exotic middle eastern dishes to a wide variety of local Thai flavours, high quality dining at very affordable price is on offer. A second floor rooftop bar with a relaxing open air lounge features a Bedouin style tent roof. Upstairs you will also find private hookah smoking rooms serving a variety of fruit flavoured shisha tobacco. Playing the latest lounge music, this setting mixes perfectly with our large range of cocktails and imported Belgian and German beers. Our well stocked wine cellar holds a wide range of fine wines from around the world. We're open daily Sunday to Thursday 11.00 to midnight and Friday to Saturday 11.00 to 01.00 am.
Toronto, Canada
“A Secret Oasis in Chiang Mai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived around 7 P.m. hungry seeking a meal of good Middle Eastern fare.
Boy, were we surprised. First, we were the only ones inside this otherwise deserted restaurant . It was like our private dining room. All the other patrons were seated outside sucking in the fumes and noise from the busy street. The Sahara is beautifully decorated and the seating very comfortable.
The service was prompted and we ordered a humous appetizer and a chicken and eggplant dish. It was exquisite .
There was one over zealous staff member who attempted to take our dish away while we were paused in good conversation.
i think he was bot bored and inexperienced as his function appeared to be rather of minimal utility.
When we were about to leave around nine another couple arrived . I noticed that the traffic had died down outside and perhaps this would be a good time to make use of the beautiful outside patio service .
I ,indeed felt full as did my partner and the bill was under 450 Baht.
i do look forward to returning soon again as I live a short stroll away.

• Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“This place is a secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I can't for the life of me figure out why there aren't more people at this restaurant. And then it dawned on me last night while leaving (for about the 30th time, we eat here all the time), that the restaurant is so spread out, with an outdoor area, an upstairs area, an upstairs back area, an indoor downstairs area (you get the drift) and I just can't see everyone, but they're there.

I live here in Chiang Mai and I've not met anyone that knows Sahara to have said anything bad about it. The food is excellent. My personal favorite is the Chicken Panini sandwich with pesto sauce. Really, just so fresh and delicious. And it comes with fries. I mean, being an American, you'd think you were eating at a number of excellent restaurants of that city. But this is Thailand and good western food is hard to find sometimes. And my Thai wife loves the Thai food there. I forgot what she seems to order all the time, but whatever it is, it passes the quality control of this tough to please woman. ;-) Just go, trust me.

• Visited January 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“The rooftop for a drink at sunset”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a Chiang Mai must visit restaurant. I recommend going at around sunset and sitting up on the roof top area. They play ambient longe music that is either in perfect contrast or utterly juxtaposed to the busy street below. They have a good selection of everything, burgers, steaks, kebabs, hummus, kai soi, som tam and lots more, there is something for everyone. I also hear that the rooftop will have a closed off section for smoking shisha (should be finished by now).

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Good all-rounder restaurant for western and thai food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I like this place. I have generally been disappointed when eating at restaurants in Thailand, the portions are small and overpriced compared to street stalls but I like this place. The Thai food is rich in flavour, the western food is authentic. I particularly enjoyed the pizza and the chicken schnitzel but found the beer a bit expensive, the food was reasonably priced. That is why it is only getting 4 stars. Otherwise I enjoyed this place and will be returning but I'll probably drink elsewhere to save some cash.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“10 out of 5!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We decided to visit this restaurant based on the other reviews we read. It was our first night in Chiang Mai and we didn't really know our way around. The staff here and friendly and thier level of English is good. The menu has a lot of variety covering western, east and middle eastern foods. We sampled a selection of each and all were of high standards. The restaurant is well furnished and his a relaxing atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.