“Amazing guesthouse” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 105 Reviews
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing guesthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I chose this guesthouse following a few recommendations on here and on other websites. I have to say, I was initially hesitant as it appeared to be a little out of the way. Noland was quick to respond to my emails though and I thought "what the heck' and booked.

I'm very glad I did - this was one of the most perfect stays I've ever had in a hotel/guesthouse. From the moment I arrived, I felt like i was at home - Noland is a great host, he makes you feel very comfortable and relaxed and gave some great pointers on the local area. As he was leaving to go back to the states a few days later he was having a party in his restaurant next door and asked me along. Well, when you turn up at a guesthouse having booked on a whim, you may as well continue with that. His restaurant next door is a lovely little place, artfully decorated, serving amazing food in a great location. Noland is a born entertainer as well and spent the night on stage with his keyboard and Thai "backing singers" (i.e. the restaurant staff)

Back to the guesthouse - I had one of the villas at the back and it was lovely. Noland spoke knowledgeably about the build, the local timbers used, the little touches they had added (the bathroom was very nice - copper sink) and it real adds to your experience to know these things. After all, this is a guesthouse that someone has built/restored/added to and not a faceless hotel chain.

I found the grounds to be very peaceful, though you can hear the sounds of the city around you, it's never loud and always a nice background. The local area (Chuang Puak) is great - many local shops/restaurants/bars around and as it's a more studenty area, there's a different vibe to the place. there's also the usual assortment of tuk tuks and sonthaew for transport and you're not far from the main city. Breakfast is an assortment of pastries and fresh local fruit. Also - as I missed breakfast on my last day (early flight), Nolands business partner (who's name i forget!) stopped of on the way to dropping me at the airport to get me some nice local delicacies.

My only regret was (cliche alert!) having to leave as this was a brilliant trip that was made all the better by having such a nice base, and great people around. My apologies to Noland though as I should have submitted this review early a year ago when I stayed (March 2012). Hopefully he'll forgive me if I come back!

Room Tip: Villas at the back are stunning
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
SantithamGuestHouse, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Great to hear from Alan. We'll take kind words anytime, anywhere! haha We really enjoy seeing people so happy with our establishment. I often say that Santitham Guest House is a "labor of love!"
We are not perfect and we do make mistakes now and then, but we always try to put the traveler FIRST!
We never forget that it is an honor and privilege to be selected as the destination for many discerning customers. We often only get one chance to do it right. We work very hard to
earn the love and respect that we receive from our lovely patrons! Please come back and let
us "entertain you" again! with gratitude and affection, Noland ....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Sawadikap! I just returned home from Chiang Mai the other day and I already miss the beautiful Santitham Guest House where I spent four unforgettable nights. This is a very beautiful place with a lot of beautiful plants and flowers in the garden, and there is also a nice koi pond surrounding an open-air sitting and work-out area, as well as a nice out-door lounge where you can sit and relax or have breakfast if you like. The whole place is very tranquil and peaceful, and also feels very natural and not "over designed" like some places are. Even though it is located in a pretty busy neighborhood with lots of small shops and street-side eateries close by (there is a 7-Eleven right across the street and a nice groceries market just down the street), once you enter the gate of the guest house, you feel like you have entered an oasis which has a very different atmosphere from the outside. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with really nice lighting and bedding. And the room rates are very reasonable for a nice place like this. The main building has a very nice and cozy living and breakfast area where you can eat or read or socialize with other guests a bit if you want. And if your budget allows, you can also stay in the "villa" behind the main building where the rooms are bigger and even nicer. Noland, the owner of the place, is very friendly and helpful, and a good musician, too. He played music with some friends at the restaurant next door the night we ate there. He helped arrange a sight-seeing tour and also airport transportation for us. Other staff are also very friendly and helpful. Make sure to have a dinner at the restaurant next door if you stay there. I had some of the best Thai food there and the place itself is lovely, too. And maybe you will hear Noland play music and sing, too! I highly recommend Santitham Guest House and I can't wait to go back there next time I visit Chiang Mai!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Wow what a place, I have loved every minute of my time here. Noland is a really helpful guy and runs a little paradise in the midst of a bustling city. The rooms are fabulous and a rustic feel runs through from top to bottom. Beautiful gardens, koy carp ponds, birds twittering, it's the perfect place to chill and unwind :-)
I fully recommend this to anybody who wants a great place to stay at a very cheap price.
Thanks Noland :-)

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Santitham Guest House is situated in a residential area of Chiangmai. Here you don't see hordes of tourists, souvenir shops and massage places. After a day out trekking, there is nothing like returning to a relaxing and homely compound away from the maddening crowd. You can be sure to sleep well in the comfortable bed. Noland the owner is extremely helpful and makes everyone feels at home. It's a causal place. Everyone takes breakfast at the round dining table in the morning and swaps stories of the previous day adventures and the day's travelling plan. Breakfast is simple but healthy fare. If you like something more "meaty", then have some local food along Santitham Street. In the evening, there is no shortage of choices for dinner. Sabai Dee next door serves good Thai food. Santitham Street and the neighbouring Hassadhisawee Street come alive at night with many street food stalls and small restaurants. Try the steamboat restaurant at the corner of Santitham street and Morakot Street. A few shops further along Morakot street is a cheap and fantastic pad Thai (Thai fried noodle) eatery that opens only in the night and closes at 10pm.

Yes, I will be back at Santitham Guest House for my next trip to Chiangmai.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sioux Lookout, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a great place to stay- like an oasis in the city - I loved the fish and birds and trees that . Noland and staff were all friendly and helpful. The room and bed - perfect for a good night sleep. Noland went out of his make us feel welcome, including a back support for an ailing back. The restaurant next door was also fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor would be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SantithamGuestHouse, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We are deeply grateful and honored to have so many kind and generous guest such as these folks. Very quickly they seemed like family, which is true of many of our guest. This is what I love about being in the hotel industry, we continue to meet very interesting people with amazing stories to share. I love people and love to share our amazing place with folks that truly appreciate all the work and effort that goes into Santitham Guest House. Sawasdee, Krup! from Noland
California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at Santitham for 3 nights on a recent trip to Chiang Mai and frankly loved it. We stayed in the Deluxe room, and were blown away. The room is so nice, so much character and so peaceful. The grounds are beautiful, some of the best in Chiang Mai that I saw (and we stayed at a few other guest houses...)

We will absolutely stay here if we come back to Chiang Mai.

One thing many of the reviews don't mention: the entire place has filtered water. Yes, properly filtered water - you can drink water from the tap, you don't have to worry about getting it in cuts or scrapes, and you can be sure it's safe to brush your teeth with. Truly this is a godsend.. After bouncing around Southeast Asia for a while, where the water will make you very sick if you drink it, you really gain an appreciation for having good water.

The breakfast provided is healthy and filling, and there's even a little work out area with weights and a treadmill.

The only downside to staying at Santitham is that sometimes we had trouble getting back to Santitham after being in the main downtown of Chiang Mai (it's a little ways outside the city) because most taxi / tuk tuk drivers don't know where it is -- but generally if you tell them it's "very near Wat Santitham" (a nearby temple) you will get close enough to the neighborhood to be able to direct them from there... We even had a tuk tuk driver call a fellow driver to find out to get there! People are helpful enough in Thailand that you can figure it out, and it's worth it to stay at a place like Santitham.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were kindly picked up from the airport by Mr Don, who pointed out various places of interest along the way and advised us on a few safety issues if we decided to ride motorcycles whilst in Chiang Mai.
When we arrived at the guest house it was like opening the gates to a secret garden! Nolan was very welcoming and showed us to our room, which was beautiful! Gorgeous bathroom with a lovely titled hot shower. He told us about his water filtration system so we were able to brush our teeth without faffing about with bottled water.
Nolan recommended a decent bike hire place and even gave by boyfriend a lift down there to pick up a scooter.
All in all we had a great time in Chiang Mai and coming back to this little oasis at the end of each day made the trip even more enjoyable!
The guest house is located just outside the Old Town, so it's a little walk to the night market or a short Tuk-Tuk ride
Would defiantly recommend

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Santitham Guest House? Share your experiences!