“AL Chiang Mai, Thailand” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Rim Resort

Save Saved
You added The Rim Resort to your Saves list
The Rim Resort
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   51/2 Arrak Road | Phrasingh, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 331 hotels in Chiang Mai
Hawalli, Kuwait
“AL Chiang Mai, Thailand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is a bit far from the exciting attractions but close to Sunday's night market and most of the temple within the old city, the breakfast is customized like a la carte, and they serve it to your table. the rooms are comfortable and had a garden view, a small pool

Room Tip: to avoid mosquitos get a first floor room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here four nights during our honeymoon - for which they gave us a delicious cake! We felt relieved to get out of the congestion (though fun) in Bangkok and were happy to see the nice faces at the Rim. I would call this more a boutique hotel than necessarily a resort, as the architecture blended so nicely with the surroundings. So much thought had obviously been given to how to make it integrated into Chiang Mai, unlike some of the large chain hotels on the other side of the old city. Our room kept in line - not intentionally modern like the Hilton in Bangkok, but with all necessary amenities and quite clean. I think ours was one of their lowest options booked through hotels.com and we found it to be plenty spacious. The staff were almost uniformly young, very enthusiastic and friendly. Their English was generally quite good, a great benefit to us as we hadn't been able to learn much more than sawatdee before arriving. One guy in particular was really excited that we wanted to go to a "meat" buffet (don't even know what to call it, but there are small ones on either side of The Rim) and helped us get transport to a huge one (Sukontha mookatha) that seemed to be more of a locals joint. The hotel is a bit away from most of the main tourist attractions, but as others have said it was nice to be in a calmer section of the old city. It was easy to get anywhere that we wanted to go, especially the Walking Street on Ratchmadnoen road. Many temples, cheap massage places and nice roadside food were easily walkable if avoiding the mid-day heat. Breakfast was also nice, the muesli in particular was awesome and we preferred the Thai dishes to the Western ones. All in all, we loved this place and keep comparing service and amenities from other hotels to it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

First of all, this is a beautiful hotel, with an excellent staff. I found it to be ideally suited for exploring Chiang Mai. Other reviewers think that it is too far from the the center of the old city and the night market, but I rather enjoyed putting a bit of distance between these places, which are somewhat crowded, and the location where I spent the night, which was peaceful and scenic. The Rim offers a shuttle to these destinations, but I was able to walk. Most other guests take taxis, which are inexpensive and plentiful in Chiang Mai.

The Rim Resort is tranquility itself, and nicely tucked away just at the edge of the old city. The architecture and the decoration is beautiful, done in a Northern Thai style. The rooms are comfortable, calm, and impeccably clean. The staff clearly takes pride in the place, and will make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. The breakfast is very good, and once the staff figures out what you like, they will cater to it a bit, bringing extra coffee and the like.

Okay, here is the thing. When push came to shove, the Rim and its staff were kind and helpful to me in a way that surpasses anything that I have ever experienced from a hotel, and maybe even some "friends." I broke my leg with a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Not only did the staff know exactly what to do, where to go, etc., they accompanied me to the hospital. Two staff members waited with me in the emergency room, spoke with doctors, and offered me reassurance and genuine emotional support when the news was bad. I know that this added hours onto their shifts as well, but they were really concerned to help me get the best possible care and to make sure that I didn't suffer any further troubles. They treated me as one would family! The rest of the staff at the hotel was equally concerned, and made it a point to try to anticipate my needs. Every day, they asked after my health, and offered little pleasantries to try to make the rest of my stay enjoyable.

It gets better still. The Head Butler was indispensable. Without him, I would probably still be in Chiang Mai. He helped me to secure new flight reservations and the paperwork required to fly with an injury. Even when I became angry and frustrated with the airlines and its policies, he remained calm and determined. Really, I shouldn't have worried about a thing. He was able to take care of everything that I needed, with grace and speed. None of this would have been easy, or even possible on my own. I am so truly indebted to the staff of the Rim. They have renewed my faith in humankind. ขอขอบคุณคุณ.

Oh, yeah, I would recommend NOT renting a motorbike while in Thailand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel in on the west side of the old city beside the moat. I choose this hotel because I wanted a balcony and pool, and somewhere close to the bars/restaurant area (Tha-Phae gate). The hotel isn’t close enough to walk there (comfortably in the heat), but you can easily pick up a Tuk-Tuk (or larger jumbo-van) for about 30thb or less (7 min drive).

Stayed in a Dahla Superior Room’, which was spacious, and they supplied plenty of free bottled water, and free WiFi. Comfortable large bed and no problems sleeping. Only complaint I would have about the room is that there was no Iron.

The breakfast was a bit limited, though you could order cooked eggs etc, and the coffee was good and strong.

The hotel Pool is a bit small, and there always seemed to be people/kids in it, so I never got a good swim. The staff were always professional and helpful, and I also found their 90thb Shuttle Service to the Airport handy.

So, to summarise, I enjoyed my stay, really liked the room, - but had it a bigger pool, better breakfast and closer to the Tha-Phae gate - it would have been even better !!.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel is quite below my expectation. Since the rating is high in tripadvisor, I booked this hotel 2 months before I went to Chiangmai, and requested a kingsize bed. However, when I arrived, the reception said they didn't have kingsize because all fully booked. I really doubted their reservation planning, because I booked two months ago.
Except this, the location of the hotel is very normal. They have shuttlt to go to night market, but you have to take taxi to go back. The hotel is on a reiver side, but there is no good restaurants or bars or sites to see. You have to take taxi to go anywhere.
The hotel is small, it is either not as luxury as five stars hotel but sells in the same prices; nor like guesthouses which are cozy and firendly. Basically, it suites for business people I think, not for travellers who want to enjoy comfort in the room, nice sicnery in the garden and entertainmant nearby. If want to experience real Chiangmai, I don't suggest travellers to spend a lot of money to live in this place.

Room Tip: They have very bad planning. No tips to get a good room that you want. The only thing to do is to lo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Durbanville, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Small hotel with very friendly staff. Decent rooms. Breakfast not the best we've had in Thailand, but still good variety for a small place. The swimming pool is a bit rough around the edges (that's for real). Needs a taxi to go to night market or shops, unless you are prepared to walk far. Convenient shuttle to the market at night. However, we had a very pleasant stay and I can recommend The Rim to families and business people alike.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We discovered The Rim Resort through Tripadvisor and glad we did. The boutique hotel is nicely situated just inside the western walls of the old part of town. Nicely decorated with unique touches (definitely feels differently from your standard large-chain resorts), the room was quite spacious and nice.

Especially liked the pool area that was a nice respite from the hubbub. You can order drinks and food here too, which was surprisingly good. The Tom Yum cocktails were amazing (we had them on three separate occasions) but the bar bites hit the spot nicely.

Also have to give a shout out to the staff. They were great at relaying messages and even assisting with setting up massage appointments.

There is a shuttle that will take you to the Night Market (we didn't use). Otherwise, you can just take one of those tuk-tuks for around 200 baht.

The shuttle will also take you to the nearby airport. Pricey compared to a tuk-tuk but we were glad to take advantage of this stress-free option.

Breakfast was included at the Canal Restaurant next door. I would say this one was just average ... much prefer the poolside bar food (including their seasonal tropical ice cream).

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rim Resort? Share your experiences!