“Give it a miss. Food substandard and staff don't give a F” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Paris, France
“Give it a miss. Food substandard and staff don't give a F”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Read above. This town has enough good places to go to and this one is an absolute mistake. More than an hour for two papaya salads and some chicken skewers. Server took off after taking our order and we we subsequently forgot by the entire staff. "Owner"appeared after lunchtime acting all bosslike and looking after everything but its a lost cause...

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
“Absolutely stay away from this restaurant!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I decided to eat at Phils Cafe after seeing a trip advisor sign in he window. Someone should really remove this sign because it is discrediting trip advisor, and misleading all the innocent customers.

I went to Phil's with my girlfriend for diner. There were only 2 other tables occupied in the restaurant and they had already been served while we ordered. Just so you have an idea of how not busy it was.

The menu claims to have some great French dishes, being a cafe and all, so I thought I would try the club house sandwich and fries. Always a classic meal and should always be a fool's proof recipe for anyone to cook. This club house claimed to have fresh baked bread and would come with home cut French fries. So, sounds fantastic right?.........wrong.......so wrong. My girlfriend ordered a stirfry veg will Chiang Mai sausage, and considering we were now the only table to be served how long could it take?.......well, we were sitting patiently for over half and hour. This is still not a problem for us, because waiting for quality food is worth it.......but wait a second.......this was not quality food.......not even for those cute Chiang Mai dogs roaming the streets. So my girlfriends stirfry came out first looking like a soup with all of that msg seasoned liquid drowning the vegetables, and then came my club house. At first glance I knew it was going to be trouble, the home cut fries were just like fries you would find at McDonalds. As I took my first/ last bite of the sandwich I realized the fresh baked bread had white spotting on it as if it was badly freezer burned or fearing the worst....mold. It was so dry and tasting off that I had to spit it into my napkin trying not to cause a seen. The clubhouse was completely cold and with a fried egg and bacon inside I wondered how long it was sitting around the kitchen. And the menu had pictures of most items and my sandwich looked nothing like the photo. Actually there was a big thumb print in the top of the dry bread (big turn off). Anyway the server never asked how the food was or even looked at us the whole time we were there. By the time I was able to ask for the bill, I quietly said that everything else is ok but I really couldn't eat the club. I was hoping that they could just remove from the bill this item and we would be on our way....... somewhere else to grab a bite. At this time the server offered to get the owner Phil for me. I thought why not the owner should be aware that the cook isn't sending out quality food from the kitchen. Well let me tell you Phil the owner came out and I explained the club situation. Phil didn't offer to remove the sandwich from the bill, he actually said he prepared our meal himself and told me it was my problem if I didn't like it. I said it was uneatable and offered to pay for everything esle. He became very rude and aggressive, threatening me to call the police if I didn't pay the full bill. He made a seen infront of his other customers and stormed off like a child. So, I don't want trouble, I was having a great evening until then. I payed my bill and was on my way feeling taken advantage of. It should of been me calling the police because I was the one who was taken from.
Phil the owner is not Thai, he is not even French even though his menu would state this. He is not a chef and he doesn't know how to interact with his own customers.
So Phil, I feel sorry for you because you are a disgrace to anyone who is in the restaurant bussiness that really cares about what they do and has real passion to succeed. I hope you change your ways or just shut down your cafe because you and your restaurant are a complete scam!
So please to any customers still considering eating here after my review, enter with caution, eat with caution and avoid Phil at all costs.......and trust me you will be paying all costs here!.....or apparently you'll be spending some time in a Thai prison!

Seriously, just save yourself and stay happy......... Don't even open the door to Phil's!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Ate here on a whim and enjoyed our best meal in Thailand (so far!). For two backpackers on a tight budget the prices were extremely reasonable, and the food was outstanding. We ate dishes recommended by the owner, who was friendly, and had a great meal out at this place. Highly reocmmended.

Visited August 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not bad coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Love my coffee and this place makes good coffee try a short black double shot great value for your money so cheap

Visited June 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“close to Ban Thai village - nice garden area away from the street noise. standard fare.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

It is within walking distance of everything and is good value. It has a mix of Thai and European food and Phil the owner is usually on hand. Food was served quickly and efficiently.

Visited February 2012