“Undeniably the BEST place in Chiang Mai!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club One Seven Chiang Mai

You added Club One Seven Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Club One Seven Chiang Mai
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   385/2 Charoen Prathet Rd. | Changklan, Muang, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #88 of 333 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Los Angeles, CA
“Undeniably the BEST place in Chiang Mai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Where to begin!? The River Ping Palace has got to be one of the best kept secrets in Chiang Mai until NOW!! From the moment I contacted Esther, the owner and premier hostess of the Palace, I knew I was in for a magnificent and unforgettable experience. She maintained very thorough communication with me, as I planned my initially haphazard trip to Northern Thailand and helped to put me at ease about my reservation. Once we arrived at the grounds, the experience only got better. She welcomed my friend and me with a smile and open arms and made sure that our suite was to our likings. I will say that this 136-year old teakhouse hotel is definitely something to be seen. It is absolutely breathtaking the kind of maintenance and care that has been carried out for this wonderful place. If you are looking for something completely out of the ordinary hotel amenities and standardized furnishings, this is THE place for you. Esther takes great pride in her hotel, and it shows from the cleanliness of the grounds to the fantastic attention by the staff for requests and questions. It seemed that she went out of her way to ensure that we really got a true-to-life experience of Chiang Mai and made my stay there one that I will always treasure. My initial anxiety of the unknown was very much nurtured by Esther’s vast knowledge of the area, including places to visit, shop, and sightsee around Chiang Mai. She helped us even book our leisurely activities and ensure we were satisfied with the itineraries. The food is AMAZING, and yes, the mango cheesecake that is made at the River Ping is second to none. I requested it virtually every night we were there. Because we loved the room so much, we actually stayed there three times as long as we had intended. It is just too wonderful a place to leave! Esther is the kind of loving and good hearted people that we are lucky to stumble across in our lifetimes, and I thank her immensely for such an unforgettable experience. Do not hesitate if you are considering staying here! It is an absolute MUST to-do if you visit Chiang Mai. I even suggested this place to a friend who was in southern Thailand after I left, and he himself was in utter amazement at how wonderful the place and experience was for him. Breathe easy folks, this is the REAL DEAL!! I LOVE the River Ping Palace, and so will you!

• Liked — the location on the river; the food, the host, the BEAUTIFUL room!
  • Disliked — having to say goodbye and leave
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
dallas texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We loved our stay in the lovely , leafy setting of the River Ping Palace right smack alongside the river with outdoor seating in the restaurant both breakfast, noon and at night under the stars. The food is delicious. We booked three rooms in this oh so quaint antique teak house which were spotlessly clean. Esther is the warm and hospitable owner who makes you feel as if you were family, taking requests for quiche, apple and pumpkin pie if you please! When we arrived back to the hotel from our day's activites on Christmas Eve, we found little presents on each of our pillows! She called a friend to find a recommdation for some western food for our teenagers and then loaned us her personal driver for a minimal charge when taxis were scarce on Christmas Day. This is a great find for a family like ours who seeks a medium priced accomdation which reflects the local culture and is not just another sterile western style hotel. Thanks for making our stay in Chiang Mai so special, Esther!

• Stayed December 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
multiple locations
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

well after reading some of the reviews on this site i was expecting something really special-not to be!!!
for the cost of a room (over 2000 baht) the only thing this hotel has got going for it is its riverside location.
currently i'm staying in a room for 400baht which is a lot nicer than the rooms there.
2 words for this hotel "over-rated and over priced"
if the prices were lower i feel this hotel could justify place.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

The River Ping Palace is what one could only describe as an experience. The building itself is an old Thai Teak house, over 130 years old. The rooms are individually styled, not unlike a small boutique guesthouse. There's a Chinese and Thai fusion that gives the rustic charm of the building a warm sophistication that's lost on large commercial hotels and guesthouses.

My initial plan was to stay in Chiang Mai for 10 days; however I stayed for 20. this was partly due to the City, which I loved, but it was also due to the absolute peace and relaxation of the River Ping Palace. The staff are attentive, but not overbearing. They're on hand but not in your face. Perhaps some guests would like to have the serving staff eagerly waiting at the end of the table; however, I prefer to be left alone until I want service.

You're never made to feel that you have to leave once you've finished eating; in fact the staff are more than happy to let you kick back and relax for the evening, listening to the wonderfully eclectic music selection, watching the river Ping flow by. Utter peace and relaxation. I often felt quite smug sitting in the outdoor restaurant with my friends, chatting, relaxing and looking over at the gigantic white elephant of the Hilton Hotel, with all of its hermetically sealed rooms and no character.

The food, along with the service, is second-to-none. I can honestly say that I have eaten in most of the 5 star hotels in Chiang Mai and none of them quite hit the mark in comparison with the River Ping Palace. The menu has local, Chinese, and Indian dishes; all of which are cooked fresh to order and to your specification. If you're not sure what to have then the staff are more than happy to bring you a mezze of dishes.

The guesthouse is no more than a 10 minute taxi ride into the centre of town. Personally I didn't find this an issue. My first couple of nights in Chiang Mai was spent in a hotel in the centre and I hated it. It was noisy and impersonal.

On the occasions I went out to the local bars I never had an issue obtaining a taxi either to or from town. This fact alone made the River Ping Palace great, close enough to have all the fun you want, but far enough away so you can completely disconnect from all the hassle of the city.

If you're looking for a cookie-cutter, hermetically sealed hotel room then the River Ping Palace isn't for you. However, if you're looking for character, individuality and boutique type rooms then this is the place for you. The four-poster beds with the colonial netting draped off them is a winner every time.

I've read some comments regarding the traffic noise. The building is set well away from the road, which in the evening isn't heavily used. It's difficult to comment on other people's experiences, however I can say that I was never woken, or disturbed by the traffic.

I'd say that the guesthouse isn't marketed to any particular age range. Whilst I was there I met young couples, young families, old couples, older families, groups of single people... you get the idea. What it does cater to is your relaxation and enjoyment. Also there's free wifi in the rooms so you can connect your laptop to the internet, there's also free internet access in the bar if you don't have your laptop.

I went for 10 days and stayed for 20; and I'll be sure to go back again. A truly amazing place, with wonderful staff and amazing service.

• Liked — The great food, amazing rooms and wonderful service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Queenstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

The River Ping Palace is charming and a truley unique way of experiencing a taste of Thailand . Its authenticity is obvious as it is tastefully decorated with authentic thai art, colours and culture. The service is down to a T, the staff greet you with their beautiful smiles, Esther is an excellent host whom is very welcoming and makes this special place feel more like home. The rooms are a generous size, the food is amazing and the patio by the river is the perfect place to rest your weary soul. The River Ping Palace is more than just a place to stay, its an entire experience and I am very glad I made the choice to stay here.
I love everything about this place, The beautiful teakwood house perfectly situated in a peaceful setting next to the river and away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Although, many things are just a stones throw away for example the night bazaar, and if you are looking to go somewhere more far a field, it is cheap enough to take alternative transport.
I have enjoyed every minute and am very sorry I have to leave, but I shall return.

• Liked — character of the place
  • Disliked — mosquitos (but who can control those?)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

Upon arriving at the River Ping Palace we were struck by the authentic Thai atmosphere that surrounds the place. The hotel is nestled on the river, an old wooden structure that has charming rooms, great staff, and excellent food. Red orb lanterns hang throughout the place gracing it with an exotic ambiance in the evening time. The staff here is great. They are extremely sweet and attentive. Our room was made up every day immaculately and being served meals was always a pleasure. The food here was delicious. The dinner dishes were made from fresh ingredients and were delicious! The desserts were especially notable, especially the mango cheesecake. We definitely recommend a stay at River Ping Palace where you will be taken care of and have a wonderful haven from which to enjoy the city of Chiang Mai from.

Stayed November 2008
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

The River Ping Palace is the most amazing boutique hotel I've stayed at in many years ... and I travel a lot! Rather than echo the previous reviewer (towardsthelight), let me simply "ditto" that review and add that owner Esther and her staff all but washed my feet each day ... and I observed that other guests received the same treatment. The hotel amenities are fabulous, but it's the lovely, friendly staff there that will make you feel like you're going home each night rather than to a hotel.

Like the previous reviewer, I also extended my scheduled stay there.

If you stay at River Ping Palace, you'll enjoy a lovely, warm experience, eat delicious and beautifully prepared meals and have to be pried out to explore Chiang Mai. You won't want to leave and you'll certainly come back.

• Liked — Esther and her staff - although the lovely accomodations themselves were a close second. Also, they have WiFi in the rooms!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Club One Seven Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!