“One of the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baan JaJa

and 1 more site!
You added Baan JaJa to your Saves list
Baan JaJa
7 / 3 Ratchadamnoen Rd Soi 1 | Sriphoom, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand (Formerly Baan Nud-Kun)   |
Ranked #28 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
4.5 of 5 stars 204 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I never write reviews, but after staying here, I felt it was the least I could do. The owners are absolutely wonderful. Almost OCD when it comes to the cleanliness of their place (they even separate bottle caps and recycle out back), they were still friendly and went out of their way for you. The location is excellent and Nud is extremely knowledgable, with some of the lower rates from tours/trips/visa runs I've experienced (even compared to hostels). Yes, you pay a little bit more (no more than the lousiest place down in south Thailand), but the free breakfast, coffee and tea is makes it worth it, alone. If you ask Nud a question about Chiang Mai or the surrounding area, he'll give you a map and 5 mins of his time to point out all the great spots.

I couldn't understand why anyone would have anything bad to say about this place, and then realized that the people complaining on Trip Advisor probably considered this a hotel (no mini fridge in the room?! harumph!) There's a fridge, toaster, microwave, hot water and a huge selection of coffees and teas in the common area. Even comes with a large paper sheet detailing how each tea works for the body. It's clearly a large guesthouse when you see it, so settle in to Thai hospitality and style.

Oh, and has free wifi that works really well! A rarity here.

Room Tip: It's hot in Chiang Mai, but not as hot as the other areas in Thailand. The fan rooms worked jus...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My sister lives in Thailand and she and her friends stay on their own whenever they are in Chiang Mai. It is in a great location in the inner city and is right beside Tae Phae Gate, which is a handy drop off for taxis, they will all know that place. The reception area has a nice chill out space and the rooms have warm showers and a/c. There is a pretty good breakfast put on in the morning too, lots of fruit, cereal and pastries. The only issue I had was the wifi wasn't working and the owner didn't seem to exercised to fix it. He reacted to me asking about it as if it was the first time he had heard about it, but talking to other guests it hadn't been working for a couple of days. He just wasn't bothered calling the provider and getting it fixed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Amazing owners!! Tao and Nud is really freindly and helpful. We arrived on sunday and depart to Pai early morning the next day. Tao specially prepare breakfast for us. It was so touching when we saw it in our room after we came back from sunday night market. Nud gave a good advice in where to go, good place to eat and even help us to arrange tuk-tuk to silk factory and umbrella factory.

Great location near to Thapae gate and Sunday night market. There is restaurant, laundry & bike rental shop, massage centre nearby.

Room is basic and small but reasonable clean with separate toilet and bathroom. Only 1 bad point is the shower curtain in the bathroom is full of mold.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

very good loaction near Tapae Gate in 3min.
Room is also clean and owner is very kind and friendly.
I recommed this hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We were there from 17-20 Feb and we had one of their triple room for 2 nights and 2 double rooms for a night. The rooms were clean with no mosquito which is important because throughout Chiang Mai there are so many mosquitoes EVERYWHERE! Local was perfect: Quiet yet right next to the action: The Sunday Night Market is 3 mins away. Tao and Nun were amazing! Help us SOOO much with our trip: Where to go and eat in Chiang Mai, Where to go for our little 3 day excursion in Northern Thailand and even tips in Bangkok! They also let us leave our bags there when we were traveling around and kept them until we are back. That was very nice of them! I see true hospitality in them!

Only a couple of things: The beds are a little hard for western standard which is pretty much everywhere in Asia if you are not living in some fancy hotels. Also, breakfast was nice with a lot of different types of tea and pastry, but if coffee was not instant and if there are eggs that would have been wonderful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Arrived to find our room had been given to someone else because the owner couldn't distinguish our very different names. Her room, which we were offered instead, had two single beds whereas our room had one double - which we'd specifically asked for when booking. Very annoying. Really wanted to like this place. So we spent the afternoon traipsing around looking for somewhere else in the middle of a VERY busy weekend because we really did not want to sleep in two tiny single beds.
Disappointing!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked my room after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor. I wanted to try somewhere new in Chiang Mai. My fiancé and I got off the overnight train and arrived early. Management seemed nice and the common area was great. We quickly threw our bags in the room and set off to get lunch. The room was sparse, with one fluorescent light and a tiny desk that had seen better days. No matter, as I am not picky. However, when I returned from lunch to take a nap we found hairs were all over the floor and on top of and underneath the sheets. Lots of hairs and the bed obviously had not been cleaned since the last person. We let management know and he had someone change the sheet, but not the tapestry/blanket. I was also just dealing with the ants in bathroom and the door with a gap that allowed Mosquitos into the room. Again, bugs happen. Then horrible construction sounds begin. Sawing metal, hammering, men yelling, etc. It was coming from the alley, not their fault as they can't control their neighbors, but I quickly realized there was NO glass window in the bathroom- simply a screen with a little plastic haphazardly put over. I went down and politely asked the manager if I could check out the following morning instead of staying for two nights like I originally planned (I wanted to leave that minute but had paid for two nights up front as required and decided to at least stay for one as to not put them out.) He agreed only after telling me he had to charge me a 50baht room cleaning fee- what a joke for a room that was dirty in the first place! Construction started bright and early at 8am the next morning, and we were out. At 650 baht (plus cleaning fee) this is a rip off- we found a place down the street with a balcony, tv, and fridge for 500 baht. I really wanted to like this place but would suggest you search elsewhere for a better deal.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Baan JaJa? Share your experiences!