“20 km kajaking through Chiang Dao Valley” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Biking in Chiang Mai is the perfect way to experience beautiful nature trails winding through the closely lying National Parks such as Suthep National Park a 1650 meter high Mountain west of the City. The valleys of Northern Thailand offer beautiful rivers and kayaking is the best way to explore this scenic and untouched landscape. Chiang Mai Mountain Biking & Kayaks will get you there, professional english speaking guides are at hand to make it happen. So if it is a gnarly downhill ride, a cross country bike tour or a day kayaking through Thailand's beautiful scenery this is the place to start.
Perth
6 attraction reviews
“20 km kajaking through Chiang Dao Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very personalized adventorous trip. Great professional tourguide. great wildlife spotting as well. you couldn't ask for more on a trip like this. would always do it again and definitely recommend it :)

Visited March 2013

Guelph, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Great trip but pushy office staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't have any experience mountain biking and for the most part I'm not great on a bike. So my partner and I were interested in Route 1. We were annoyed when the staff said it wasn't available...probably because they didn't want to run it with just 2 people. Instead they pushed us into trip 8, telling us it was no problem and that 7 year olds do it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a 7 year old could do this, and the staff shouldn't be saying that if it's not true. (if you have a 7 year old that can handle this route, I'm seriously impressed!).
We really wanted to do some biking so we went for it. In the end I'm glad we did but a bit more realistic expectation would have been appreciated.
Our guide was fantastic and went at a reasonable pace. There was a large group of us and so we were split into 3 separate groups to go down the mountain, which I thought was a great move. We got a good intro to the bikes and an opportunity to ride them around and even practiced going over a big log before we set out. I think the guides used this to group us based on skill level.
I also like that for my first time, they had breaks along the way. I was terrified so the breaks were good to catch my breath and let my muscles recover as I wasn't used to this type of riding. It was a challenging course for me but also a good introduction.
My partner was quite comfortable on the bike and probably could have done a more advanced route. Seeing this, our guide gave him a few options to take some single tracks through the jungle while the rest of our group stuck to the road. I thought this was excellent, customizing the ride to the rider's abilities.
When I actually did look around and not down at the ground in front of me, the scenery was stunning and so beautiful.
The ride ends down by the lake where we had a good lunch. Overall this was a well organized, professional and fun trip. Highly recommended!

Visited January 2013
Nampung, Owner at Chiang Mai Mountain Biking & Kayaks, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review. To avoid any confusion for future riders ,the reviewer had inquired about trip 8 and did trip 1. Trip 8 is a valley ride and its best during the rainy season or young children. Trip 1 takes you up into the Suthep national park and is usually recommended by our staff over trip 8. The rides on the mountain are a lot cooler then in the valley. ..and great views.
Sorry the staff seemed pushy, I am sure they had your best interest in mind.
Thanks again for riding
Aidan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
20 attraction reviews
“Good day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We took the route 7 I think which was suitable for us as we have 2 kids, aged 8 and 11.
The bikes have been well used and could probably be better but it didnt matter since our guide Leik (spelling?) was ready to fix and tune them on route.
The pick up car was never too far which meant you could leave your heavy things or water in the car. It was also reassuring with kids, in case something went wrong with them.
The route was varied and it included a simple yet nice lunch at a local rural place.
Leik was very friendly and attentive and encouraged the kids as we went along, helped our son go up the hill and taught the kids a few bike tricks as well. By the way, he spoke very good english as well as some french.
We had a great day!

Visited March 2013
Moscow, Russia
3 attraction reviews
“Great biking trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked route #3 (old smuggler's route) mountain biking trip as a part of two days tour from Tree Top Asia (with Zipline adventures). So, the route is a bit challenging for those who did mountain biking just a couple of times before (like me) but the guides evaluate each participant's ability and biking skills before start. Believe me, the beautiful scenery from the mountains and on the lake at the end of the trip worth it! Guides are very helpful and knowledgeable, they speak English very well. If you like cross-country biking and the forest, it's definitely for you. The only minus is quite old equipment - my bike sounded like it's gonna fall apart, and safety equipment is quite dirty. But the bikes are well maintained, so it doesn't cause a problem. The trip was awesome!

Scotland
“Highly professional service and great day's kayaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This was a thoroughly professional and well organised days kayaking. It is refreshing to receive a proper briefing concerning the basic elements of kayaking and safety prior to going on the river. Clearly Aiden knows his stuff and possesses a relaxed yet highly knowledgeable style of presentation. There have been comments made over distance to travel to the river, however, this is a necessary evil as the water is matched to the ability of the group and the requirements of the day. Prior to going on the river a further set of instructions are given, just to ensure that everybody really understands the basic principles. On the water, we were in a large group of very good guys. We were very well supervised and at the trickier sections a guide ensured your safe passage. I would travel to Chang Mai just to go with this company and gain more experience in kayaking. A great day out. I feel this was a highly structured day out, where the company tries to give you lifelong skills rather than cheap thrills. I loved it!!