“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vieng Lanna Mantra

You added Vieng Lanna Mantra to your Saves list
Vieng Lanna Mantra
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   9 Rajdamneon Road | Soi 1 Tam bon Sri Phume, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #102 of 537 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I and my wife only stayed here a night. The hotel is well located. However there are few parking space as I rent a car to travel around Chiang Mai. The staff are polite and helpful when we ask for the direction in town. Breakfast is not bad but not the best, but I can't complain about it since the rate is not expensive.
The poolside look cozy to sit relax around there but we did not have much time for swimming.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We booked Vieng Lanna Mantra as our hotel in Chiang Mai for three nights. The location is a super amazing first thing for this hotel. It is just like 3 minutes walk to a famous Sunday Walking Street which is a lot of things for you to see! We arrived on Sunday afternoon, the road were blocked for the walking street so the taxi dropped us outside and we have to walk a little bit to the hotel. It is not hard to find at all! Right from the main street it will only take you like 5 minutes - there is an alley for you to walk in on your right hand side if you coming from the main street - there is a sign to lead you inside and only a few meters.

The hotel is actually not a big hotel. We got a warmly welcome from the staffs and show us the room on the second floor. The room is really nice, got a balcony to relax. The bed is really comfortable. They also provide free bottle of water everyday and also coffee and tea in room.

Breakfast is amazing! got basically everything for you to start up your day! Fried egg and scrambled egg for your choice, ham, bacon, sausages, salad, yogurt, fruits, cereal, toast, rice omg! love it so much!

We used the pool during our stay and it was peaceful and nice - it is not so deep so it kinda safe for those who can't swim. If you are lucky, you can have the pool for your own - basically around 8-9 pm peace and quiet :) and if you don't feel like swimming, they also have a sunbath chair for you to lie down, read book etc. Very comfortable!

Overall, a very nice stay. Would go back there again if I visited Chiang Mai!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Thailand and stayed at the Vieng Mantra during our time in Chiang Mai. The hotel is very well-located, a 10-minute walk to temples, restaurants and the night market. Comfortable double bed, safe in the room, large TV and good air-conditioning, always a must in Thailand! Swimming pool open until 10pm, really nice when you're back at the hotel and need to relax after a whole day walking around town. Good breakfast, fruits, juices and Western and oriental food in large portions. The restaurant is not open at all times, but you don't need it anyway, there is a nice café just around the corner. I probably would stay there again, but... The hotel urgently needs to hire people with better English skills! You have to be very patient to explain many times to the front desk what you need, because they are unable to answer some simple questions or requests - and give information that you can understand - while staring at you with a smile. It is a lot worse than other places in Thailand, so I believe this is a particular issue at this hotel. Ask for a lower floor if you have trouble climbing the stairs. We were given a room on the third floor, and, although we had our luggage carried up, we had to climb the stairs up and down all the time. The bathroom was not very clean and be careful when taking shower because you can get burned if you touch the hot water pipe by accident. Low speed Wi-fi connection in the room, better on the ground floor (just some 30 steps downstairs....)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground or first floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We moved here for our second week in Chiang Mai to be within the city walls and were not disappointed.

The rooms are all based around the swimming pool with rooms looking down onto it. The rooms and the bedding were very clean.

Breakfast was a little basic for a vegetarian

We used the laundry over the road from us which was very good and cheap.

We went on the trip to the temple in the mountains advertised by the hotel, we had our own driver and highly recommended.

The staff are all very helpful and were always smiling.

The hotel is up a lane from a busy street and this helps towards its charm, you almost begin to know the characters and was nice and quite.

Close to most city temples, we did a walking tour around the city, found online.

Would return

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have to thank the reviewers in Tripadvisor and another travel site as they lead me to try Vieng Mantra, and it was worth it. It's a nice place to stay and formed part of my enjoyable holiday in Chiag Mai.

When I was taken in a taxi to the hotel, my hopes were not terribly high as we dashed through the crowded noisy streets of Old City, and they got even lower when we went into a lane. I got out, and then my head spun for a moment when I saw it was like a mini resort hidden away from the rest of the Old City. There were heaps of casual wide outdoor chairs with cushions half a dozen tourists in their 20's-30's were just lounging around on, the reception staff smiled, it was open and you could see the crystal clear blur water pool, many rooms with balconies. Awesome!

They are only 3 levels high, so there's no pretentious 4-5 digit room number. Mine was just a single digit. So simple and down to earth.

The room seemed slightly down market, yet completely adequate timber. The only qualms I had about the interior were there's no in room safe, and the door leading to the balcony was not flush with the frame- quite a gap at the bottom corner- possible mosquito entrance. But the balcony is good. it's timber, has a timber 4 row clothes hanger, which I, as well as many tenants used. Chiang Mai is so hot- 36-38 degrees celcius every day- you just wash your stuff, hang it for a few hours, and it's dry! there's also a built in cushioned bench you can just chill on the balcony, and some smokers and non smokers sit and read there too. It's all part of the relaxing ambience and charm of the place.

The buffet breakfast is not large, yet has a spread which includes the essentiuals of what I like: x4 different juices, milk, water, coffee, tea, x4-5 heated dishes like friend rice/noodles, sausages, ham, x4 sliced fruits- one time- one fruit was mango- MANGO! never see that- it's expensive sometimes! As it was nearly time for breakfast to end, and the mango plate was full, I selfishly scooped a third of the plate of mango onto my own. For that 15 minutes, mango was my drug of choice, everyone else be damned! ;-p There were also some banana muffins, croissants, and fresh veges like lettuce, onion, sliced tomato, and other things. I tried to eat the healthy things

Some reviewers have waxed lyrical about poor staff attitude. My experience was there was one female receptionist who was not full of smiles and friendly. But everyone else was. I really wouldn't have rated the entire place a 1 star based on one staff member.

A few other things.

- I arrived on a Sunday early afternoon. Be aware that on Sunday nights, the whole main street the lane is attached to become a long market choked with hundreds and hundreds of tourists. I think the road is actually blocked off until...mayb 10-11pm? So if you arrive sunday night, it'll be harder to get to the hotel.

- The hotel has a ton of brochures opposite the reception on many fun activities in Chiang Mai. You can book through them.

- Alternatively, there are small shops opposite- laundry, group bookings, food, thai massage. They are at reasonable prices. eg- the thai massage is 180 baht an hour indoors. Most places will be 200-300 an hour.

When I go to Chiang Mai, I'll probably come to Viang Mantra again. Price, location and venue are good.

Thank you for your patience in reading!

Room Tip: My room faced the pool, I had no issues.
Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed at Vieng Mantra for 3 nights around mid-April and had a great time. I want to echo a lot from a recent reviewer as our experience was very similar. The staff was very welcoming, warm, and efficient to get us into our room. The room was a good size and clean. The breakfast was a nice spread covering Asian and European options. The bed was comfortable and we had good sleeps. The WiFi was solid and the desktop computers behind the pool area were helpful to have available. The pool was nice and clean. The hotel had a relaxing ambiance.

For the price, we were very pleased. Recommended. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is my preferred hotel of choice when I am in Chiang Mai mainly due to the location. On my most recent stay the room I had was, much larger and nicer than previous rooms so I must have booked a deluxe. This room was large with a dvd player and a much nicer bathroom . The pool is always cold which is not so good in January but great in April! Pool towels can be scarce in the afternoon. The wifi is good!
I will continue to stay here for the reasons above but the breakfast is not good for vegetarians with only fruit and toast as options. And the reception staff seem to pride themselves on their unhelpfulness - they giggle and gossip behind the counter while you wait patiently for any acknowledgement.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Vieng Lanna Mantra? Share your experiences!