“Family of 4 (Asia expats from US) in 2br suite” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Furama Chiang Mai

Save Saved
You added Furama Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Furama Chiang Mai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Huay Keaw Road | Tambol Chang Puak, Muang, (formerly Grand Heritage Hotel), Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand   |
Ranked #131 of 331 hotels in Chiang Mai
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Family of 4 (Asia expats from US) in 2br suite”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The 2br suite is great for a family and we paid high season rates and was only ($220)
USD). It is much bigger than two connecting rooms so only about 100 per night per room. It's huge - one enormous bedroom and one that is the size of a standard hotel room, oth with their own full baths with separate showers and jacuzzi tubs. Full kitchen with big refrigerator and sink and glassware but no cutlery or tools or plates. Hot water kettle and tea/coffee supplies. Both rooms have flat screens and desks and plenty of closet space. They are nice and bright with lots of windows. The main room has a full size dining room table and living room area with another flat screen. However, the bad part of this hotel is that it is really old and tired and service is awful. The hotel pools are very dilapidated - one smaller pool on the roof has nice 360 degree city views but 5 chaise lounges and no service/towels unless you hunt them down yourself. The other pool is off the fifth floor and is larger but equally abandoned by staff. It is such a wreck that my 4 year old actually stepped on a small piece of broken glass at the pool's edge. There is no shade on the 5th floor pool and again... 5 chaises - this hotel has at least 100 rooms. Breakfast is terrible - both the Western and Asian dishes are bad and there is a poor selection. Instant coffee from a machine. Tiny paper napkins. Ketchup brought to you if requested in fast food packets. Seriously? This is a Furama? Our only other experience with Furama is Da Nang, VN, and this is no Furama Da Nang. We have two more nights to suffer through and then we go to Bangkok... and first world service. Oh, and I tried to take the stairs from the pool up to our room and was locked in the stairwell for 10 minutes before a maid heard my banging on the door and let me back in... Then she and another maid proceeded to laugh and laugh at my apparent stupidity. Nice. Wait - I have to add my lunch experience in their restaurant. Ordered the only Caesar salad on the menu which comes with grilled chicken. First salad - I don't even know what it was - iceberg lettuce and no chicken. Sent back - then I got a plain Caesar without chicken. I thought I must be on tv since everyone in my party had almost finished eating at that point. Sent it back and said cancel. Then they waited forever to bring the check and instead, brought anoher salad. It was right the third time but we were leaving. There is one exemplary woman at the front desk who knew what she was doing but she couldn't cover the entire hotel. At least check-in was lovely.

Room Tip: If you are a family, get the 2 bedroom suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Momwith2boysVN,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking. One of our priorities is to provide quality service, therefore your comments are very important to us. Your specific issues have been taken up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We would like to inform you that the management teams who are concerned with the problems mentioned above. We are not complacent, also attempt to resolve the issue and reply back to you as soon as possible.

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel was acquired by Furama's group. Lobby and reception area are very nice decoration. Some floor had already fully renovated but it's still smelly from cigarette and old carpet. Even renovation the room but they are not improve bathroom. It's look very old and dirty. Food are very simple nothing interest and recommended. But they are located in central area which is very convenience to get the attraction point.(Especially who have own/rental car.) I would rate this hotel 6/10.

Room Tip: Please mention when you make a reservation for the room which fully renovated.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Thanaphol T,

Thank you for sharing you experience with us. We apologized for the smell from the cigarette and old carpet. We are now on processing of carpet deep clean floor by floor. So this wouldn't be happened again on your next trip.

Thank you again for bringing us these issues. It is disappointing to know you were not satisfied with the bathroom and layout of the hotel especially the breakfast options. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you very much for your review. We glad to hear that you enjoy with our decoration at Lobby area. Your feedback is very important to us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel lobby is really great, however the rest of the place is very old. The room is very quaint, nothing fancy but you get what you pay for. The beds however, are extremely hard.

My partner and I wanted to explore a little and try a place outside the hotel for lunch. We asked the staff where was a place to eat and they only recommended the restaurant in the hotel. I told them we wanted to get outside of the hotel but they kept insisting on us eating in. We later discovered there was a very nice, and cheaper restaurant literally right across from the lobby doors as well as a few great places down the street. When we went to eat lunch at the hotel restaurant we waited a very long time for our food. When my partner's food finally arrived, it was then I was notified my meal was not available. Why I wasn't told that as soon as our order went to the kitchen, I do not know.

The 360 bar and grill is located on the roof and is a very nice venue. However, the food is a little over priced. The quality is good with a nice selection, but I think it's best to just have drinks, enjoy the view, and try somewhere else to eat. My partner is not from Thailand and cannot take a lot of spice, but he likes a little bit. We asked for just a little spice in his soup but when the dish came it almost made him cry it was so hot! When I looked in the soup there were so many red chilis. I am half Thai and very used to spice and even that dish was way too hot for me. We had to order something different and we were still charged for the meal we couldn't even eat. It is also very dark at the restaurant on the roof, the waiter had to constantly hold a flashlight for us in order to see the menu (which is also why we couldn't see the chilis in the soup).

I understand that sometimes it can be hard for a foreigner eating thai spices but I don't think if a dish is inedible we should still pay for it. I wouldn't say the service was terrible at this hotel, just not as great many other places I have stayed in Thailand. Location wise, I would probably stay somewhere closer to the city. The hotel is close enough for a cheap tuk tuk but I still would have liked to be walking distance to some places. We got a driver through the hotel who took us around Chiang Mai. He was really great and probably the highlight of our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear smg1992 ,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking. One of our priorities is to provide quality service, therefore your comments are very important to us. Your specific issues have been taken up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We look forward to welcome for your next visit and to provide you with higher quality service.

With kind regards,

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel looks amazing as you walk in. The room was very spacious and comfortable had good nights sleep.A little way from the market and town centre but plenty of tuk tuk to take you anywhere that you want.The breakfast time was an absolute nightmare.No coffee cups,no butter no marmalade , no bread,asked three times for things told to wait a minute ,waited 20 minutes gave up had no breakfast. Their attitude in the breakfast room was a disgace.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear pebbles 123 london,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am also happy that you liked the room but it is disappointing to know you were not satisfied with our breakfast and our service in the restaurant of the hotel, this was soon resolved.

We appreciate your feedback and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Changchun, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. Upon check-in, they were friendly to me but not to my wife, who is Thai. She was very offended by their manner and greeting to her.

Wi-fi is free in the rooms but very slow. The room is quite spacious but definitely needs some tuning up. If they spent as much time renovating the rooms as they do the lobby, then this would be a nice place to stay. Mold in the shower, hard bed, cracked ceilings and walls, and bird poop all over the balcony (disgusting - see picture attached).

The hotel is also very far from the center. You will need a motorbike or rely on taxis or sangteows to get to the night bazaar or Chiang Mai gate. There are no real good restaurants nearby - most cater to foreign tourists and are thus very overpriced. The hotel does have a service center to rent motorbikes, but it is very overpriced and they are very slow - we nearly missed our flight because we were waiting for the guy to return so we could get my passport back. Basically, this is barely a 3-star hotel. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear oxfordstu,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking. One of our priorities is to provide quality service. Therefore your comments are very important to us. Your specific issues will be bringing up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced.

Once again, Thank you for bringing us these issues and we are looking forward to your next visit and to provide you with higher quality service.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

terrible, worst place we have stayed in 4 weeks we have been in thailand. when we arrived i was asked for a deposit which i payed in cash, when i checked out they had no record that i left a deposit?. in the evening we went up to the bar/resturant area , and was waiting to be seated for 10 mins (staff standing around talking, and loads of spare space) we ended up going else where. the rooms needed lots of repair- ceilings cut out, out of date/broken furniture. would not recommend

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear callum a,

Greeting from Furama Chiangmai.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with the cash deposit, it is disappointing to know you were not satisfied .

The investigation shown that upon checking in procedure , our staff asked you only a credit card number to guarantee the booking as we have explained to your primary e-mail.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We look forward to welcome you back whenever you visit Chiang Mai again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Good customer service, large clean rooms, amazing buffet breakfast which we had included. Is located out of city centre but taxis/tuk tuks were cheap enough that this was not a problem. There is a big mall 5-10min walk away. The only thing we were disappointed in was that we booked it for the pool, several days we were there they had functions on around the pool which meant we could not access the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chaiwat S, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Amy S,

Thank you very much for your taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor in regards to your stay at Furama Hotel Chiangmai. We happy Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectation to hear that you are enjoyed your stay with us.

It is disappointing to know you were not satisfied cause of closing pool. Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Front Office Manager

Been to Furama Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!