“Great Climbing Scene” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 2002, CMRCA has provided award-winning rock climbing and caving courses in stunningly beautiful northern Thailand. With a strong focus on quality instruction, CMRCA is much more than a tour operator. CMRCA is owned and run by passionate climbers and cavers who want nothing more than to create other passionate adventurers! Safety always comes first. We use only the best, internationally-certified equipment, and our guides are held to the highest standards in Thailand.Be sure to book in advance as courses fill up quickly.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
nope
“Great Climbing Scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

And all thanks to the hard work of CMRCA. I found the climbing at Crazy Horse fantastic (I showed up with partners and was climbing there without guiding or anything else) and I really appreciated the help and friendliness of CMRCA employees. They helped us figure out how to get to the crag, helped arrange a homestay nearby, and were always enthusiastic and positive. In addition they have done a ton of work in the area providing fun, safe, and challenging routes for climbers of almost any ability level. While Southern Thailand gets all the hype the north is not to be missed.

Visited April 2012

Dublin, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
“You can do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent one and a half days with the team at CMRCA and it was time not easily forgotten. We went to the training facility to learn the basics first. Our family of four with two kids ages 12 and 8 spent the afternoon with Ooan to learn knots, equipment, technique and safety rules. This really helped us prepare before tackling the next day of full-on rock climbing, as beginners. The experience was amazing and much more exhilarating than expected. The staff is incredible, Ooan, Ad and Bo took very good care of us. We did the rock climbing and caving combination. The climbing and descent into the cave was spectacular. Climbing back up was difficult but a huge sense of accomplishment. The descent down was scary for our 8 year old at first, but he did it and his achievement was inspiration to us all. The day is fantastic, the team is extremely professional and knowledgable. After this experience, I would not hesitate to rock climb again. I would rate the level higher than beginner, as it was a little aggressive for first timers. However, the smiles at the end and the memories are everlasting.

Visited December 2012
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

You are taken care of for the entire day, the instructors are all amazingly nice, the food they prepare for you is great, all the equipment is very safe and they really know how to take good care of you. They can pick you up at the hotel for an extra charge but since their office is located in the center of the old city its very easy to get to. I think it's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it!

Visited July 2012
Oakhurst, California
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing Rock Climbing Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My family and I live at the south entrance to Yosemite Valley. We have done a bit of rock climbing in the valley itself. So with that said, I want to express my gratitude for the professionalism and outstanding adventure that we had with CMRCA. They are as good as we have seen in the rock climbing industry. They knew the area well and made safety the highest priority. Ooan, Bo and Aut were amazing coaches for my kids. They gave us an experience that we will never forget.

Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Solid instruction!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I checked these guys out two weeks ago (Jan 2013) for a 1-day rock climbing adventure -- it was my first time climbing in SE Asia and these guys took me to one of SE Asia's greenest and most admired mountain, the Crazy Horse Buttress. The view of the valley from up top is indescribable, you'll have to see it for yourself.

Here's how your day will start (assuming you take the 1-day course): arrive by 8:15am, get fitted with your climbing gear, hop on the truck for a 30 minute ride to the mountain, go over safety instructions with GREAT detail (they really shine here), and then start climbing! After a couple hours, they'll bring you a delicious lunch (seriously) and you kickback for an hour to eat, relax, and get ready for some more afternoon climbing. Once you're done for the day, they'll transport you back to their shop and it's a wrap! Transportation from the shop to your hotel/hostel/etc is not included, so you'll have to find a way home. Same goes for the mornings (you'll have to get their yourself).

I think an important thing to note are the instructors. I had two instructors and they were both INCREDIBLY knowledgeable, personable, and professional. It almost felt like I was hanging out with my friends from back home. Their English is rock solid, too, so don't worry about not being able to talk to them, ask for advice, etc.

If you've never climbed before, don't be afraid and sign up with these guys. If you've climbed before, still sign up with these guys. You WON'T regret it.