“excellent place for the heart relax” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save on Event tickets
Ranked #6 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“excellent place for the heart relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is really an amazing experience! we stay 5 days there last week, follow the cooking course, message, follow the volunteer's teaching activity. The students is so nice and give you a strength for the future. Every one in the guest house is like in a big family.
The student foundation program is so good that bring hopes to everyboday.
The body and the heart was all relaxed during the stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited Joy's House and Lakeland farm for the third time in April 2013 with our two daughters - this is home-away-from-home for us and we are always welcomed and made to feel part of the family. We spent the first 4 days at Lakeland farm (the Children's Shelter Foundation - http://www.childrens-shelter.com/) where the younger children live and go to school. Life on the farm is good - the fruit and vegetables are grown organically on the farm and meals are not only organic but local and seasonal - it doesn't get fresher than that! The children learn life skills, sign language lessons, Thai lessons and farming & agriculture skills. They have the recent addition of a library and a coffee shop, where they serve coffee grown on the farm. Some activities to do while staying there include participating in a sign language lesson with the children, baking with them, swimming in the farm dam, cycling with the children, visiting the local market and seeing the hot springs close to the farm. The half-day 'Flight of the Gibbon' Zipline Canopy Tour is around 30 minutes drive from the farm and is fantastic - the staff at Joy's House can book this for you. The children always appreciate being treated to a special meal as well as an outing for ice cream or sweets. It is highly recommended that you spend a few days here - we always leave here having a learnt a lot more from the teachers and children than they from us. Our last 4 days were spent at Joy's House with the older Children's Shelter Foundation children. The food here is also fantastic (and their Thai cooking course is great fun), you get to experience local culture like nowhere else, the students play fun music in the evenings, our kids are free to play and roam, the atmosphere is happy and welcoming, the swimming pool is cool after a hot day out-and-about and the Thai massage is the best in Thailand. We've just left Chiang Mai and we already miss everyone at Joy's House and The Children's Shelter Foundation - we can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Fantastic place, beautiful people,very clean, lovely fresh cooked food, great level of service - all with a smile!
Airport transfers, swimming pool, massages, cooking classes, excursions, sharing local knowledge, 3 day trip to Northern Thailand were all part of our 10 day package.

Highlights were singing along with the staff after dinner, celebrating my wifes birthday with a cake, small gift and those beautiful floating lanterns, (just like in the Disney film "Tangled"), breakfast in the open pergola, cooking your own egg dish and waffles, thai soup and fresh fruit, meeting people from all over the world, singles, couples and families, watching the kids play whilst the adults relaxed over coffee. Temple trips, sticky gold leaf and busy, local markets.

Out 10 days were great, simply flew by. Joy's House was so inviting and accommodating it was like being part of the family.

Joy and Ulrike have a wonderful Childern's Shelter Foundation, the results of which are emblazoned in the faces of the young adults who live and work at the guest house and who interact with you on a daily basis. The Foundation, of which you can read about on the website of Joy's House, provides young hill tribe kids with an education and trade opportunities, love, care, brotherly and sisterly respect with each other and nourishment all the way through to those formative years of early adulthood. The results of the efforts of the dedicated staff is plain to see and your to enjoy during your stay at Joy's House.

It was great to stay there, it was difficult to leave, but it is so easy to return. And we will.

Room Tip: We stayed in the King room, very spacious, bathroom was great. Most other rooms that I looked into w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Joy's House was so incredibly accomodating to me! To start, physically the place is simply charming. I love all of the sweet artwork and decoration throughout. It seemed as though the colors changed there everyday and that there was something new to discover around each corner, whether it was a little statue, an inviting pillow-topped bench to sit on, or even the sweet little cats that make Joy's House their home. The students that run the place exude joy - each night over dinner we were serenaded by a small group of them singing along to acoustic guitar, we were always greeted with a smile and a truly joyful spirit, sincerely hoping we were having a wonderful time. The massages were unbelievable and affordable, as was the entire stay there. One of the days I took part in the Early-morning Monk Meditation Tour, which was a full day of getting a behind-the-scenes look at local culture - we even visited a hill tribe where not many travellers get to go to. During that day, my camera battery was dying and my tour guide let me use his phone all afternoon to take pictures, then he emailed them to me later in the day. That is the type of excellent customer service I received day after day at Joy's House. I had such an authentic experience, which I feel is above and beyond what I would have received at any other hotel in the city, and I would not go back and change a thing. Another thing that I enjoyed is that it is not in the heart of the city - it is about a 15-minute cab or shuttle ride from the Chiang Mai night market and city center, which translates to about a $6 cab ride. So nice to be in a quiet and green area hearing birdsong with the option of getting to the city in a heartbeat. I recommend Joy's House over and over again, and I do plan on going back for my next stay in Thailand!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong Region, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This resort is perfect for family with kids, or couples who would like to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We didn't have kids, but we saw that the families that do were treating Joy's like their own home, with playmates and a gorgeous pool.

The service was also amazing. Constant smiles everywhere.

If you are looking for a place near all the bars and restaurants, this is not it, though everything is a 15 min ride away.

The best part is that there is a nonprofit angle to this place. There are currently 40 children it is supporting and teaching, until they reach colleage age, even with scholarships for them to boot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my first trip to Thailand, and I was so pleasantly surprised. I normally don't plan to go back to places I've already stayed because I like to do new things, but I will definitely go back to Joy's house. The staff, students and fellow travelers made me feel like I'd found a home away from home. They made everything so easy. The food was great, the massages were wonderful, and I highly recommend the cooking class. The trip to the market to buy food for the cooking class was worth it alone. The room I was in was so large, I almost felt guilty staying there by myself. I can't say enough good things about the place and the people. I did not have my sons with me, but the next time I go, I will take them. It is a wonderfully family friendly place.

With breakfast outdoors, airport pickup, and very reasonable meals, massage and other excursions, this is a budget priced way to enjoy a luxury experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east, north and south are cooler in the afternoon.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
dereham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Couldn't fault joys house- wonderful welcome and lovely family atmosphere! Our room was palatial - much better than any fancy hotel! Also lovely pool and open area for breakfast outside and meals cooked if you want them for very reasonable price, optional interesting excursions each day and nothing is too much trouble for them,

Room Tip: Lovely pool and massage! We had superior room which was fantastic
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Joy's House? Share your experiences!