“Does service make all the difference?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pat's Klangviang

You added Pat's Klangviang to your Saves list
Pat's Klangviang
154/1-2 Prapokklao Road | Thumbon Prasing, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #47 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Voorburg, The Netherlands
“Does service make all the difference?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Booked a superior room with free complimentary internet for 4 days during the beginning of April.
I arrived at around 11 am and received a warm welcome from the staff and a delicious welcome drink. I didn’t even have to ask for a map or directions to a good restaurant. After checking in, Pat immediately offered me a map of Chiang Mai along with directions to Wat Chedi Luang and recommended eateries and spas which were close-by. She even offered to call the tour agencies re. the tours which I had booked to reconfirm. I was also happy to hear that my room was available before the standard checkin time. The staff carried my heavy suitcase upstairs to my room (nr. 2) on the upper floor, which had a nice street view plus a balcony. Unfortunately the room itself was very basic and quite small. There isn’t much walking space nor is there room for any closets (just a few clothes hanging bars above the minibar). There’s a small safe in the room, which isn’t big enough for a 15’ inch laptop, but every time I went out the reception was happy to store it for me. The bed is comfy and the room was clean enough, with the exception of the dust behind the toilet (my face towel fell and was covered in it). The bathroom was also pretty small- app 4m2 and very basic with a simple shower with shower curtain. The interior of the room/ bathroom itself isn’t nice to look at either; I don’t know if you can tell from the photos, but the walls in the bathroom look like grey wet cement. There’s a boiler in the bathroom for hot water, but during my entire stay there wasn’t any. Luckily Chiang Mai was very hot during the time that I was there, so I could manage with the cold water. There is free bottled water provided. There was excellent hi-speed wifi in the room as well as 3 pc’s and a printer for guests to use on the first floor. The guests are allowed to go online for free during the first hour (40 THB per hour afterwards). The service during breakfast was good, but the options were very limited, allowing you to choose a Western style mini breakfast (eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, toast, jelly and orange juice), an Asian style breakfast (incl. noodles) or oatmeal/ cereal. There were a lot of flies in the dining area outside which was quite annoying (not sure if this was due to a lack of cleanliness). The location is good with an ATM across the street and a couple of restaurants/ bistro’s and a 7-eleven within walking distance. The main shopping area (McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, Fish spa, Phantip etc.) is about 2 km away (20 min. walking). However, you can easily hail a songthaew if you walk to the end of the street (away from Wat Chedi Luang), which will cost about 40 baht. You can also walk to the city center yourself; just remember to go left at the end of the street and keep walking straight ahead for about 10-15 min. In conclusion, this guesthouse is in a pretty good location (not a lot of mosquitos here either, because of the limited trees) with extremely friendly/ service oriented staff. Unfortunately the room and the amenities just weren’t my cup of tea and I would agree with one of the previous reviewers in saying that this B&B certainly isn't deluxe. However, if personalized B&B service is the most important thing for you, you will definitely love it here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Florianopolis, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My partner and I found the staff extremely helpful, friendly, and welcoming. However, there were a lot of negative things about this place. To begin with, when we first arrived I didn’t feel that either the lobby or the room was Deluxe like it said on the website. I was extremely disappointed, the place was clean, I have to admit, but the drain had a problem as I was showering in the bathroom my feet were standing in the dirty water. Later I saw a cockroach in the bathroom. I kept thinking with me what is deluxe at this place; something must be good about it. Next day, we went for our first breakfast and it was very limited choice. I was annoyed with everything they served. To begin with, the POWDERED orange juice for breakfast. Are you kidding me? I saw so many tropical fruits and for a deluxe package that’s what you served your clientele. That was enough for me to live this place. I felt cheated because the price was not average compared to other hotels in the same street. I found another hotel on the same street for 30 dollars cheaper. I paid for three nights and I only stayed one; they did not offer to return my money for the two extra nights. They did not even bother to ask why we were leaving.
The hotel doesn’t seem to realize they are missing out on a lot of potential. I Hope this comment is useful to others and the owner to improve the breakfast and some of the room details.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Pat's is a really nice place, but I'm just not sure if it's 1500B nice. The rooms, which are fairly small, are stocked with ensuite, AC, TV, in-room wifi and a mini fridge. Daily room cleaning and water is provided. The bathrooms are pretty neat, but a couple of the rooms sort of have big sliding frosted-glass doors as the only wall between the toilet and the room. Couples sharing these rooms (the two that are street facing) will need to be fairly comfortable with each other when using the toilet...

The wifi was pretty good and there are three computers available for use with internet. Pat was quite helpful when we first arrived and helped us get oriented to the city with a few pointers of where to check out first.

I had been in SE Asia for about two months staying in mostly 300B-500B guesthouses (cicumstance had me stay at Pat's for two nights, grossly over-budget) and to be honest, it really only felt slightly nicer than some of the better ones I had stayed at. If I just saw the room, I would have guessed the price to be more in the 600B-1000B range. But that's just me.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and there is always a smile. We asked for a change of rooms on arrival as the original one did not have a view and it was no problem.
The rooms are comfortable, ours had a view towards the temples and the street, but was relatively quiet. The finish of the bathrooms is a bit lacking, no tiles or paint only bare concrete.
The breakfast although a limited menu is still substantial and very fresh.
It is very close to restaurants, markets and sightseeing options. Tours or other arrangements are not a problem.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone but be warned there are only stairs and there are three floors.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs ask for a room on the second level.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Mackay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

Close to Temples but a little far away from markets, shopping and central chiang mai.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Although the bed was very hard, Pat gave us more quilts/blankets to help make it softer. Breakfast was included in our price and was just wonderful. And they remembered what we wanted and how we liked it from the day before. Pats helper even made me a special milo drink every morning.

Pats helper was always happy and enthusiastic. He was willing to help with anything to make our stay special. He even stayed awake all night 1 night to make sure we got home safe from a big day out.

Loads of tour brochures available and Pat booked everything for us, including a private tour which was just awesome.

We highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2011
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed for a week at Pat's Klangviang in early February, 2012. We found Pat and all of her staff to be very helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed the location which is centrally located yet away from the places where all of the other tourists tend to stay. The breakfasts were great with three options. We appreciated the help booking things to do which was invaluable. The washroom facility in the room was simple but adequate. We had the room which faces the temple across the street. It was a great view though there is a bit of noise early in the morning as you are living in a real Thai neighbourhood. Restaurants and other services are within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front, while a bit nosier, provide a balcony and great view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

4 stars for the service, 3 stars for the room.

Service - everyone at the front desk was always friendly, but not always helpful. One night, I asked for something to help with mosquitoes in the room. They promptly handed me a couple of mosquito repellent incense. However, they couldn't find any matches or lighters, so that was useless. One day, I put out the sign that said "please clean room." When I returned in the evening, I saw the room was not cleaned. They explained that the maid wasn't there that day, and someone should have told me in the morning. No big deal, it didn't bother me one bit. The next day, I put out the sign that said "do not disturb," since I didn't want the room cleaned that day. When I returned, I saw the room was cleaned, sheets were made, etc. Again, not a big deal - but inconsistencies with what I requested.
They were best with their breakfast service - very attentive. I had to leave early the day I checked out, and they got up early to fix me something. Very nice of them.

Room- this is what I liked least. The room was big enough just for a bed and built-in "table" for the TV. The problem is that there is no counter space, no place at all to put up your luggage. Same thing in the bathroom - no space at all in the shower. If they had shower gel and shampoo dispensers on the wall, then I wouldn't have minded. But the provided little jars, so I had no place to put them. Also no counter space by the sink. I had to put my toiletries on the shower rack. Lastly, the room was dimly lit, definitely not enough for reading. All in all, a most inconvenient room. I got the superior room, maybe the deluxe room would have solved these problems, but still - I expect these basic things in any room.

Location - right in the middle of the old city, so great if you like that. not many choices in terms of food nearby - had to go outside the old city near the night bazaar area for food mostly. But not bad. beware there there's quite a bit of noise as the guest house is on a busy street.

summary - nice friendly staff. they tried to accommodate my requests, but sometimes not the right results. the room was the big problem for me, though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pat's Klangviang? Share your experiences!