“Most comfortable bed in Thailand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sawasdee Chiangmai House

You added Sawasdee Chiangmai House to your Saves list
Sawasdee Chiangmai House
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5 Praplokklao Soi 13 | T.Sripoom, A.Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #78 of 537 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Medford, OR
“Most comfortable bed in Thailand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We traveled in Thailand for over three weeks and found this place to have the most comfortable beds and bedding of anywhere we stayed. And if you've tried Thai beds you know they are usually very hard and (for us) uncomfortable. The rooms are unique with hand painted art on the wall above the bed and they're big too with a nice patio area overlooking the street complete with table and chairs. This place is across the street from a school so is pretty quiet at night and there are no blaring music sounds from bars. Still, if you don't want to be awake by 8:30 in the morning you might want ear plugs. Actually, we got up early and really enjoyed the laughter and singing we heard. We found the proprieter "Sam" and his niece so very welcoming and accommodating. (They chipped in tape, plastic string and helped us pack a Thai folding pillow for the trip home!) This is Sam';s business in retirement and he speaks English very well and is eager to help but not overly so. This is a cool place. Don't forget to sign the VIP wall!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sawasdee Chiang Mai House for 4 nights recently, and had a very comfortable stay. As mentioned in other reviews, the room is quite spacious, especially considering the budget price. The hotel was very quiet, except in the morning when you could hear PA anouncements from the school across the street (but it didn't really bother us). The continental breakfast was basic (fruit, toast, and coffee/tea), but perfectly adequate. The WiFi worked wonderfully, and there's a desktop computer in the little cafe downstairs (where breakfast is served) that you can use if you don't have your own laptop.
By far the best feature of this hotel was the service. Sam and the other female staff member (I can't remember her name!) were extremely helpful, and assisted us in renting a motorbike and booking a bicycle tour, both at discounted rates because it was done through them. They seemed like they were sitting at that desk from early morning until late at night, and were always ready to answer our constant questions at any time.
I am particularly grateful to Sam for his help with getting my husband's wedding ring back to us, which he had left in our room upon checking out. We e-mailed Sam when we realized that it had been left behind (which was several hours after having checked out), and he got back to us right away (within minutes). He ended up sending the ring (at no charge!) to our hotel in Bangkok, and it was there waiting for us when we arrived a week later. Thank you so much, Sam!
All in all, it was a great place to stay in Chiang Mai. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Usakos, Namibia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We spent a couple night here on our trip around Thailand and this place was our favorite of the trip. The owner, Sam and his niece Mo were what made the place so amazing. They were very friendly and accommodating and were able to book us some last minute tours no problem and as well give some great advice on places to eat. They even offered us a pair of their own shoes and socks when we went zip-lining because we had only brought sandals! The place itself is very clean with spacious well decorated rooms. If I go back to Chiang Mai, I would definitely stay at the Sawasdee Chiangmai House.

• Stayed November 2009
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

sawasdee chiang mai is the perfect mix of comfort and good value. the rooms are beautiful and very large, the prices are very competitive.
The owners and staff at the hotel are all very friendly and helpful, they will happily deal with all your travel needs, like they did with me, it has a lovely family atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Often I’m suspicious of some TripAdvisor members’ ratings and reviews, especially when I notice that they joined TripAdvisor the same day as posting an extraordinary review and that they haven’t posted anything else since.

So I’m here to tell you that no one at Sawasdee Guesthouse knows I’m writing this and no one asked me to write anything; everything is 100% my own opinion. I’ve been a TripAdvisor member for years and I always try to be as honest as possible.

After an unpleasant night at another guesthouse, I walked around to find a place to move to and luckily found Sawasdee Chiang Mai Guesthouse inside the old city. I immediately booked a room for a very extended stay and now, after my first ten days, I decided to write this review.

The biggest problem is that most people will not believe the glowing reviews posted here because the prices are so low. But if you’re fortunate enough to be able to book a room, do so without hesitation.

No hotel or guesthouse is perfect, however. For example, my room – which I chose because it’s quieter than the front rooms facing the street and the side of a very big school – is somewhat dark even during the daytime hours and there’s no view whatsoever; I usually walk downstairs just to see if it’s raining outside. Also I happen to prefer the area of Chiang Mai that’s closer to the Night Market, the river and more restaurants. But on balance, these two issues are so minor that you’ll see why I happily give Sawasdee five stars.

Here are the positives:
1. Sam and Mo, the owner and his niece, care so much about their new establishment. There’s absolutely nothing they or their terrific staff won’t do to make your stay as perfect as possible. They are very proud of their guesthouse and it’s apparent in every detail.
2. All rooms are laid out more like suites than rooms; there’s a bedroom area and another completely separate area with a desk, lamp, mirror, refrigerator, dishes, forks, cups, glasses and two chairs and a small table. This arrangement is perfect for more than one person.
3. The beds rival those in five-star hotels such as Westin or Four Seasons (Sam did a lot of research before setting up his guesthouse).
4. Unique hand-painted murals above the beds
5. All rooms are non-smoking.
6. Free wi-fi throughout
7. Daily bottled water included
8. Electricity included in monthly rate
9. Strong air conditioning (very important for me)
10. Absolutely immaculate everywhere
11. Beautifully, eclectically designed property (see my photos)
12. Free morning coffee, tea, cocoa, fruit, bread; small extra charge for a complete Western breakfast
13. Free coffee, tea, cocoa and fruit available all day in the restaurant for guests
14. Soap and shampoo included
15. After hours security guard at the front gate all night
16. Close to the Sunday Walking Street
17. Very honest and efficient staff
18. Excellent communication skills
19. Sam and Mo are very knowledgeable about Chiang Mai and Thailand and will help with anything and everything
20. Sam, Mo and the staff respect the guests’ privacy
21. Everything is new because the guesthouse was completed less than a year ago.
22. Great hot shower and bathroom lighting
23. I saved the best for last: Free bicycles for all guests!

Although the location is not my number one choice, I’ve found myself using the bicycle daily to get around this very manageable city and the side benefit has been some good exercise for one almost 60 year old man. Others will probably find the location perfect, however, because it’s right inside the old city and close to many historic sites and temples.

If you want to stay at a Westin or a Hilton, then a guesthouse is not for you. But if you want to really experience Thailand by staying in a lovely guesthouse with great people at an unbelievably low daily rate, make Sawasdee Chiang Mai Guesthouse your number one choice.

Please don’t hesitate to send a message to me through TripAdvisor should you have any questions.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

My wife and myself stayed here for a week and can highly recommend this guesthouse.
The rooms and bathrooms are spotless. The beds are comfortable.The air-con is cold and the hot water hot. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Sam ,Tangmo and his staff worked so hard to make our stay perfect. The contiental breakfast turned out to be a fully cooked meal!
Sam provided us a treat of durian with sticky rice for afternoon tea( after I mentioned that I liked durian.) Tangmo got my wifes handbag fixed after the zip broke. The guesthouse is well located in the old city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

everything you should be expecting from a homy environment, mint rooms, bikes rock and so does uncle Sam !

worth every penny

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Sawasdee Chiangmai House? Share your experiences!