“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Copan Ruinas, Honduras
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Guide books and Trip Adviser rave about this place but my wife and I found the food to be less than stellar. More of a tourist oriented place, prices were high for what you get and the food was not as good as we have had in orher places of less renown that are hakf the price. All in all a disapointing experience.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
“Expected more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife, who is from Bangkok, and I went there for dinner during a recent visit to Chiang Mai as it was recommended by one of our tour guides. It seems like the place caters mostly to tourists as it was filled with mostly chinese tourists and a few caucasians. We didn't see many Thais. The service was excruciatingly slow - we waited for a good ten to fifteen minutes just to get menus. The food was just OK. My wife wasn't crazy about it at all. We did experience a bit of a language barrier with the wait staff as they spoke neither english nor Thai. I don't think we'd return as we had experienced better meals elsewhere in Chiang Mai.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong
“Disappointing visit, slow service, expensive & small portion.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We visited this restaurant based on good views but was totally disappointed. It is such set up for tourists, service was slow and rude. The decoration inside was very exotic but tables are really close to each other so they can fit more tables inside. The food came in such a small portion and I can’t believe we paid that price for it. Tastes was also just average. We had so many better meals in Chiang Mai than at Huen Phen. Don’t go there if you want authentic local food.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent regional food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

All I can say is don't go at dinnertime as long as the Chinese tourist invasion is going on...they are reliving a popular Chinese film set in Chiang Mai and and are not behaving in the way that fits in thailand ...pushy, loud, etc. Go at lunchtime...it's local and delicious. Great northern food. Fair prices. We had lunch and dinner there.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nakhon pathom
“Lovely evening room ... poor expensive small dish food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Tried the evening for a meal for 3 in their lovely room ... very ornate and pleasing to sit there. However, this place is full of other asain tourists and I think that the taste of the food has been geared towards this clientele. The dishes are very small given the price you pay ... as for authenticity of said dishes very poor IMO. I ordered "Hung Le" Curry and the sauce was so so and the meat conent tough and overly fatty and also small. The "Laap Khrua", a northern style mince pork dish was totally tastless given the amount of notrthen chilli they are 'supposed' to put in it. "Nam Prik Num", "Nam Prik Ong" and the grilled chicken were good but the "Sai Ua" was not ...you can find much better Chaing Mai sausage at pretty much any local market here. Food for 3 and I left feeling hungry was 1400 Baht. I'm no expert when it comes to Thai food but I've eaten Thai food for the last 13 years in Thailand pretty much everyday and I can tell you that the dishes served at this restaurant are not all the "authentic Thai food" label that many attach to this establishment.

• Visited March 2014