“worst and most impolite service i have ever experienced....” 1 of 5 stars

Same Same Guesthouse
104 Ratchaphakinai Road, T.prashing A.Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #160 of 252 Specialty lodging in Chiang Mai
Bangkok, Thailand
“worst and most impolite service i have ever experienced....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I am usually not a person who complaints about many things but I have just experienced the most ill tempered and bad mannered service in my entire life.

I am fortunately not renting a room at this place but went for a cup of coffee and to use the wi fi, Asked them beforehand if they had free wifi and where the plugs were. Then after sitting down for 10 min and starting to upload some data I received my cup of coffee, then the female receptionist came to me to tell me that she charged 10 bht per hour for use of electricity. She certainly could have told me beforehand. So I refused and she got very angry and said that because I had only ordered a cup of coffee i had to pay this amount... Well, she should have told me beforehand that I had to order a 7 set menu , just exaggerating, to use their wi fi ...

also beforehand, i noticed that they were really annoyed with some other people, so all in all bad atmosphere and since there are so many other nice places and nice people you can find in wonderful chiang mai I would advice you to go elsewhere...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

After wondering around aimlessly trying to find some of the recommended places from my rough guide, I stopped in here for breakfast (which is really nice actually) and was told there was a room in a dorm for 100baht/night. I was thinking I'd have to pay about 400-500 so this seemed like a 'why not' and save money situation.

The dorm has 8 beds and was full of boys so was a bit messy/smelly but not the fault of the hotel. Some people I met there were staying in double or twin rooms around the 250 mark which would be much better. Our dorm was on the side of the busy road so was REALLY noisy. The shared showers are fine, a little on the roughing it side but mine was always warm. So that's the room side of it...

HOWEVER - I'd already booked my treks before I arrived so I could pay with card and just be prepared. This did not go down well (like someone said below!!) I booked a cooking course through same same but this was only because she wouldn't let me leave my bag there whilst I was on my trek otherwise!!

Also, I forgot my rain coat in the room over my trek so when I was back I asked another guest and he said he'd seen it (he was above me on the bunk bed) So I asked and it hadn't been handed it but they'd ask the cleaner and to come back the next day. Which I did, but the lady was just like no it's not here ... there were only boys in my room so I don't know why they would steal it, and she was just SO unhelpful. A couple walked in off the road enquiring about a trek and she just left me and practically ran over to them.

Very strange and bad attitude, very much agree with the last few reviews (although I didn't get bed bugs)

So really, if you want somewhere cheap for a night where you don't "need" them for anything then 100B in a dorm is great, otherwise, go elsewhere.

I met a girl and stayed with her at SK House 2 just up the road which is like the lap of luxury in comparison. Bit pricey for travelling alone but great if you can share!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I arrived at Same Same because my taxi driver pulled up there at 8am, and after travelling for 12 hours, I thought it would do for a night. I paid 200 baht for a single room (although it was actually a twin but they said it was the cheapest they had) and while I waited for it I read all the joyful comments on the walls saying how Same Same was fantastic and awesome and the best place ever.

My room was pretty basic (a bit of a hole, really) and now I know,after being in Chiang Mai a while, that it was definitely overpriced. I also shared a bathroom with a cold shower. Seemed ok and clean.

In the morning, however, I woke up with THE WORST case of bedbug bites ever. They were on every part of me that had touched the mattress - very unsightly and itchy!!!

I definitely wasn't going to stay another night and I checked out in the morning and found Chang Guesthouse at the very top of the same road. Rooms there are 100 baht for a single bed, wardrobe, dressing table, private bathroom and CABLE TV. And no bedbugs! I stayed there for two weeks and the staff were lovely.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011 via mobile

This place is family fun but in desperate need of repair and upgrade. They are friendly but only in a
Pushy way to get you to buy a tour through them downstairs. We got a better tour cheaper and were advised not to tell the management as it was known they get very angry. We had an alright stay, but this place isn't anything special at all so don't rush to get here...

• Stayed July 2011
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed at Same Same Guesthouse because it was recommended in our Lonely Planet Guide Book. It was a little bit more expensive (THB20) and not as nice as some of the other places we had seen, but they had free wi-fi and we needed to do a few things on the internet.

We got into Chiang Mai early and arrived at Same Same Guesthouse at 8:30am, we were told there was a double room after check out (10:00am) so we decided to have some breakfast while we waited and when we had finished breakfast we were allowed to sleep in an available twin room until the double was ready, so every thing was going well and the lady owner seemed really nice and friendly.

The rooms were okay with clean shared bathrooms, but no toilet roll which I guess is common in some places. We headed out to figure out what we were going to do over the few days that we had in Chiang Mai. As we were about to leave the lady owner took us through some of the tours she organises and told us her best price, as we were staying in her guesthouse.

We walked around town and shopped around to make sure we were being offered a good tour at a good price, but we found another tour company Wild Adventures which offered similar tours but they included more and were also cheaper so we booked an adventure day and a cookery course with them, both of which we thoroughly enjoyed.

When we returned back to Same Same Guesthouse in the evening after our first adventure day, we asked if we had a good time, which we did and then headed upstairs to get changed and head out to get some drinks with the people we had met on the tour. As we were about to leave, the owners husband started talking to my partner asking why we didn't book our tour through his wife. We replied honestly saying that we had found a better tour with more to offer and for a better price.

The discussion soon turned into a heated debate where we were told that we were no longer welcome at the guesthouse and we needed to leave right away (8pm). We headed upstairs to pack up our stuff knowing that we were staying in an area with multiple places to stay, most of which were much nicer than Same Same Guesthouse. As we were checking out we had to have another heated debate because although they were throwing us out of their guesthouse, they also wanted to keep the money for the nights accommodation because it was after their check out time.

We ended up getting the money we were owed and left in the pouring rain to check into Daret's House, which was much nicer with a private bathroom as well as being cheaper too, so it all turned out well in the end and gave us another fun story to share, but I would recommend staying at Same Same Guesthouse.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
chiang mai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Arrived hungry and exhausted and happy after a day of water splashing with our young son and politely asked if they were open, to which a sullen woman at a computer replied 'pad thai' only. We thought we would accept and sat down whereupon the promised wifi signal did not seem to materialise. We were told by another woman brandishing a menu that only 3 options were in fact available. We chose two- of which I was forced to forego vegetarianism to have, which turned out to be a ridiculously spicy soup. This arrived after the next door couple who had sat down after us and who were served, upon my enquiry, green curry and some other vegetable soup. I had in fact also enquired about sandwich availavbility and was told not possible, which became laughable when a great torpedo sandwich was ushered obsequiously to the father of two asian kids who also arrived after us.

As for the simple request of a bottle of water? I think the idea was to make the chilli burn
Happy songkran, same same, Hope not all thai happy new year day service is same same as you!!!! LONELY PLANET EAT YOUR PAD THAI AND DELETE THESE GUYS!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

The staff is mostly pretty helpful with whatever you need. It has a family-run vibe to it. There are usually about 4 of them around the main lobby/cafe area ready for questions or a food order.

The rooms are nice enough for the price. The bathrooms could used an upgrade, but I could work with it. The free wifi gets good speeds.

The location isn't right in the main tourist area, but within walking distance to most of the major attractions.

I haven't stayed anywhere else in chiang mai to compare, but I had no problems with same same.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Same Same Guesthouse? Share your experiences!