“Awful food!” 1 of 5 stars

0878119468
Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: The Olde Bell is a British/Australian style pub situated in the heart of Chiang Mai's entertainement district. It is a great place to meet local ex-pats and chat at the bar over a pint about Chiang Mai life. The well stocked bar includes draught Guinness and a local microbrewery brown ale as well as Chang and Tiger. There is a pool table and darts board for customers use. The extensive menu is of good quality British and Australian Pub Grub including The Great British Breakfast, Fish 'n Chips, Steak 'n Kidney Pie, Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Parmigiana. A warm welcome awaits you!
Limerick, Ireland
“Awful food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

After a few months of traveling my friend and I were delighted to come across this pub promising a Sunday Roast. We both ordered the roast chicken. When it arrived our initial reaction was that the portions were disappointingly small. However, that proved to be the least of our worries. The food was overcooked and seemed to have been reheated, I would guess, a number of times. We began to eat but when my friend bit into her chicken she discovered that while the inside was white i.e. cooked, it was also frozen! We got the attention of one of the waiting staff and my friend proceeded to explain that her food was warm on the outside but frozen on the inside. The waitress stuck her finger into the chicken and confirmed that it was indeed frozen. My friend requested another dinner to be brought out. A few moments later the waitress returned with the same dinner (the one that she had stuck her own finger into) and placed it once again in front of my friend. We then had to explain that this wasn't acceptable for reasons that we assumed to be obvious. For a finish my friend had to return the 'meal' and went without food. I, on the other hand went on to take some mouthfuls of rubbery chicken and stale yorkshire pudding. Not impressed!

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great food but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

So the good...

Great food
Pub is properly decked out with lots of stuff from uk.
Live football on th tv

The bad...
Pub was holding a Thai visa party. So western men with Thai women. I know this happens all over se Asia but it took the atmosphere down a lot. Yes it was upstairs but still...

Would still recommend this place- maybe check if they're holding any parties beforehand!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phuket, Thailand
“Truly international”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

In terms of food, this pub has it all. My wife enjoyed the Chicken tikka masala (which just quietly, I scoffed a few delicious mouthfuls) and I had German Sausage platter. Both of which were as good as you would get in their home country. We have both been looking for Roti bread too, and they have it!
Beer on offer could be broader with more British beers but having said that I am sure it's not easy to get a good selection in Thailand. They have Coopers (one of the better major Aussie brewers) which is good to see.
Footy on the TV, wood panel walls (albeit cheesy looking stuff) and a bunch of ex pats and travellers having a drink make for a good atmosphere.
Not what I travelled to Thailand for, but an absolute delight to find.
Recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chiang Mai
“Charming theme pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Bell is the place to go if you want a wonderful western meal, cold drinks, including Guinness, and a lovely ambience. However it is a place for an occasional treat as the prices are targetting tourists with money to burn.

Visited July 2012
Chiangmai
“thanks but no thanks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This pub is as tacky as they come. It may be that you can enjoy a beer there, I would not know but recommend any visitor to not order a glass of wine. The general ambiance is rather non descript, not a pub not a restaurant not particularly well kept. The staff, although polite are not out to please and the food will satisfy only those without culinary demands. A place where some people may choose to hang out but not a place I would choose to visit again. All in all not a good evenings outing, certainly best forgotten.

Visited September 2012