“more than adequate but perhaps expected a little too much ?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pak Chiang Mai

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pak Chiang Mai
You added Pak Chiang Mai to your Saves list
39/5 Phra Pok Klao 2 Road | Phra Singha, Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #5 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“more than adequate but perhaps expected a little too much ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

Let me say from the outset that I realise that Pak Chiang Mai represents very good value for money. This is not by any means a bad review, in fact 3 stars does equate to 'average' for Tripadvisor, and I'd probably give it 3.5 if that facility was available.

Certainly the airport pick up and check in was quick and easy. We did not see much of the famous Noon, in fact did not really realise who she was and were mostly served by the young men there, both good. The building is quaint and the location good - too far to walk to the night market but close to other attractions such as the walking market etc...

Our room was spacious and well equipped and internet/computer services are better than many 5 star hotels. The food in the little restaurant was very good, particularly the breakfasts.

The bathroom is a little tired and certainly not as nice as the website portrays and hot water is almost non-existent although I know that is not unusual for Thailand, and indeed much of Asia.

I guess our main problem was the noise - we were in the front room and the traffic noise from the street was pretty bad. They did mention this was unusual and only due to the holiday period but it was very difficult to sleep. Also there is a street light that shines directly into the room all night which didnt help.

Also be warned that this really is a CASH business. When we tried to pay our ( rather large bill due to a 4 nights stay for 4 people) we were told our rate would have to go up 18% (!!) to cover it. The problem was easily solved by a quick trip down to the 7/11 ATM for baht but we did think that it was a strange policy and certainly a much higher penalty than we had ever experienced before.

All up a comfortable and adequate guest house but not one we would want to spend an extended period in.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I realize the title of the review seems a bit hyperbolic, but it's well-deserved. The level of service that the staff provides is just incredible, and I've never met such friendly, welcoming people at any other hotel or B&B in the world.

The design of the place is just made for relaxing: lots of beautiful plants and flowers, nice koi pond, lots of comfy seating and lounging areas, and very tranquil, cozy rooms. I had a massage in the garden area during the 2nd day of my stay and it was a transcendent experience.

The rooms are spotless, the beds are super-comfortable, and there is no detail overlooked. The handmade shower products in the bathroom are an extra-special touch that I particularly liked, and I really liked the aesthetics of the concrete and pebble shower. We had tea in our room most every night, and they even hung up some clothes that I had laid out on the patio to dry!

The food is absolutely phenomenal, and may very well be some of the best we had on our entire trip. The breakfast was absolutely amazing, and every morning there was some new unexpected treat, like sticky rice cooked in banana leaf or yummy little gel custard, not to mention the phenomenal fruit for which Thailand is well-known.

Last, but certainly not least, is the staff. Noon and Cross are just amazing. They were always friendly and eager to help with anything. Cross in particular came to our rescue when Bangkok Airways hung up on me when I attempted to speak Thai when checking in. He called them for us and got us checked in, and if it weren't for him, we would have been in danger of missing our flight to Siem Reap. Also, when we were leaving to catch an early flight, Noon came out (in her pajamas, no less) to see us off. She even offered us some food to take with us so that we wouldn't be hungry for our flight. They are some of the nicest people we met in Thailand, and I'll never forget their kindness and hospitality.

In short, I would say that anyone going to Chiang Mai absolutely needs to stay here. If I'm ever lucky enough to return to Chiang Mai, there is no doubt that I will be staying here!

Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I chose to stay at Pak Chiang Mai because of all the great comments in Tripadvisor. Pak Chiang Mai is very cozy. I like its small but lovely garden.
My boyfriend and I were surprised for the fact that breakfasts were served all day and the staff was kind enough to cook something out of its normal menu for my boyfriend. Service during breakfast was a bit slow but forgivable.
The standard room we stayed in was very clean and comfy. The bed linens were like those of 5-star hotel. We think the pillows were bit too high for us though. Lovely turndown with tea set.
The Thai massage at their veranda was good and inexpensive.
The location is good as the Saturday walking street is just across the road. Overall a nice little place to stay when you're in Chiang Mai.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We liked it here for our week in Chiang Mai. Friendly staff and clean and comfortable.
Highly recommend for those wanting a change from the chains.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We started our honeymoon in Thailand at Pak Chiang Mai. Even after reading wonderful reviews, we were surprised at the quality, value, and charm of this wonderful place! We have been in Thailand for 2.5 weeks and stayed at five hotels. Pak Chiang Mai was our favorite and we definitely got the most for our money there.
The restaurant was also a happy surprise. The curry dishes are wonderful, as are the breakfasts.
We were greeted upon arrival with a welcome drink of wonderful ginger tea, and it kept getting better after that! The staff was so warm and helpful in arranging our transportation and assisting with our day trips. The room was as clean as can be, and very charming and comfortable. No need to look any further for your Chiang Mai visit!
Also, they have free wireless internet.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Here is the straight dope: If you are lucky enough to find out about Pak Chaing Mai and you don't stay there, you are an idiot.

There. Blunt.

Words cannot describe the charm and kindness of the staff.

The location is excellent, the prices very reasonable to a room that puts Canadian five stars to shame and I cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience has been.

Hilversum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at Pak Chiang Mai. I'd highly recommend this B&B. The service was friendly and helpful. Noon and her nephew picked us up at the airport and shuttled us to their B&B, which is in the old part of town. The rooms are nice. I'd recommend to request a room in the back/off the road. The road the B&B isn't busy but the mopeds are loud so can be a bit disturbing.

The beds are comfortable. The organic breakfast was included and excellent. Lunch and dinner options are also good options at good prices. They have computers to get onto the internet and wifi in the rooms.

The B&B was close by the Sunday market and the Wats. The staff all spoke excellent english and were able to suggest activities around town. They offered Thai massage in their peaceful common space. Be careful, if you ask for a hard massage...the sweet old lady may turn your foot bones into powder.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pak Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!