“Excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Me and my girlfriend loved it here. Yea the owner did seem a bit miserable walking round with a face like a slapped bum, but the food was top notch. Didn't get excellent as little bit pricey as far as thailand goes but we thought it was very nice.

• Visited February 2013

• Turkish first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“No way to run a restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Given the publicity, we decided to try out "The Olive Tree" (just south of the Thapae Gate) for lunch. This is the new venture from the owner of Jerusalem Falafel, which is now closed.

The place has been quite nicely fitted out in a faux "Middle Eastern" style, with well spaced tables, proper napkins and a nicely designed menu. Prices I thought "full" and unusually for a place like this, a 10% Service Charge was not included in the menu price, a scam I personally dislike. Whether deliberately or by omission, we were not charged this and I would have asked "what service?"

The owner was very keen to push the "Moroccan Fish" and "Spinach Soup", but I was keen to try the "Lamb Tagine" stated to be one of their specialities. "We don't have that," came the reply. "We may have it next week". They had been closed the previous two days, so surely had not sold out. On further enquiry, an awful lot seemed to be "off", so in desperation, we both opted for the fish. This came so quickly, it was either warming in the oven or was fresh from the microwave. It came with a modest portion of yellow rice with a few lentils scattered in it; the menu stated that all mains came with two side dishes, so I assume the lentils counted as a second side dish......?? (Half way through the meal we were offered bread, but as this would probably have been charged for, we declined.)

The fish (Tilapia) had not been filleted and was full of bones. Given that the fish was presented in a dish with no plate, removing the bones was a tricky business. The fish was flavourless and was swimming in a thin, watery sauce, with an unidentified bit of soggy greenery (Spinach? Mint?) in it and one small piece of soggy pepper) all that for B250 plus service. A diner on another table came to look at our fish, but was clearly not impressed - we did not recommend it to them - and left after their salad starter.

Service was pretty much non existent - the owners and the kitchen staff were too busy eating on a nearby table - and our dishes were not cleared by the time we left. Needless to say, we will not be returning and I could not recommend as a "Dining Out" destination. For Middle Eastern food, the Sheikh Istana hotel is much to be preferred.

This place will doubtless get by on tourist traffic, but local ex-pats should probably avoid.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“I want to like this place...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I really want to like this place but... Have been there a few times, but the owner put me off. Also my husband got sick from the foodthe last time, so have never gone back. I love Middle Eastern food, but don't think will be going back here. The owner seems to have "on" and "off" days. When she's "on" now worries, but when she's "off" what out, it's like she's on a war path and pity you if you say something that sets her off.

Visited February 2012
“Very delicious middle-eastern cuisine -- inconsistent service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We tried the place out for a change from the spicy, local foods that can play games with my stomach. The salad with Halloumi cheese was huge and very tasty. I've never had that cheese before and I was blown away with the taste. Then the waiter set my Chicken Tajin in front of me and pulled off the lid. Where's the chicken? It was a VERY small portion of food. BUT, it tasted so delicious that I was picking the little chicken bone clean. The owner was wandering around talking to other tables a bit, but kept bypassing our table. I called her over and explained how good her food was and that there was not enough of it. She removed the charge from the bill and apologized. I feel she handled everything very well, and I was satisfied.

I must also note that I went back again during my stay in CM and received a large portion of stuffed chicken that was excellent. It's well above the price range of local spots, but I wanted something different and feel it's worth the price.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Good food, but cranky owner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The decor and the food was wonderful. However, the restaurant was understaffed and the owner was unbelievably cranky. But don't let that stop you. The food is really, really good. It is a bit pricey for a town that has many meals for a $1, but the food is different, delicious, and authentic. I should also state that is is Renamed the Olive Tree and has moved a few doors down the street.