“This was a lot of fun” 4 of 5 stars

nyc
20 attraction reviews
“This was a lot of fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was a lot of fun, and fulfilled our expectations, perhaps even more so. We booked for the late afternoon-evening session. We were picked up at our hotel by their mini van, which then picked up another four people. In total, our group numbered eight. We were given a card with six "food groups" but in fact two were already "penciled" in -- making a curry and the accompanying dish. Of the remaining four -- Appetizers, Soups, Stir Fries and Deserts -- we were told we could only select two. The sense of the group quickly chose stir fry -- which included Pad Thai -- and appetizers -- which included spring rolls. At first I was miffed at this, feeling it was sort of a bait and switch. Then, as the afternoon turned to evening, I realized that there was no way they could offer instruction in all categories in four+ hours. Within each group, there were several choices that one could pick. That is, you could choose to make Spring Rolls or Papaya Salad or Glass Noodle Salad. You could pick Pad Thai, but also two or three other stir fried dishes.

First, our instructor, a young woman named Gas (as in Gas station, she pointed out), had us put together a small snack of tiny pieces of lime, fresh green chile (only took a tiny bit of this), shredded toasted coconut (again little bits), peanuts all placed in a piece of lettuce, doused with sweet oil and eaten in a single bite. That was just to break the ice, and probably give Gas some idea of how adventurous a crew we all were.

Then we were given a tour of their herb garden, and instructed on the differences between, for example, Thai ginger and ginger we are more familiar with. From there, we walked a few streets over to the open market, where Gas showed us how different ingredients come packaged and sold. Very instructive.

A word about the facility: they had three different groups going at once. Each group had its own dining area and its own set of stoves and individual woks for cooking. The facilities would never pass muster in the states, but this is Thailand and it was just fine. Don't sweat the small stuff.

To save time, a good deal of pre-prep was done for us, depending on the dishes you chose to cook. We were given clear instructions on how to us the wok stoves (turn the knob to 7 o'clock for low heat; 9 o'clock for high heat), how to hold the wok, use the chopping knife, the mortar and pestle. How many spoons of this or that, etc.

After cooking your dish, you returned to the dining table and ate it. Then we moved on to the next food group. Our group started with stir fries, moved on to appetizers, then closed with preparing our curry pastes and preparing entrée dishes. In all, an awful lot of food. Instead of accepting their ride back to the hotel, we walked.
Costs: 800 baht/person. Probably a good idea to book ahead by a couple of days if you can.

Visited March 2014

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great day of Thay Cooking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I did the cooking class at the farm. Got picked up at my hotel and we drove to the city location. Here we got some instructions and got to choose with dishes we wanted to cook. After that we went to the local market to get some supplies and got information about the local products. Then we got picked up and drove to the farm location outside the city. Beautiful!!! We walked through the garden and got explained what was growing here. Then got the time to do some cooking. Gay was our teacher and she saw everything and everybody. Instructions were good and clear. At the end of the day we had cooked 4 dishes! Jummie! And we got a cookbook, so I will try this at home as well. I had a great day!

Visited January 2014
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
“so much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We opted for the cooking school at the farm farm for a full day - which we cannot recommend enough. Even though you go to the market first, you are shown all the ingredients on the farm too. The choice of dishes each person makes is down to the individual and A (our instructor) helped us choose the right level of spiciness for our personal taste.

A was so enthusiastic and has an amazing sense of humour which had the whole group in stitches - apparently the level of spice correlates with sexiness.

Favourite dishes - the green or penang curry (as a couple we each made one) and banana fritters.

Another bit of advice is to haggle the price a bit when you book, even though it's on the leaflet at 1100 Baht we got a 100 Baht off each through our agent.

Visited March 2014
“Great times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I did the half day class, I was picked up at my hotel.
Our teacher was Indy (very good and funky teacher who created a nice atmosphere in the group.
After an introduction, we visited the garden where we were given explainations and were able to see, touch, smell and taste the herbs.
We went to a "real local market ", came back and started cooking ( 3 dishes per person).
After we all ate together and enjoyed meals.
We all received a cookbook.
They even dropped me to the airport.

I really recommend it since it was great to leave how to Cook Thaï dishes and meet people from around the world.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful full day at the farm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was our second Thailand cooking class - the first being a half day vegetarian cooking class in Bangkok. We decided to do the whole day class at the farm. The farm is truly beautiful - they give you a full tour of it & show you how all the different plans you use in the cooking class grow. I actually got incredibly sick the night before from food poisoning but because we already had the class booked, I ended up going along. My friend absolutely loved the COOKING part. I, on the other hand, had THE world's best nap on several of their hammocks. The cooking teacher felt so badly for me that she has the staff make me several freshly brewed cups of ginger tea to help settle my stomach (which really helped)! I really appreciated how caring and helpful everyone was. It may have been a very expensive nap, but I really just loved being out of the city (so glad we didn't end up taking the half-day city class). Next time, maybe I'll get to try the food!

Visited February 2014