“was a nice place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of House by the Pond

You added House by the Pond to your Saves list
House by the Pond
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230/3 Soi Sainumthip 2, Sukhumvit 22, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #249 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
italy
“was a nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

HBP was one of nicest place to stay in Bangkok. Now is getting old and not well maintained. sometime is a bit dirty and the new management thai are more concerned about making money than taking care of the building. Is a real pity because could be very beutiful and in a perfect location

Room Tip: ask to visit the room when you arrive
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We very much appreciated your critical review and has since renovated all of our room in the old part of house by the pond how ever as we do not aspire to be modern as our original building was build over 70 years ago we have kept to the old yesteryear style however if u like the modern style you are welcome to booked in to our new building please advise the reception when u make your booking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I re-locate to Bangkok every year for the winter and I have been doing it for the last 5 years. It's to get away from the cold and short days of New York. I love NYC in the summer time but the best place I've found to stay during the winter is Bangkok.

I stumbled upon House by the Pond back in 2008 through a blog post. I was looking for a residential hotel where I could stay a couple of months for a reasonable price but still right in the middle of Bangkok. House by the Pond is perfectly situated between Asok and Phrom Phong BTS on a sub soi off of Sukhumvit 22 called Sai nam tip 2. There's quite a few options for long termers on this street. I checked out a few but I immediately fell in love with House by the Pond for its roof deck. It has a nice pool, sun chairs and it's super quiet even though you're only 5 minutes away from one of the busiest streets in Bangkok. It's my sanctuary. Bring a book there at 4pm sit for a couple of hours and you'll know what I mean.

The apartments are fully furnished and are cleaned, on request, every day. Kitchen, bathroom(s), TV, Wifi, A/C; it's all there. The beds are comfortable and I have a nice view. I run my own DSL line into my apartment as this is my work and the receptionist sets it up for me in a couple of days. When I have parties on the roof, they offer up one of their staff to cook / bbq our food for a token amount.

All in all, I consider House by the Pond to be the best value for my dollars. I've been coming back here for 4 years already and I still haven't found a comparable establishment.

p.s. Hit me up if you have any other questions

Cheers
Bjorn

Room Tip: They're all equally good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed for one month in the newer building which has the swimming pool on the roof. So please note this review is only in reference for that building, as I never went into the other building, which is located right around the corner. Before you decide to check in have a look at the rooms they can offer. The first one they showed me was backed up to the street and the AC was not delivering cold air. I did not take the first offering and chose a one bedroom unit on a higher floor.

The Good : Location did not bother me as I could take a motorcycle taxi ( right in front of the bldg ) to Sukhumvit and walk to the train station in about 12 minutes. There are also Car Taxi's driving by and fairly available if you walk out and go to the nearby corner. Staff seemed helpfull where empowered. The roof pool is nice for evening swims and or nite-caps. Nice wooden floors with wood trim. My room was quiet as I was at the end of the building and had no one across or next to me. 2 TV's... one in the living area and one in the bedroom with 1 DVD player and 1 music player.

The Bad : Wi- Fi Internet here is terrible! If you have to work and or have deadlines / emails that you need to get out, do not stay here. You get dropped off every15 to 30 minutes, very slow surfing and the entire building was down for 1.5 days in one episode. When you call them daily to tell them you do not have a signal, they reset the modem and hope for the best. I-Net Service always seemed to lag the worst between Sat evenings and Sundays. I actualy got another hotel just so i could have dependable internet service. Meaning I had two rentals at the same time for the last week of my stay. For an extra 1000 thb they can hook up a land line but plan in advance as it takes 2 days to get this set up. My feeling is they should hard wire each room until they get the dependability issue resolved Apparently the staff has notified the owner of the amount of complaints they receive, and the ownership does not want to make the necesary investment to upgrade to a dependable service. In this day and age this will kill their business.

The AC is loud due to lack of maintenace and is not remote controlled. The stove does not get hot enough to boil water, stove tops are outdated and the knobs are so worn that you can not even see the settings. Lots of Ants so be carefull with any food. The hand held shower head I had in my bathroom was about 5 feet high with very low water pressure. When taking a shower you had to lean underneath ( if not hand holding the water head ) and made the process uncomfortable, and I am not that tall. The furniture is dated and uncomfortable. Sheets are dirty and changed every 7 days. Towel service is every 10 days.

SUMMARY: There are 3 serviced apartments very nearby that are newer and will offer a more comfortable stay at a lower price. I paid 23000 baht for a one bedroom for 30 days and now know that I can find untis that are cheaper while providing better accomodations. Try Belleville , Serenita or Charming Resident apartments before deciding on House by the Pond.....

Room Tip: Take a room away from the street. Try the AC and Shower pressure before choosing your unit,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We apologize for the problem that you have encountered this is due to the local service provider are replacing the cable which run from the main rd to the soi when they finished doing that it should be better
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very old repair, probably made in the '70s. Very old air conditioners without power control and temperature (broken switch) are switching on in the corridor. Very noisy. Weak water pressure in the shower. Hot water is within the first minute. Old jammed carpets and old furniture. Internet is some times very good and some times very slowly. There are many mosquitoes. From where they were taken is not clear. The windows were closed. After 20:00 at Reception not be seen anyone. There are no security, but a lot of cameras. Come in, take what you carry away. Poor sound insulation, can hear everything that happens on the floor.

• Stayed August 2012
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Yes, it's inexpensive. And yes, it's off the beaten path of Sukumvit Soi 22, well away from the massage parlors and street side bars with the typical ebb and flow of Bangkok night life. But nearly every aspect in this architecturally delightful but sadly decomposing building is desperately in need of attention. Threadbare carpets, rickety light fixtures, creaky furniture, aging beds and walls that could write volumes if they could tell stories all conspire to make HBTP a rather sad place. The staff try hard and it's no-frills comfort at its most basic, but in fairness you can do much better a couple of sois away for roughly the same price. I'd return for another visit, mostly to see if the owners pony up and give the wonderful building and grounds the attention it deserves and seems to be crying out for. With some money and attention to detail (how cleaning the leaves out of the entries every day or so?) it could be a wonderful spot.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the outdoor fluorescent lights, as the curtains are too thin to keep the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Tucked away just off Soi 22 is this little gem. Consisting of two buildings a newer modern building which i stayed in on my first trip (90sqm apartment with kitchen and lounge plus 2 huge rooms with balcony and en suite) was rather impressive. The second a older building which i stayed in a studio apartment which i found to be great, had lots of room was super clean and comfortable.

Lots of places to eat,drink and play pool...prices in the area are a little high due to all the expat /business people living nearby. If you like privacy and comfort and don't mind paying a little more, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at House by the Pond on and off for a period of two weeks. When we arrived, we were struck by the charm of this gem of a hideaway in central Bangkok. We each had a comfortable, air conditioned and well appointed suite. Room service is available and the management would call a car if needed. We felt safe due to a 24 hour guard.
The hotel is lovely with intimate gardens. We would wake up to hear the sound of birds...a little oasis in the center of the city. The decor is charming, giving a feeling of being at home. The style of furnishings is both Thai and European in combination. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our laundry was done the next day.
I definitely prefer House by the Pond to any other luxury hotel in BKK. It has the intimacy and charm that larger hotels lack, and is nestled in a quiet, but central, part of the city.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to House by the Pond? Share your experiences!