“Grossly overrated!” 3 of 5 stars

Suhkumvit Road, Bangkok, Thailand
Improve this listing
Ranked #607 of 7,183 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
“Grossly overrated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've lived in Sukhumvit for two years now, very close to this restaurant. I went to there for the first time, after reading about it in Lonely Planet. We found it to be just like a standard Thai place for locals even the first time we went. There are many small Thai eateries all over, to which I have been with my Thai friends, so compared to those, this was no exception- only much more expensive. One things that struck me the first time was that the owners of this place are very indifferent- sometimes to the point of being rude. But I tried to ignore that and went there a few more times, because it is at a walking distance to my apartment. But every time, they were quite rude......
After the order is placed, the food takes quite a while to come to your table, and if you are taking out food, then the wait is like eternity. It takes forever. And if by chance you happen to inquire as to what happened, you'd be glared at so blatantly, that you will just shut up.

Over the year the food prices have shot up like crazy here. One crab curry (small portion) is about 350 baht! One plate pad thai is about 150 baht. One particular day, it was a bit crowded at dinner time and after paying for a take out order, I sat there for about 25 min with no sign of my order....and the waitresses would not even look in my direction. So I started walking towards the kitchen to inquire, when one of the waitresses stopped me in the path and screamed at me. I felt shocked and humiliated. I turned around immediately and walked out of there without the food and without taking my money back.

Food is fed with love not with arrogance. It feels like every one working at this restaurant is FORCED to work. It seems like a family run place and the youngsters, it seems, are forced to do help out in this, when they'd rather do something. Anyhow, I'm not going there again. The food is just like any other Thai food joint and one has to sit by the road in the open. But the prices are high and so are the egos!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Suda Potchana – It’s all about Authentic Thai Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Suda remains my favourite food joint in Bangkok. We have all heard the saying, too many cooks spoil the broth… here I felt like too many dishes confused the diner! It’s a long menu… and the prices are such, that we have often ordered, almost carelessly, for the hungry, greedy foodie in me wants to taste everything! Everything! Yes, the restaurant is that reasonable.

Read the full review on my blog!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“best fried noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

one of these places where I go for a quick thai lunch. fried thick thai noodles are at their best especially the spicy ones with basil.

Visited July 2013
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Situated on a side street alleyway with simply a roof and tables covered in colored plastic cloth it is quite the atmosphere with the busy hustling of food being served to the many and full tables.

Our family of eight ate twice here this past june and july while visiting bangkok.....it's as close as one can get to "street" food. Over the two visits we must have sampled all of their dishes ...all good..and both times when it was time to pay the "lady" ( suda?) that runs the place ,a senior at that,stands next to the server and gets told what was served and she gives you the bill total...a bargain and a fun place to be.

I must say the lady (suda?) has a good memory because the second time around she recognized us and made a point to acknowledge me and the family especially our two young grandchildren.

One must experience this place for good authentic Thai food when in BKK.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Rubbish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Wonder why there are no Thais eating here - except with their husbands - its because the food is rubbish and there are rats everywhere. Besides this the staff are appalling and charmless. One to avoid - its for foreigners who think they are going local.

Visited June 2013