“Relaxing atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel to your Saves list
Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
46 Thewet Soi 1, Krungkaseam Rd. | Bangkhunprom, Phranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 757 Hotels in Bangkok
Honolulu
“Relaxing atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was relaxing and worry free. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel and room had decorative personality with unique paintings on the walls that blended into the old fashion but modern feel theme of the boutique hotel. There is a shared refrigerator and book exchange on the second floor. The food was prepared fresh with healthy ingredients. The smoothies were refreshing. Mac computers were available for use. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Phranakorn Norlen a comfortable, friendly boutique guest house with good facilities, good food and LOTS of character. Impressively peaceful atmosphere nestled in the centre of manic Bangkok!

PRICE: Standard Double, £45 per night with free extras

LOCATION: Quiet Location near river with easy access to sightseeing spots but not near to train stations

STAFF: Very friendly and helpful, some english speakers

ROOM: Clean Spacious and individually decorated with murals. Free bottled water every day. Free toiletries (despensers only). No bugs.

BREAKFAST/FOOD: Decent breakfast cooked to order (included) - also free lunch/drinks with vouchers

WIFI: Free, fast, reliable wifi throughout. Two guest computers opposite reception.

CUSTOMER TYPE: For slighty budget concsious wanting something unique and 'Thai' feeling.

The only slight hiccup we had staying at PN was finding it! We came via train / boat rather than taxi and got a bit lost, so for those wondering... From the river, ignore the tourist boat (which doesn't go far enough upriver!) and get on the ferries with the orange flags for 15 baht, which you pay on the boat. Get off at pier 15 "Thewet" then head straight down the road (Thanon Kung Kasem) past the first big cross roads taking a right at the Seven Eleven (just before the foot bridge over the canal). Hotel is on the right down Soi Thewett 1 which appears to be an alley way! At time of visit, Google Maps made it look as though PN was down the turning before which is where we went wrong!

It's also worth noting that £45 may not seem that cheap compared to some of the deals available in Bangkok, but you actually get a lot of extra value at PN if you use the vouchers they give you on check-in, we used ours for several tasty lunch/dinner meals, as well as drinks and we also took advantage of the discount for a thai massage (which was as good as any we have had in Thailand and is a must try for visiters to the country). We also did our free etching workshop which was great fun and used the communal washing machine which was cheaper than a laundry service at other hotels.

The helpful attitude of Si and Fon (the main english speaking girls) also made PN feel like excellent value for money. It's not a typical marble floored high rise Bangkok hotel but that's what made it special for us and we would return in an instant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Celje, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

After a long and sleeples flight, the hotel instantly felt like a garden of eden. Yes, with daily fresh apples. It is a charming, vintage - themed place, very peaceful despite it being full of families with young kids. The staff are so friendly and courteous, and were extremely helpful with our lost luggage problem. The children play area is a nice touch helping the lil ones overcome the potential culture shock.
I personally really liked the traditional thai breakfasts; as for other food - good, perhaps a little too spiced-down for my liking. Loved the smoothies!
Significant other really liked the dedicated stroller parking area, self-service laundry and massage.

Room Tip: Rooms at front get occasional nighttime noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My first destination upon landing was to my hotel in the Old Bangkok district. This small boutique hotel hidden down a scrappy alleyway resulted in getting lost and worrying my cab driver who questioned and mocked my choice in hotels. Being my first time in Asia, this response heightened my anxiety and doubted my online purchasing decision.

However, the second I passed through the bizarre locked and gated entryway of the Phra-Nakorn (PN) hotel I was immediately engulfed in a colorful hideaway of delight, choc-full of glorious colors, painted butterflies, birdhouses, trickling streams, dense trees and vintage nicknacks everywhere I looked. The food was scrumptious and the staff endearing and happy go lucky. I wondered if I would ever leave again.

The hotel motto is to celebrate a slow life in this sanctuary from the hectic noise, smells and chaos that is Bangkok. Certainly a nice respite after a 24 hour flight. But despite my exhaustion, my exploration kicked in. I could not help but scope out the 4 story hotel, including a courtyard dining space, a sewing room, a shop filled with organic treats, and my favorite, the rooftop gardens and cafe with real live bunnies and an outstanding view of the Standing Buddha lit up in glorious gold at night with the sunsetting beyond.

I have arrived!

Room Tip: My room was over the kitchen and the staff had apologized and warned me that there would be noise, h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Can't remember the taxi cab fare, but it was pretty cheap and about a 20 minute ride. We arrived very late. The ringer is just to the left of the door on the upper side of the wall. The guest house is super cute! Free breakfast and lunch is included. Upon arrival, we received handmade soap and some refreshing drinks. Price was a bit more that the normal very cheap in Bangkok, but worth it. (3600baht per night, 2 rooms, 4 people) The rooms are clean, a few ants, bed is more comfortable than where I've stayed before. Very close to Kao Sahn Road. We took a very cheap and quick ride to Golden Mountain and also to the Grand Palace. From there we walked to Wat Pho and got a great massage (420baht) more than what I normally pay (150-300Baht) but totally worth it. But back to the guesthouse. They were VERY friendly, spoke excellent english, and were very helpful with information, maps, where to eat, transportation, etc. We had to catch an early morning bus to Kanchanaburi, they hailed cab for AND packed a lunch for us! I was so happy about that because we had to leave before their breakfast time. Their breakfast is a fixed set but very filling and yummy. They also have a washer (50baht) and dryer (10baht for 7min) with free homemade detergent for you to use. A shared fridge. I always bring earplugs with me so noise wasn't a problem. AC works fine, Wifi is strong. Def would stay here again! Thanks PN!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I went to this hotel a few years ago. It was a time never to forget. I asked my girlfriend to marry me on the rooftop, where the staf prepared us wonderfull a meal. The paintings on the walls are nice, the staf is absolutly great, it felt like i knew them for ages. The rooms where clean. You can't compare them with the western 4star hotels, but still, they are very clean in our opinion. Be sure to try the dragon fruit smoothie, it's delicious. The garden is a great place to relax after a walk. It's a little oase in the crowded Bangkok.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ft. worth, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

When you walk into this hotel, you know that you are in for a treat! My husband and I have done our fair share of traveling and 5 years after staying here we still talk about it! If we ever have a friend going to Bangkok we practically beg them to stay here. We are from America and honestly did not know what to expect with such a funny name and great price. We were blown away by this place. It was our first time to Bangkok and we were tempted to just stay at the hotel the entire trip! If you are looking for a charming, unique, once in a lifetime hotel experience this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a map to give taxi drivers because it is difficult to find if you are not familiar...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel? Share your experiences!