“a beautiful oasis in hetic bangkok” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel

You added Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel to your Saves list
Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
46 Thewet Soi 1, Krungkaseam Rd. | Bangkhunprom, Phranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand   |
Ranked #6 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
4.5 of 5 stars 1,523 Reviews
traveller
“a beautiful oasis in hetic bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

Simply the best hotel I've stayed at....a true oasis within Bangkok... This a very rare Hotel in een city where u feel like you're in a madhouse nomether where you go. And than u arrive in Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel. the peace and serentity of the place is amazing and the staff are just so wonderfull . you just don't want to leave. I think every city should have one!!Serenity in the middle of chaotic Bangkok! I would come back here.
This is a hotel u dream off on a beautiful island not in bangkok. So to find this is a real treasure.
Go and find out you're self why every body is raving about this beautiful place with it amazing staff.

• Liked — the living room and the breakfast (o my god amazing)
  • Disliked — that i had to leave
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed here from Jan 4-Jan 7 2008

I'm almost afraid to write a review for this hotel. It is secluded, which you would think impossible in a city like Bangkok. It is protected from Bangkok by residential strips, and it hides neatly between them. And even though it is secluded, everything you need is close - 7-11 is 2 mins walk, Khao San Rd is a 30b tuk tuk and 4 mins away. The CBD is 100b and 10-20mins away. Its location is pretty much perfect in my opinion. I never thought you would find a place like this, in a city like that. But that's enough on the location.

Getting there.
Difficult
We opted for hotel transfers through the hotel, and mostly due to its secluded, non-touristy location. It paid off in that regard, but waiting 1 hour at the airport until they let us get a transfer was painful - they lost our booking (I was sure I did it, I had a confirmation email too). It was a mini-nightmare that worked out OK. I do suggest using the transfer to get to the hotel, it would save heartache as it isn;t the easiest to find if you haven't the clue where it is.

The Employees.
FANTASTIC. Their attitudes were great, they had personality and didn't sound like overworked zobies you find in other asian hotels. You felt like they loved their job, and meeting new people. We were welcomed with a drink, breezy check inn (even though they didn;t know if we wanted a twin or double room, after I booked a double room). Either way, mistakes happen and I can live with the little issues when the price is so good, and the service, otherwise, flawless. Personality made up for any issues by far. Don't expect perfection, they try, always with a smile, but if something goes pear shaped, smile with them. Their english is better than most, not that it really effects the experience.

The thai massages arranged by the hote,l are cheap (300b) and good. And painful for a first timer like me.

The room.
OHHH, the room.
It was small, definitely, but exceptionally clean. No TV, just a cd player and a little lamp, painted walls (garden room, nice). Bed was a slab and was not comfortable. But, that seems to be the norm in Asia, so I beared it. The bathroom is clean, tidy and has more character than any bathroom I have been in. Nice open shower is great for couples time, and it is generally quite good. I loved the colours in ours, it was great. AC was a great addition to the room, though barely used. Balcony was nice too, small, but good, no view to remark about though, sadly, just trees and suburbia, but it felt homely.

Would I stay there again.
In two words
HELL YES.

You are nuts not to stay there. It is everything you need in Bangkok to make sure you enjoy your room, but get out there and see the city and its sights. And really, that is what it was all about. I didn;t want a room that had me glued to the TV watching ESPN (well...), I wanted to go out and see the place, and have a nice place to come back to, get clean and sleep. And it was all that plus a whole lot of character.

And hell, where else does a hotel employee walk you to the taxi, carrying a bottle of water for your trip to the airport, and wave goodbye as you drive away.

Its the small things that make this place so good, and your home away from home when you see the world.

A++. Could not have wanted nor expected more, especially for the minimal price. I recommend to anyone who isn't a spoilt little rich kid who needs TV. I think for older families it is perfect, maybe not for people with younger kids, but I'm not in the position to know there.

OH they had free (slooooooww) internet available if you needed it.

Do yourself a favour and stay here.

• Liked — It felt like HOME, in a city that was definitely not home
  • Disliked — What wasn't to like?
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

An oasis in Bangkok - a truly amazing hotel!
I cannot say enough good things about this place: Attentive and friendly staff; wonderful decor; very comfortable bed; beautiful garden (a luxury within Bangkok); excellent breakfast; the list goes on.
A must stay place for any visit to Bangkok - we will be back!

• Liked — Quirky concept
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

Nice friendly hotel with "healthy stay" concept: vegetarian breakfast, smoking is prohibided in all arteas, no TV in rooms.
Location is very convenient, between old city centre and Dusit area.
Rooms are quite small, in our room we haven't got even cupboard. Bathroom is built very original, but not very handy.
Stuff is very well-wishing. No all of them speak English fluently, but all of the do their best to help.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

Georgeous guesthouse with a great ambience from the moment you enter the twinkling courtyard and central dining/ lounge area lined with collectables in recyled timber furniture. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. My simply furnished room was adorned with colourful lotus flowers and butterflies painted walls. A small courtyard with potted plants and recycled timber table and chairs completed the relaxed atmostphere of this delightful property. Thoroughly recommend this guest house for people seeking a friendly, low key alternative to the high rise, clinical hotels.

• Liked — Gorgeous ambience
  • Disliked — Didn't appear to be many restaurants open after 8.00 pm in the area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

We arrived in Bangkok after midnight and were happy to find the driver from the hotel waiting for us. He exchanged pleasantries and led us to the car, handed us bottles of water and drove us to the hotel. Exhausted and curious, we walked through the front gate of the hotel into a place that felt nothing short of magical. Lit softly and filled with tropical plants, the courtyard is the first indication that you're supposed to take it easy at the Phranakorn Nornlen. Our room felt like the super nice guest room at a quirky but wonderfully hospitable aunt's house. From that point on we were hooked. The breakfasts were delicious, huge, and different every day. Each night I would go to bed eagerly anticipating what we would have the next day. One day, when the food of Bangkok was playing havoc on our stomachs, we ate all three meals at the Phranakorn! They serve these delicious sandwiches that are great if you don't feel like leaving the hotel. If you do, there are lots of good places to eat near the hotel. As other reviews have mentioned, getting taxis to take us back was a little bit of a bother at first. They give you cards to show the taxi drivers, but at night they can be difficult to read and the less kind drivers will just flat out refuse. I started just telling them "Thewet Soi 1" and then when they got close having them turn at the Seven-11. Granted, you need to learn the area before this tactic would work, but we were there for 9 nights so I finally got the hang of it by the end. As for the reviewer who felt the beds were uncomfortable, they were definitely firm, but I like firm beds and I found them to be rather comfortable. The air conditioner was always very cold, and we never had a problem with the room. The staff was amazing. They helped us with whatever we needed, writing destinations in Thai, calling to make reservations for us. One last thing, TAKE THE TOURS!! We took the bike tour to Ayutthaya with Nook and WOW! It was just the two of us, and it may have been the best day we had in Thailand. She was amazing, and everything was included in the price. You express interest in some food they're making on the street--she buys it for you. She bought us the best fried rice we've ever had for breakfast on the train. She even took us to get massages after the bike ride. Unfortunately it was our last day, so we couldn't do another tour. They're just now getting the tour program up and running, so it's not very heavily advertised. Ask what they have because Nook does something every day. If we had known, we would have done everything she offered. I just can't say enough about the place, and I can't wait to return with friends and family in tow.

• Liked — Everything, especially the staff
  • Disliked — that I can't live there!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
strathclyde
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

made bangkok so memorable for us family of 4 . all in one room. brill place, brill staff,made this our favourite hotel in our trip to asia.

great breakfasts which the kids missed! but thats their loss

rooms are groovy, courtyards cool and its down a quiet lane dont expect 5 star but enjoy this hotel for its welcome feel

• Liked — groovy decor
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel? Share your experiences!