“Quirky, charming, pleasant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel

Save Saved
You added Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel to your Saves list
Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
46 Thewet Soi 1, Krungkaseam Rd. | Bangkhunprom, Phranakorn, Bangkok 10210, Thailand   |
Announcement
Room rate 1,800-3,600 THB
Ranked #10 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Toronto, Canada
“Quirky, charming, pleasant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was our first hotel on our honeymoon trip to Southeast Asia. It was a wonderful place to come back to after hot and noisy excursions around Bangkok during the day. The staff was very pleasant, and greeted us with sweet tea on arrival. I liked all of the paintings on the wall. The bathroom was nice, and the hotel was clean. As a vegan/vegetarian couple, we appreciated the thought that went into preparing our food and were very pleased with our breakfasts. There are lots of quirky little touches in decoration. Even our key had a carved wooden monkey attached to it. So much better than staying at a typical hotel where all of the rooms are alike.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

1,399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

such a beautiful place . me being a traveler iv never experience such a good time anywhere else. food was AMAZING. and the staff was very nice. altho i didnt get a good sleep as i wanted to it was still not too bad ... lovely place . must come again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Salvador, BA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I spent two days in this hotel and will be very frank about the experience. The place is set near the old city Bangkok. And this is not a beautiful part of town, except if you are inside the Royal Palace or the Temples. So this hotel really feels like an oasis in the middle of all this caos. It is tucked away in a very small street that barely fits the taxi. The place is very artistic. There's niches with memorabilia, and the walls of the rooms and on the public spaces of the first floor are hand painted. In the room, which is very small, instead of curtains they have very beautiful pieces of different types of cloths sawed together - it won't stop the sun coming in, though. That being said, I now describe the problems and thoughts that I had. First of all, when I got here I came from Bali with a connecting flight in Singapore, so I was really exhausted. I was the only guest checkin-in and there were 3 girls on the front desk who spoke very poor english except for one. And they took more than 15 minutes to copy my passport, fill out whatever documents (I wasn't asked to do anything) and give me my room keys. And I had already payed for the room, so thanks God they didn't have to charge me, otherwise it would be even longer! Second: as I told before, the place is targeted towards the "feel good in an artsy place" so besides the decoration I just mentioned they also made most part of the walls with demolition wood and in the bathroom the tubes are all exposed. And there's no separation between shower or the rest of the toilet. And it is all in tile. They do not give you a proper towel to put on the floor. So when you take a shower, all the bathroom is wet, and the floor is VERY SLIPPERY and you end up wetting the room as well. I think anyone staying here should be EXTRA EXTRA careful for not falling down because of the wet floor. I can see bad accidents happening, especially with old folks, and this would basicly ruin the trip. There isn't a mirror in the bathroom. So if you are a man and do shave every morning, like I do, you will have to be going in and out of the room to look at your face in the mirror, which will just increase the wetting inside the room. So, in the end, the "ART" THAT GEARS THIS HOTEL DOESN'T SEEM VERY FUNCTIONAL. The third criticism I have about this hotel is the lack of help from the people at the front desk. They could point out to you how to get to places in a big map painted on the back wall of the front desk. They could also write the destinations in Thai, so we could give to the taxi drivers. But that's about it. They won't give you any help on taking a tour and if you want a cab, they only deal with a specfic taxi company so if they run out of cabs, they do not do anything elso to help. I felt completely left to my own resources in a country where one of them is not speaking Thai. This made me ruin one whole day of my trip because my Frommers guide and all the people I spoke to in guided museum tours said that they bought or arranged their tours by the front desk of even cheaper places than this one. The day before we wanted to go to Ayutthaya I asked at the front desk and they said that they wouldn't recommend anyone because "they do not know which one is a good company". So, I thought, they prefer that you get in in any travel agency, without any reference, and get ripped off (but then they would have no liabity) than trying to find out a good travel agency to recommend. Later on that day it rained very hard and we could not walk the streets to look for a travel agency. And when we could finally do it, they said that the bookings for the next day were already closed. The same thing happened with me about a taxi. I asked them to call one, and it was rainning so the company ther deal with ran out of cars. "Go to the street and get one yourself", that's what I was told, but not in a rude manner, of course, because they're never rude, but with a smile on their face, as it would be the most natural and ordinary thing to do (and as if I wasn't paying to have this kind of help). So in the end, why are they there for? The FOUTH and last thing I would state is the price. It might seem cheap to be in this place for USD 70 (double room with bathroom) if you consider the prices of hotels in the US or Europe. But here in Thailand this is a lot of money for virtually a room to crash, a bit of art to see and virtually no help. Just to give you a comparison, I booked only 2 days in this hotel and on my other 2 days in Bangkok I stayed in downtown, in a brand new hotel, in a room that was 4 times the size of this one, close to the metro and skytrain for just USD 15 more (being near public transport in Bangkok is essencial if you do not want to be ripped off by takis, since they hardly use the meter and will try to ask you more than double the price even for a shor trip. This gets worse when it rains). When I booked this hotel I knew it was expensive for Thai standards, but the "family" treatment I got in the e-mails I received, telling me to have a "slow life", didn't match the treatment I got at the place. I would come back.

Room Tip: Read my whole review and make up your mind
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My fiance and I recently returned from a wonderful trip to Thailand. After reading other reviews on tripadvisor we decided to stay at the Phra-Nakorn Norn-Len Hotel in Bangkok. This turned out to be one of our best decisions. This is such a wonderful place to stay and it really is one of a kind.

We arranged for a transfer to/from the hotel ahead of time through the hotel once we had reserved our room. The transfer service was flawless and eliminated any worries we may have had about getting to a hotel that was slightly off the beaten path. We easily located the driver in the airport and had a safe and easy ride to the hotel. Likewise on the way back to the airport - our driver arrived early and was polite and safe.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were immediately greeted with friendly smiles and directions to reception before we could even ask. The three women working the front desk were extremely helpful and friendly and offered us delicious tea while we reviewed the basics. One of the workers gave us a quick tour of the hotel and then showed us to our room, which was really helpful.

I absolutely loved our room. In fact, I love the way this hotel is decorated and painted. It really is one of a kind and so much better than staying in some generic chain hotel. Our room was comfortable and clean - just what we needed.

We spent quite a bit of time in the lobby where there are tables set up. We observed many people mingling in this area either to eat, read, relax, etc. We were given complementary breakfast each morning, which was delicious and filling. We also received coupons as part of a special for lunch. The menu is small, but ample and the food is delicious. We also tried their smoothies, which are highly recommended. We were warned at the front desk that due to the number of guests we may have to wait for breakfast, but we never had any issue with that.

There is a coin washer/dryer for guest use, which we were thankful to have after spending 10 days on a boat. The hotel provides complementary soap, which smells delightful and is made onsite!

We also used the free internet (3 macs for your use in a separate room) and wi-fi during our stay - all convenient. There is a gift shop where you can buy soaps and candles made onsite. There is also a massage room and you can take classes on soap-making, etc, but sadly we did not have enough time to partake in these activities.

We noticed quite a few families with small children/babies staying in the hotel, though generally the hotel was quite quiet and peaceful.

We thought all of the people working at the hotel were generally sweet and friendly and would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Bangkok. We will definitely stay again on any future trips to Bangkok!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

Excellent for me in everyday. Creativity ouses from this place. Relaxing and gentle atmosphere, such a retreat from busy Bangkok is needed.

Get transfer service from airport, recommended and good price.

Feeling of real, old Bangkok outside the gate of the safe haven of complex. A feast for the eyes for any visual person.

Design is so tasteful, reclaimed furniture, decorative hand painted patterns, sweet materials. Creative workshops and home made cosmetics make this place really special, funky and fresh. Nature is in and amoung the large communial chill out spaces that provide fast internet, massage and awesome food. Can't recommend this place enough for a rustic design lover who appreciates original aesthetics.

Staff helpful and friendly: note; like most places in thailand i found in my own experience you must approach hosts to initiate friendly conversation.

• Stayed January 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on December 2011 for 3 days and had an amazing time. Everything (from the airport pickup to the check out) was smooth and perfectly organised. The PNK entices you from the minute you walk in (gardens, vintage colorful decoration, silence only interrupted by birds). It is hard to leave and go into the city! The price-offer range is perfect. What we liked the most was the feeling that the little room where we stayed could have been a room in our own home (style, colors, light). If there's anything one should be aware of is that the rooms are quiet small and there is no storage so it can feel a bit crowded. Otherwise amazing place, amazing staff and also amazing breakfasts. Also located in a central yet quiet part of Bankgkok.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The place to stay in Bangkok if you have little kids.
We really enjoyed walking to the pier, 5 minutes away, and feeding the strange catfish like fish- iridescent sharks. This is an old area of Bangkok and as it is near the King's palace, regarded as special. So the cat fish are special too.
Riverboat takes you to skytrain, its the stop after the Oriental, about half an hour and costs about 20c.
There are tree shrews in the trees around the guest house and lots of birds.
Everyone's friendly, the food is very good (vegetarian options are great, try the sesame dressed cucumbers), rooms are good, plumbing can be a tad smelly, but not unclean, maybe a Bangkok after the floods phenomenon?
Great place, we're returning soon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel? Share your experiences!