“Great Excellent Ideal to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ascott Sathorn Bangkok

You added Ascott Sathorn Bangkok to your Saves list
Ascott Sathorn Bangkok
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   187 South Sathorn Road, Yannawa | Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand   |
Ranked #148 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
UK & India
“Great Excellent Ideal to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

This is very centrally located, MRT (train) station 5 mins walking, food & restaurants 10 mins, Direct MRT to shopping centres.

Ideal Homely Hotely atomosphere, large living room & well equipped kitchen.

Dont miss the Gymnasium tooooo goooood

Swimming pool is beautiful, it is a little small though.

would recommend to all family business traveller etc.....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

What can I say....this was the best hotel/ apartment i have ever stayed in. It has everything you need. the ascott is located in a very nice upmarket area. Soon as you enter the gates you can see this. It has very good security which check all cars and people entering the complex. It is located in the sathom area which is central to everything and if not the taxi's are very cheap so will not cost you much to get around. This place has everything you could ask for....gym, sauna, steam room, swimming pool. The gym is very impressive, it has every possible machine you can think off plus great instuctors and fresh protien shakes and juices are available there to. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are superb...very large, clean and comfortable especially good for families or large groups. The rooms were cleaned always on time and never had to complain about anything. It has a great outdoor pool and restaurent area which is located on the upper floors. The food is good a bit expensive but you expect this in a hotel. It also has a great business centre with computers, printers, fax machines etc . Would 100% recommend this place to everyone and will be visiting hre again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

With a 4.5 year old boy, a 15 month old baby, and a 74 year old grandma, our family of five opted for the Executive 2-bedroom apartment facing the south which gave us a great view of the city with no traffic noise at all. There was a “Stay 2 Nights and Receive a 3rd Night Free” promotion till end of September 2010 so on average it’s only 3,400B per night plus 5% service charge and 7% govt tax.

When we checked in on a Thursday afternoon, the lobby was very quiet and there’s only another guest complaining at the Front Desk about not being given a room on the Non-Smoking floor as requested. Checking in was a breeze, and then we were led to our room, which was not on a non-smoking floor though we requested a non-smoking room. Upon entering the room, there’s an ionizer blowing ions out to neutralize the air in the room, I guess that’s a good thing. At least the air was “fresh”.

The spacious apartment was very well appointed, at 1,323 sq ft, the 1 king-sized bed and 1 queen-sized bed can fit us all very comfortably. I also appreciate the fully equipped kitchen, and the laundry room. We actually did laundry twice over our 3 nights stay! As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel provided L’Occitane toiletries, washing detergent for the washer, and for dishes. I was just a teeny bit disappointed that the TVs were not wall-mounted flat 42” ones.

When I booked the hotel over the phone, I insisted that free daily buffet breakfast and wi-fi broadband were included, so there was no problem when we were actually there. For the wi-fi, you’ll be provided with a user ID and password upon check in to access the broadband, and you can actually choose the lower speed one for free, or a higher speed one for a price (I don’t know the price as I went for the free one). Breakfast was OK, better than expected as I had no expectation after reading all the reviews. The egg station was good, but the lady “egg chef” had a very nonchalant attitude – oh well, at least we got our omelet and scrambled egg right. The coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine was convenient, but broke down on the 3rd day and no, the restaurant wouldn’t make you hot chocolate separately, not even for the kids…

Our kids had a lot of fun in the pool – it’s not big, but it’s not crowded when we went at the end of August in 2010. We ate at the poolside restaurant (Italian) and the food was OK if not a bit overpriced. The restaurant also seemed to be a popular spot for business meetings as we saw a lot of people in business attire meeting by the poolside served by the same restaurant.

We also dined at Nanjya Monjya which boasted superb and authentic Japanese teppanyaki cuisine (Monjayaki and Okonomiyaki). The Friday night we had dinner there, the restaurant was full. We had made a booking for a non-teppanyaki table as we had young kids who might get burnt, and we did check they could make okonomiyaki for us. One thing I didn’t ask, was the Monjayaki dishes – apparently if you don’t sit at a teppanyaki table, you won’t be able to order monjayaki, which is the specialty must-try dish that you go there for. We were disappointed, but the restaurant wouldn’t make any exception. There’s a pleasant surprise at the end of the meal though – we were all served a chilled tofu pudding (with ginko, if I remember correctly) in a glass! It’s a welcomed surprise since it’s a cool break from all the heat and cooking in the restaurant. One advice though – don’t dress in your expensive clothes/suit to dine there, as the smokey smell will seep through your clothes, hair, socks, bags…

While there’s no other immediate eateries nearby the hotel, Silom Road, which is around 10-15 mins walk north, has a lot to offer, be it food or shopping. There’s a NaRaYa shop right on Silom Road! We also had a fabulous dinner at Katsushin (a Japanese tonkatsu restaurant) at extremely reasonable prices. Japanese Ramen shop beside Katsushin was great also but Mango Tree (Thai cuisine) was just so-so.

As most other reviewers mentioned – 7-Eleven was only around 3 mins walk from the hotel, and it got almost everything you can think of under one roof. Health Land is around 5 mins walk on the opposite side of the road, and the price is most reasonable although you might need to wait a bit.

Traffic on the main road (Sathorn Road) was truly bad during rush hours – it took my friend 1.5 hours to come from her office at 5pm which was only 20 minutes away at normal times. Cab experience: the hotel was thoughtful enough to provide an address card with Thai handwritten on it so you just need to show it to the driver when returning to the hotel. It took only 71B to take a cab from the hotel to Siam Square, but when we wanted to return to the hotel at around 1pm on a Saturday from Siam Square, 4 cabs turned us down (refused to use meter, and my offer at 150B, which was more than double of the actual fare!) and only the 5th one would take us at 150B. Since my husband wasn’t with us, and with baby, young boy and grandma in tow, we’d rather pay more. At the end, the traffic wasn’t that bad (took less than 20 mins max), but all cab drivers knew about the bad traffic on this road thus would take advantage of tourists going there. So as much as possible, take the BTS Sky Train (Chong Nonsi station) which is only 5-10 mins walk away.

The hotel no longer provides free shuttle to major shopping areas (another disappointment). They only have a shuttle bus which runs towards the south of the hotel where there’s a Central department store (Central Ramindra).

Overall we enjoyed our stay at The Ascott Residence Sathorn very much. Too bad we didn’t bring our gym shoes to check out their first class gym.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Three night stay recently at Ascott was not my first and won't be the last. The Staff are truly what brings me back to the property. They are friendly, helpful and always wiling to help make my stay pleasant - even fulfilling my requests for preferred room configurations of x08 or x06. Ascott has the usual facilities that help make a great stay - terrific gym (Cascade Club), relaxing and comfortable pool/lounging area, convenient mini-mart and a location that is close to ChongNosi BTS (and a new walkway helps avoid extra overpass and stair travel to the station). The roomas at Ascott are spacious and comfortable. Most packages come with breakfast and internet access, adding to the value. Televisions in the living area are equipped with CD/DVD and surround sound system. (Flat screen televisions would be a nice addition and I hope to see those in the near future). The beds are firm, a bit firm for my preference, but favorable for many others. The rain shower in most bathrooms is a great feature (a reason i like rooms ending in 08 is that both baths are equipped with walk-in showers and not a combo tub). Washer/Dryers in the units are some of the easiest to operate when compared to other service apartments. But again, i must emphasize the reason I come back is the staff....there may be newer properties nearby but people make can make a difference and the Ascott Team certainly does for me!

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We had stayed in a 3-bedroom suite, which was just lovely. The place was definitely big enough for our group of 5, with a little kitchen, a TV area and a dining area. It was elegantly furnished, as clean as can be and well equipped with whatever we could ask for. The service was fantastic. We communicated easily, and the staff did everything they could to answer all our queries.

The only setback was that the restaurant wasn't big enough for the breakfast crowd. Other than that, it was a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Stayed 4 nights at Ascott last week. Arrived at 10 plus in the morning and no doorman or bell boy came until after we unloaded our own luggage from taxi and were pushing it towards the main door. Receptionist took my reservation then disappeared into back room and reappeared 1 minute later with welcome drinks. There was only one other receptionist at the counter attending to someone else. Seems like they cut down on staff (as costs measure?) with its attendant consequences. Receptionist unable to tag my 2 consecutive bookings (1st for 3 nights package followed by the 2nd booking for the final night) and said I would have to check in again on the last day for the 2nd booking !! The room is nice and well equipped (Ascott standards). However, main room aircon was blowing hot air although set at 19 degrees - had to call maintenance to come and they had to do a major repair for more than 1 hour - shouldn't they have regular maintenance checks? Breakfast was very average (both in terms of quality and range) and the service staff (cook) was lazy to replenish her omelette bowl (beaten eggs) and told me that they are only serving fried eggs that day when clearly she had chopped ham, onions and other omeletter ingredients next to her and other tables had omelettes. Only when I insisted, she went to replenish her bowl and made me an omelette. Wireless internet for apartment is only limited to one computer - when we tried to log on with 2 computers, the 2nd one was rejected and service staff said I would have to pay if I wanted another computer to log on. Only when I said that all hotels I have stayed before - wireless means you are able to use 2 or more computers (or blackberry) at the same time that she said she would do it for me as a special case. As I was travelling in a family of 5, I paid for extra person charge for a 2 bedroom which included extra bed and breakfast. When we called housekeeping for extra body wash and shampoo, we were told that they only put one set a day and we had to pay if we wanted more. I cannot see how 1.18 fl. oz. body wash can suffice for 2 or 3 persons even for 1 shower what more if the guests want to take 2 showers a day. In the end I had to buy a bottle of body wash at the Watsons when I went out shopping. Even the hallways of the hotel rooms were very warm as if they turned the aircon to bare minimum or off. I have never come across such miserly mentality (internet, toiletries, airconditioning, staff) from a place claiming to be 5 star in my 25 plus years of travelling widely. I have stayed at other Ascotts and am really sad to see that this Ascott puts such a good reputable name to shame.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Shinjuku, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

My friend and I decided to stay at this hotel whilst protesting was going on through Bangkok. This hotel is set in the commercial area of Bangkok. It's a friendly and delightful hotel with everything you want for a city break holiday. Hotel has a lush swimming pool, spa, and wonderful restaurants which also provides your breakfast which is included in the price of either your room or apartment. The hotel also can help provide tours. Be careful on tours though as the thai taxi drivers can be rude and money grabbers. We had a very rude taxi driver and they will want you to pay extra money when ever. Be aware that the tiger temple is at least 2 hrs drive away and a ride on the elephant was not the one that the hotel showed us in the leaflet at the hotel. I do not feel that this is the hotels fault but the travel agent that they deal with. I would recommend researching tours for yourself and booking them privately. Over all the hotel is great and also provides extra qualities like take out!!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Ascott Sathorn Bangkok? Share your experiences!