“Small Friendly Hotel on Decho Road” 3 of 5 stars
Review of LUXX

You added LUXX to your Saves list
LUXX
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   6/11 Decho road | Bangruk, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Ranked #388 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Small Friendly Hotel on Decho Road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

The Luxx is a tiny modern hotel just off the busy Silom road. I stayed there for 4 nights and have the following comments.

What I liked about the Luxx:

The service was extremely friendly and helpful. My requests (see below) were always answered and acted on extremely quickly and with a smile. Help was volunteered even when I had not asked for it (eg calling me a cab to take me to the airport, lending me an umbrella on a rainy day....)

Location (off Silom Road, which is in my view, not a very pleasant road at all) was fairly useful - 5-8 mins walk to the nearest skytrain stop (Chong Nonsi) and only 30 mins by taxi to airport. Nearby were plenty of cheap local massage places (open till very late) where I went for foot massages at the end of each day.

The hotel was extremely quiet. This is not a buzzy place. There were other guests there but I never saw any of them.

Décor was modern and to my taste. Nice big comfy bed, nice widescreen tv and dvd/cd/vcd player (there was a small selection of films free to borrow in the hotel lobby).

Bathroom was a bit narrow but the wooden bath, although it looked odd, was very comfortable (I liked the warm feel of the wood) and, being deep, came in handy on the occasion I overheated so much that I needed to soak in a cold-water bath to cool down.

What I disliked:

There was not much of a view. My room was recessed from the street - Decho Road in any case is a bit dark and gloomy.

The air conditioning system was extremely loud and I had to switch it off while watching television.

The staircase/corridors looked a bit grubby (stains on carpets).

Upon my arrival, I found several things not quite right in my room: one lightbulb was broken, the safe did not function, the bath did not close – all these details were fixed promptly on request but ideally I would have liked not to have to ask for them to be fixed in the first place!

Of course as this is a small hotel the amenities are few. As already stated, no room service (apart from breakfast), no pool, no elevator.

I am unsure as to whether I would stay there again but must say it was good value for money (BHT 3,500 (GPB 40) per night for a studio room, including VAT, service charge and breakfast). However the bottom line is that Bangkok was a challenging city for me to visit and I think next time I'd rather pay more and stay somewhere with a pool and/or by the river . However if these considerations do not matter to you and you do not want to splash out on one of the big hotels by the river, then I do recommend the Luxx.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

The past 2 times I visited Bangkok I stayed at the Oriental and Peninsula. Being a hotel snob staying 100+ days a year in 5 stars all over, I was intrigued by this new boutique hotel. They have just opened and their introductory prices were dirt cheap. So I took a chance and stayed there for 3 nights this week and was very happy.

The great:

very large room around 60sqm,
very attentive service
beautiful wooden floor,
very comfortable king size bed and comforters
surround sound stereo,
plasma tv
very good and proper free breakfast
very very cheap for the quality of hotel,
and above all free high speed WIFI.

The good:

Very convenient location right next to silom road,
Very cheap mini bar prices,
Rainforest shower

The not so good:

No elevator. I didn’t mind as I’m still young. But the best room being on the fourth floor requires a little workout. However, the staff was kind and carried the bags both and up and down the stairs.
No 24 hour room service. This is a small boutique hotel with only 13 rooms…I can live without 24 hour room service as there are tons of great restaurants around town very close to the hotel.
No gym. I don’t mind this as I prefer getting the 1 hour foot and shoulder massage right next to the hotel for less than $10! But if you are a serious athlete not having a gym might put you off.
No pool. This is the only thing that slightly bothered me. As its always nice to catch some rays when you have a little spare time. However, I was on my way to phuket, so I did not mind not having a pool as I’m now getting more than enough sun now ;)

I have now decided that I will stay there again next week when on my way back from phuket for 2 more nights. I’d rather stay in a really nice suite, free breakfast, free wifi, with great service for less than $100 a night, than pay around double for a normal room at one of the leading big hotels in bkk. If you don’t mind taking the stairs between the 1st and 4th floor, and not having a pool, this place is for you!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to LUXX? Share your experiences!