“Very positive improvements recognized - after 2nd Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Bangkok

and 1 more site!
You added Ocean Bangkok to your Saves list
Ocean Bangkok
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Sukhumvit Soi 33 | Khlongtan Nuea, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand (Formerly Livingstone's Lodge)   |
Ranked #324 of 766 Hotels in Bangkok
4.0 of 5 stars 128 Reviews
Kiel, Germany
“Very positive improvements recognized - after 2nd Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

During my business trip to Australia I had a short stop of 2 nights in Thailand which I repeatedly spent at Livingstone's Lodge in Bangkok.

Compared to my last stay, which I spent with my girlfriend and for holiday, I was able to recognized many different positive improvements around the hotel.

After checking in, the first thing I noticed was the blue shining swimming-pool. Looked like a complete renovation of the pool which turned the color of the pool from green back to a shiny blue.

I did not book a room in advance because I felt it was not necessary but when I walked in, I realized that I have been very lucky that there was still a room available. Looked like the hotel is more busy than before so I would recommend to book early.

I again had a Superior Room which I was very surprised about when I walked in. The room was equipped with a new LED flat screen, a DVD player which includes a docking station for ipod/iPhone. Same as last time the room/bathroom was very clean and it smelled freshly.

Since I really enjoyed the food at my last stay, I had dinner at the Hotel Thai restaurant. Even here I again was able to realized improvements compared to my last stay. The service was even more attentive and the food was very, very good.

The management realized me and welcomed be back, which I was very surprised about. Again the management was very helpful with giving some advice for site seeing and night life activities in Bangkok, too bad I only had two short nights.

All in all I am happy that I chose Livingstone's Lodge again because I think that the management did some major work and improvements around the hotel.

I again can really recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: *Deluxe Rooms were very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am right now on a business trip in South-East Asia, staying at Livingstone's Lodge in Bangkok. My business partner recommended this hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 33. I am sitting here at the customer workstation close to the swimming pool writing this review.

Livingstone's is a small boutique hotel, very good location in the upper Sukhumvit area close to the Emporium shopping center and the BTS Skytrain station. Very convenient, lots of restaurants around, many English/Irish pubs close by. Even the Villa market, of Western products are needed, close by.

Livingstone's is quite different from all hotels I have traveled to here in SE Asia. It's not one of the high rises - it only has the ground floor with restaurants and hotel bar and the first level with 18 hotel rooms. On the property a lot of space and a huge swimming pool. Fantastic!

It's the 3rd time I stay here, and things have become even better. The pool was renovated, clearly visible. I stay in a Executive Double Room, and since my last stay in August 2012 the room was renovated and upgraded with a flat screen TV and DVD player. The rooms are very clean, and internet is available everywhere, in the room, at the bar, around the pool - everywhere.

There is no breakfast buffet - breakfast is prepared to the customers order, individually. The choices are then limited, but the quality is excellent, the food is cooked freshly for each customer - I like it.

Staff friendly, service very good - and if you stay here don't miss to talk to the owner. Besides that he can help you with Bangkok site seeing information and arrangements you can discuss politics, economics and the world stock markets with him ... very interesting!

This hotel is highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room 118 is huge, and has a balcony towards the swimming pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Taichung, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've stayed at Livingstone Lodge several times over the last three years, and it was always a very 'home' sort of feeling. The staff is always friendly, and remembers me from my previous visits.

My biggest pluses for the hotel is that the rooms are clean, the place is quiet, the location is very convenient, the beds are very comfortable, and I always feel at ease.

The restaurant's Thai menu is superb, and I always enjoy eating at the restaurant. The breakfast is made to order (not buffet), and they are very flexible at breakfast times, which is fantastic if you're prone to sleeping late.

I'm pleased to see, that on my last visit, that they've been taking great steps forward to upgrading the hotel with new TVs, and electronic accessories in the rooms...

It's not a five star hotel, and it doesn't attempt to be... It's one of the most comfortable hotels that I've stayed, though.

Room Tip: Some rooms have different things: Jacuzzi tubs, etc. so book accordingly.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My first night the AC in my room wasn't working which made it a very long night after an already very long flight. The next day I ended up switching rooms and things were fine. All the staff was very kind and courteous. The rooms were basic but clean. I don't think I would have gotten in the pool though. The hotel didn't seem very busy either. The food was excellent and the location was good as well. I do think at $60 /night it was a bit expensive. They could definitely stand to buy some new towels. Every towel I had looked like it was so old it was falling apart.

My largest complaint was when checking out their credit card machine was not working. I stood around for over 30 minutes while they attempted to fix it. I spent about $20 on a cell phone call to my bank to ensure it wasn't on my end. In the end, after requesting to be paid in cash, they ended up making a carbon copy of my credit card. I was already running late for my flight to Northern Thailand and nearly missed it due to the credit card fiasco.

All in all my experience with Livingstones Lodge was not horrible but I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hermann T, Owner at Ocean Bangkok, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear twowholeweeks,

Thank you very much for your review – some important issues mentioned there.

First the towels – we just bought a complete set of new linen and towels for all rooms of the hotel – this was finalizing our major renovation and investment activities of the 4th quarter of 2012. Though our towels were not “falling apart” we needed new ones, and the problem is fixed now.

It happens from time to time that an AC stops working in a room, or does not cool down sufficiently. If we are not completely booked (as you mentioned, too) we usually pick another room for the customer, if possible upgrade the customer to a higher room category to compensate him for the inconvenience. We obviously got the information about the problem with the AC too late.

We appreciate you liking our food, service and location. As hotel located in the center of Bangkok, with a lot of space and ambiance for our customers, an Oasis in the Heart of Bangkok, we sadly cannot offer lower prices than we already do. It does not surprise us much that customers who try to book our rooms for the cheapest prices on certain websites still complain about us being too expensive. This discount policy is backfiring with reviews like this – and this policy will not be continued. Most likely the room rates will rather be rising than falling in the future. I definitely don’t want a discussion any more whether US 60.00 for a quality hotel room in the city center is too expensive – it is definitely not! It's too cheap.

You mention the pool – it is newly renovated, and we published a picture already in the picture section of TripAdvisor. I can guarantee, that the water is clean and meets western quality demands, we check the chemicals / consistency every week. The pool looks fantastic right now – so what was wrong in your opinion?

Finally – the credit card machine. Those machines are installed and maintained by the local banks – and if problems occur only the maintenance of the banks can fix it. If there is a problem with the CC machine we usually work with the paper slip and a phone call to your bank to get an authorization code. This does not last longer than a few minutes. In your case we are not sure what caused the problem, because even after your $20 cell phone call to your bank we did not receive an authorization code (we called, too). Outcome: until today we did not receive the money from your paper credit card slip. Somehow strange. But – we are still hoping to receiving the money – one day …

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Although I've visited Bangkok several times in the past, this was the first time I stayed at Livingstone's Lodge. As I was going to be in Bangkok for an extended period of time, I was somewhat trepiditious as I certainly did not want to have to change hotels, it being high season. I needn't have worried.

The staff is attentive and warm, the rooms are clean, the food is good with a large variety on offer and wifi works everywhere within the property. The location is excellent with easy access to the Skytrain. The bustle of Bangkok feels far away when you're relaxing by the poolside. Best of all, the owner takes a personal interest in all his clients and their well-being.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hermann T, Owner at Ocean Bangkok, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Batholith,

Thanks you very much for taking the time to write this review. We know how busy you are in your research business …

A short review, on the spot. We were obviously lucky, and you did not experience any glitches as they sometimes happens, of course. Not much to comment on for me right now, except that you mention that the owner takes a personal interest in all his clients and their well-being.

Thank you for that – this is how it should be anyway. But this target – to take personal interest in ALL clients – is difficult to archive. I try to sit down with as many customers as possible, to give them advice what to do in Bangkok and around, to discuss cultural, economic and political issues of Thailand – I like to do that, the customers feedback and know-how is interesting for me, too.

We arrange tours for our customers (Kanchanaburi, River Kwai, Tiger Temple, Floating Markets, Ayutthaya etc. etc. ), and I give advice about touristic targets in Thailand and South East Asia in general that I have travelled to already. We work together with several travel agencies to book flights and accommodation for our customers.

It is one of the targets of our Boutique Hotel to bring customers together (if they like to), that they can join groups to visit the touristic attractions of Bangkok during daytime, go out for lunch / dinner or experience the night life together. From time to time I even participate in those groups, showing customers around, sometimes I organize a Bangkok Late Night Tour. We then usually return to the hotel at around 6 am in the morning. Nothing too sleazy – we are just drifting through the nightly streets and late night spots all night long.

Coming back to your review – yes, I take interest in my customers and their well-being, and try to help them to enjoy their stay in our hotel.

Thanks for your review, much appreciated. And – come back soon!

Leidschendam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We returned to Livingstones after a few years away from BKK. It was as usual a most pleasant stay. My gal wants to add that her first trip to Thai was made more special because of Livingstones. The staff are very helpful and friendly like you are at home. The rooms are clean and nice. Breakfast is made to order and very tasty. In the evening you can enjoy great billiards and the ladies are fine and drinks are not expensive so you feel at home. The boss will organize all excursions and give give good advice about the town and surroundings HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 7 is the room i always request
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hermann T, Owner at Ocean Bangkok, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Olga R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review – we know how busy you are. Much appreciated !

Don’t really know what to reply to your review, much too positive! Of course - we really try our best.

Sad, that both of you could not make it for Christmas this year – you would enjoy our renovated swimming pool a lot! And – sitting around the pool with a glass if red wine, discussing the problems of the world … ok, ok, next year!

Thanks again for posting this review! Looking forward to seeing you back at Livingstone's Lodge asap.

All the best for the New Year 2013!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I have been coming here for years and have seen many changes on this trip which will be enlightening for guests coming here now and into the future.
I don't like writing reviews, but this time it was well earned by the staff and management.
FIrstly, the fantastic menu has been overhauled, retaining the strong aspects of the existing menu, which is very important to me as it is what I love first and foremost, however it has now been revamped to incorporate the traditional. It stretches the culinary impact by embracing what it should always do...existing classics that remind us of home but with an original twist that tells us we are in Bangkok, staying at Livingstones.
Secondly, there is new staff that seem to lift the warmth of this boutique lodgel that makes you feel like you have come home. Only after every whim is catered for will you be left in the peace and serenity that is the restaurant encassed uniquely large outdoor pool area that is just heaven at dusk.
Thirdly, there are new rooms that are being renovated, new amenities installed and existing highlights revamped to enhance its overt use of classic old country style entwined with modern creature comforts that one would traditionally encounter for three times the price with half as much heart.

Comming back soon.
WD from Australia.

• Stayed November 2012
Hermann T, Owner at Ocean Bangkok, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear WD_Oz,

Thank you very much for posting this review.

You stayed here many times, and you mentioned the changes of the last year. You are right:

1) Menu

We changed the menu, simplified it, added some pasta dishes, removed some other dishes that did not meet much customer interest. We still offer a great variety of Thai and International food in our restaurant around the pool.

2) New Staff

We don’t have a high staff fluctuation, but of course there is new staff from time to time. We are happy that you appreciated their service.

3) Renovation 2012

Correct, we renovated the rooms, hallways and the swimming pool in August/September/October 2012 – a major activity. Additionally all Deluxe and Executive Rooms are now equipped with LED flat-screen TV’s and HDMI DVD players with iPhone docking station.

We are really happy that the feedback of the customers is positive. The occupancy rate is significantly up, compared to 2011!

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review! Looking forward to seeing you back at Livingstone's Lodge soon.

All the best for the New Year 2013 !

Hermann (Owner)

Been to Ocean Bangkok? Share your experiences!