“OK but nothing to write home about.” 3 of 5 stars

Drop Inn Bangkok
392/28-31 Sukhumvit Soi 20, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #107 of 449 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“OK but nothing to write home about.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I was travellinhg from Beijing to BKK and couldn't find anything better online. I was looking for somewhere decent but definitely not expensive. It's not that the budget is tight. I really don't like paying 1st world prices for 3rd world accommodation

I know it's not The Drop Inn's problem but it's really not well known. I landed at Suvarnabhumi after 7pm and got the Skytrain into the city and got the taxi from Makassan. The driver passed it on the left and drove on down the road, turned 360 at the end and back up. Stopped to ask a security (actually my little honey did the asking) guard who said "no drop in here". I had to insist on him driving on up the road and spotted the sign on the left. It's directly opposite the sports bar down a lane.

I was expecting the wall of chill when I entered the lobby but they don't have the AC on in the lobby area. They hadn't got the booking details from Agoda when I got there so check in was somewhat delayed. The staff were very good, I know I can be a difficult customer and I feel they handled me well. They had room so there really wasn't a problem and we got up to our room on the front of the building. The room was clean and comfortable. the double bed was in fact 2 singles put together so when I cuddled in behind her I was lying on the divide and somewhat uncomfortable.

Breakfast was "included" but I went down on my own (for the second time in 12 hours) to the dining area off the lobby. Again no AC but the brekkie was ok. The bacon was all streaky, the eggs were all sunny side up and raw on the top side (no problem flipping them on the pan) and the sausages looked raw and pasty but tasted pretty good. All you can eat cereal and toast and coffee and whatever fry up you want.

The location is quiet and still convenient. I found the sports bar at the top of the lane and was able to watch Green Bay play San Diego in a real thriller (Nov 2011) and the action in BKK is a couple of Skytrain stops to the east at Nana.

I had booked it because I couldn't find anything betterbut I was staying in Thailand for 3 weeks. I asked them for a price for another week and the said to get back onto Agoda. No authority to negotiate there and then. Their loss. I'm in the Grand Inn BKK now. See my report after the weekend.

So the place is OK but not really great value, but then their job is to get as much as they can out of us and our job is the get the best value we can.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Good price for the location near BTS. It's simply, clean and very comfortable. We got softly service from lovely staffs as we're at home. The breakfast's delicious and fresh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I like this hotel because it is in a convenient location for shopping and it is cute. They give decent breakfast also for the price. The only thing I found out is that the wall is very thin. I have stayed here many times, but haven't noticed this since the last stay. You can hear the voice from next room easily. This hotel is good if you need a stay for a short period of time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Aprilia (LT)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I returned at Drop Inn Hotel after one year with my girlfriend. I found the same friendly kindness of the staff and the owner. The hotel looks still nice and clean, simple but very well located at a walking distance from Sukhumvit Road and Skytrain station. Still a good place to stay and good value for money

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We are using Drop Inn, as a Bangkok base during our month in Thailand. It is clean and quiet and very near the Sky Train and Emporium Mall where every need can be met.

I must say that Drop Inn is no frills, but it is comfortable and clean and serves an adequate breakfast. It is in a little alley street so the noise of frantic Bangkok traffic is not an issue. 3 of us and our baggage made here from the airport for 500 Baht about 14 or 15 US$. We could probably find a fancier place for the money but Drop Inn is run and owned by a group of Thai women and that is an exceptionally good thing

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I don't understand why there are so many positive reviews for this hotel. I've stayed in half a dozen hotels in the area and decided to give this one a try after I read some reviews. At 1700THB/night this has to be the worst value in BKK. There are 25 places within 10 minute walking distance that outclass this dump 10:1. The lobby looks nice, but the rooms are very basic and the bathroom is a dump, especially the midget shower. This is really a backpacker type guesthouse and therefore should be charging backpacker prices (900THB max). My real gripe was after paying up front cash for 10 nights, they did not want to give me my money back after I decided to leave after the first night. Finally they gave me my money back after they charged me an 800THB early check out fee. So I paid 2500THB for a night in a backpacker hellhole. I could have stayed at the Sheraton for that price. For 1600THB down soi 20, you can get a luxury room at the Bally Studio Suites. Avoid this place unless you like to overpay for garbage.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Torino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Drop Inn located at a very great location. few minutes from the skytrain (i can't remember the station). The staff were very friendly and nice. The rooms are very clean. i've enjoyed my stay at drop inn and will definitely come back again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Drop Inn Bangkok? Share your experiences!