“Good value in the Sukumwit area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit

Save Saved
You added Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit to your Saves list
Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 Soi Sukhumvit 20, Sukhumvit Road | Khlong Toey, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #225 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Ottawa, Canada
“Good value in the Sukumwit area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have stayed a couple of times at the Bally Suites for several days each time. Its a very good basic hotel, no frills but with a pool that is great for cooling off after a day outside in the sun. Good value for the price.

Pluses: Good location on a fairly quiet Soi, away from the main traffic of Sukumwit. Easy walking to either the Phrom Pong BTS station (across Benjasiri park, using short cut through the Imperial Queens Park Hotel) or the Asok intersection for both BTS andMRT. The hotel runs a free shuttle (electric tuktuk) to the latter during the day. Helpful staff. Rooftop pool well maintained. Fridge and microwave in room )so that you can bring home takeaway food and reheat. Very Clean. Good hot water and water pressure. Lots of good food options nearby including takeaway and street food.

Minuses: Shuttle tuktuk runs only one way (FROM but not TO hotel) and not after 5 PM. Bathrooms have tubs with shower, not a walk in shower unless you get the much more expensive suites. Sink did not have a working drain plug (important for shaving, washing small clothes). When the hotel is busy there are not enough lounges by the pool, and the ones there are not in very good condition.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BALLY-SUKH, Management Team at Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback after stay at Bally’s Studio Suites and hope that you would have a wonderful experience on your trip.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to stay in our hotel once again.

476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I spent the last two nights of my Thailand trip at Bally's because my friends had stayed there before and found it has everything they need at a good price.

The location is not bad, walkable to the Asok Skytrain/MRT interchange although many will prefer the tuk tuk (there's a free one waiting outside the hotel, and it's maybe 50 Baht/person coming back). There are a few bars and restaurants nearby, along with massage shops and a 7-11 tucked away just around the corner.

The hotel reception was busy when we arrived at around 1.30pm, too early to check in as the rooms weren't ready, so it's probably best to avoid arriving early if you can schedule it that way.

My room on the sixth floor, reached via a ride in a lift with over-zealous doors, was a 'suite'. That meant a good sized room with balcony, basic en suite bathroom with broken but working tap and so-so shower, and a grubby sofa and chair around a coffee table.

A sign on the door states that cooking of any kind is prohibited, however in case you feel inclined to flout that particular rule, a microwave is provided. Minibar prices are about the same as anywhere I've seen in Thailand - surprisingly reasonable but still more than 7-11.

The breakfast buffet was surprisingly quiet, which is just as well as the cafe/restaurant seems comparatively small for the size of hotel. Food selection was fairly small, a bit of Western and Thai, but no complaints, and the filter coffee was perfectly decent.

My friends used the swimming pool tucked away on the fifth floor but I didn't get around to it. Apparently it's not usually busy because people don't know it's there, so sorry for letting the secret out!

Staff are friendly and courteous, if a little busy at times.

As I've mentioned above, not everything's perfect or pristine, but I shouldn't exaggerate; everything I needed works, and I wouldn't say it's run down.

Bally's doesn't pretend to be a luxury hotel, and is definitely not one for a honeymoon or a special treat. If you don't mind a few things being out of place, perhaps even a bit shabby in places, and can get a good price, then it's a fairly safe bet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The price is very reasonable and has most of the facilities of what a 5 star hotel would offer but just without any of the opulence.

I asked for a room on a low floor which I was given and am thankful for. Unfortunately the sink was missing from the room leaving a gaping hole which was unsightly and left me without the use of a kitchen sink. Also the battery in the door was low thus always beeping and gave me endless problems of trying to access my room. This was eventually resolved by a technician coming to change the battery but had unfortunately caused me a lot of grief until then.

I took a deluxe suite on the second floor in the new wing. The room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The room and bathroom were both very clean. Although it was on the second floor there was no noise from the street.

The hotel is located on a one way street between soi 20 and soi 22. If your taxi approaches from Soi 20 he will have to go several meters the wrong way on the one way street which they seem happy to do if no police around. There is a free bally tuk tuk service to bring you to Ashok station but this stops at 5pm so after 5pm one has to either take a taxi or walk a good 10-15 minutes.

The reception staff never smiled and what put me off was they demanded full payment upon check in which surprised me. I first had to go to change currency in order to pay for my stay but she was insistent payment is upon check in and not upon checkout.

The security guard/door man was always so helpful and rushed to always open the door and salute.

I asked several times during my 3 day stay to speak to Kaewta Thasbutr but she was either not in the hotel or unavailable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed in room 801 which was advertised as a superior room at Ballys and booked through Agoda. as usual when booking through a third party I was shoved into one of the worst rooms that the hotel had on offer. The room was dark old and tired, The bed was like a sheet of rock with old worn out linen that had cigarette burns in the top sheet, there was an ashtray on the table despite booking a non smoking room, there was mold all around the air con vent which smelt of dampness when first turned on then changed to a gas smell, grubby marks on the walls, a broken crusty shower head and when I asked reception to be moved they claimed that they were booked out of superior rooms even though agoda showed 4 available as did their own website, I was however offered an upgrade at 800 bht per night, The front desk staff had no intrest in entertaining me as they already had my money. I have stayed in this area before and have experienced far batter value for the same cost or less, I will not be returning to ballys and would advise anyone else not to take the risk. The hotel is very far back off the main strip so the location is not ideal, I spent 6 weeks on this trip and stayed in 10 euro a night hotels in Vietnam and Cambodia that were far better quality value and service. Far better value in this area, look elsewhere!!!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Though we stayed at this hotel only for 1 night, this is an amazing and one of the most comfortable hotel I stayed in my trip. The staff was so helpful and friendly. Location was quiet and nice.The room was huge . had a kitchen area with microwave , refrigerator ...a small balcony was there and a sitting area right next to the balcony .Everything was perfect at this hotel. The most comfortable thing was the huge BATH TUB ..with hot water .. it was so relaxing ... i would love to stay at this hotel again ..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BALLY-SUKH, Management team at Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your generous review of Bally’s Studio Suites hotel. We are delighted to read that you have truly enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with the overall services.

Please let us have your return again in the future, We would perform the best to ensure your good experience again.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I always find this hotel a nice place to stay in Bangkok. It is great value for money and has practically all the facilities and features of a much more expensive hotel but perhaps not as much opulence. The staff are always very helpful and accomodating and safety and security is never an issue here. Although not located right next to a BTS station, there is one about a 5-10 minute walk away or you can get the free Hotel tuk-tuk to take you there.

Room service food is a good price and nice. At the end of a long day, having a pool to cool down in is a great bonus.

I will keep coming back here without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

It was my first try with Bally's Sukhumvit and despite having read some negative reviews on Trip Advisor, the fact that Bally's had received their Certificate of Excellence for 2 years straight meant that it couldn't be all that bad. I had booked a Superior Room but when we arrived at Bally's, we were given a free upgrade instantly, without us asking for a possible upgrade. The hotel staff were very friendly with extra mention going to our morning shift security guard, who always ran ahead of us in order to open the doors for us. Plus he always had a wide smile and greeted us with a salute every single time. A pity I never got his name =( There were reviews about rooms having funny smells, dirty towels and floors, etc but for our stay at Bally's, my husband and I encountered nothing disturbing at all. Even though we never left our 'Makeup Room' light on whenever we went out for the day, the cleaning staff always ensured that we came back to a clean and tidy room. Room service was great as well - affordable prices, super tasty food and prompt service. The breakfast provided by Bally's was just as great. From Bally's to get to the places that we needed to get to, was not much hassle as a free buggy service (9am-5pm if I recall correctly) was provided to take us out instead of having to walk for 10 minutes (not that I minded the walk every now and then.. hee). Once we got out to the main road area, we had easy access to either the MRT or the BTS, so getting around was a breeze. All in all, we had a fabulous experience with Bally's Sukhumvit.. so thank you for making our short stay in Bangkok a fabulous one!

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your thought after stay at Bally’s Studio Suites. We are more than happy to hear that from you, We look forward to welcoming you to stay in Bally’s Studio Suites Sukhumvit, Bangkok and assure you that everything possible will be done to make your stay here a very happy one.

The Management Team

Been to Bally's Studio Suites Sukhumvit? Share your experiences!