“Unsafe, rude and inept staff, overpriced, stay elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn

You added Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn to your Saves list
Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160/1 Khaosan Road | Banglumphu, Pranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand   |
Ranked #680 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Los Angeles County
“Unsafe, rude and inept staff, overpriced, stay elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place does not have recent reviews and there is a reason why as
there are probably few people staying here. I was desperate from a bad
couchsurfing experience and regret (except for the travel agent I
met)very much that I didn't do my due diligence as I have in the past,
and read reviews before staying here. Even though this place had positive reviews in the past, always go by the LATEST reviews.

This place does NOT have doors in their lobby, so anyone can enter.
The night clerk when not busy at desk naps on the couch, the night
watchman is NOT alert looking around, rather he sits and reads or writes (why is he
there??) I left my money vest on the chair facing computers, both
said they saw nothing (the vest was left there but money was gone so
the person had to have removed it while sitting there) despite both in
close proximity, had the n.w. been observant he would've noticed the
vest left there a long time possibly before the other person sat there
& turned it in. They have cameras but none directed towards the
computers which are closest to the openings in the lobby. The worse
thing was the complete lack of help, the n.c. speaks VERY poor
English,and watchman NONE (this is a hotel that's in area only for
foreign tourists and marketed in English so they SHOULD hire someone
who can communicate well) they didn't know the # for the police much
less the tourist one, and the manager was very unhelpful, and not only not sympathetic to my plight but downright hostile towards me as if I committed the crime .According to other websites
(and the travel agent who works there who is NOT employed by the hotel
and the ONLY reason to go there as she's very helpful,) there are many
complain of the manager's surly, unfriendly attitude. (I am sending this review to the chains website saying they should probably contact some of their booking sites to see if feedback from people they referred complained as to why they wouldn’t come again.

The walk in rate is 1100 baht way overpriced for the area and the
quality of the place (you can get MUCH nicer with swimming pool etc for that price.)
All these factors reflect as to why the place seems empty and why they
market heavily with discounted prices ( I had one night free with
payment of two) but with all the options in the Khao San area, I'd
advise you to go elsewhere. Even the people who run the adjoining
restaurant are unfriendly which is why they aren't crowded either. The place is located near a bar which is quite noisy until late at night (where my room was which was next to the employees quarters as I wanted the first floor but fairly clean, and for MY price (which was only a special and NOT the regular price) it was a good value so gave it that rating. All the things that Philison mentioned are available at an EXTRA cost.

The last straw was when I had booked a taxi driver to take me to the airport. I was in the lobby waiting so I got on the computer, the clerk said the taxi driver was here but I looked around and saw nothing (thinking because of her poor English, she may have meant that he was coming or something else) so continued on the computer. While waiting I went to my room and came back and saw another person there, I asked if he was the taxi driver,but received no answer, he was at the counter with the clerk, he may not understood the English but as poorly as she speaks it, she had to have understood me and said nothing to me and when he left (which was another reason I didn't think he was the driver). I continued waiting and kept asking the clerk if we should call and she said she didn’t have the number, finally I understood that, that WAS the taxi driver, and he had gone outside to walk around!!!

I didn't give it the lowest rating for some things because the room was decent and because of the special got a fairly good value and as for the service, the clerk Balloon who was
wonderful and should work elsewhere where the service is on par with hers and the housekeeper gave me what I requested each day but because of the theft and how they treated me because of it, I had to give it the lowest rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked this hotel because we were flying from Canada to Thailand and arriving late. The hotel is in the thick of the action on khao San road and easy to find. Regardless the staff was very unfriendly and the room they took us to was not remotely similar to the one we booked in the photos. There are much better value hotel around. My suggestion is to try another hotel or just look around when you get there. They would probably show you a decent room because you would be potential money and we were money already made.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Offering one hour of free wifi with the purchase of a 100 baht breakfast does not mean you can lure in travelers with signs saying that it's free. They offer plenty of supplies in the rooms, such as a map, a fresh toothbrush and paste, condoms, water bottles, was quite surprised actually. Comfy beds, a tucked away location, friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked this hotel for 2 nights by hotel.com.The rooms were very small and not easy for those Europiens and Americans. The staff were not friendly,specialy a thin female staff with a dark face has a angry feeling in all time ,With that things they had made a bad imagination ,and we did change to stay in other hotel. They earned from their clients so they should"nt have bad service .

Room Tip: There are more hotels in Khaosan road,Should stay off it about over 200m.ITs sure cheaper and bette...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Amazingly people stay in this place. It is anything but a hotel more like a rat infested, poor curtesy of staff. Thankfully only stayed here one night and then got out a soon as possible. overpriced and not a great a welcome to the Land of Smiles. Thankfully our next hotel was much better and the air con worked. don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!! We booked the accommodation online before we arrived in Bangkok because it looked okay for the price and the location! We failed to read the reviews wish we did! We arrived early in the morning and the staff were rude and didn't explain why we had to pay cash eventhough we gave credit card details online, our room was on the third floor and we had to haul our bags up with no lift and no attempt from staff to help and we were both female travellers!! On the stairs there were rubbish bags and the maids carts left in the corridor with cats running about! Our room was tiny no space for bags on floor the shower was a hole in the ground and cold! That night we were watching tv and a GIANT rat was crawling up and down the tv cables!! We immediately jumped on to the bed and ran out to find another hotel! We found a great one and returned to the hotel to say we were checking out they were so rude and refused to give us back any of our money eventhough we didn't spend a night there! I argued but no luck we just wanted to get out of that hell hole!!! Please don't stay there for your own good!!!!!!!! Try the Viengtai one street up, it's a little more expensive but so nice and clean and the staff are so helpful.

• Stayed August 2012
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I would love to give this place 1 star for the AC not working in my room but everything else was fine so I gave it 2 stars.
I ended up moving to another hotel as I just could not handle the heat (It was hotter in my room than outside my room - anyone who has been to Bangkok before knows that is already really hot!)
Staff did charge for internet (which I booked another room with).
If the AC had worked I would have been ok staying here but that is just killer.

Room Tip: Get a room with working AC!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn? Share your experiences!