“Hotel staff unfriendly” 2 of 5 stars
Review of City Lodge Soi 9

You added City Lodge Soi 9 to your Saves list
City Lodge Soi 9
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sukhumvit 9, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand (Wattana)   |
Ranked #413 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
“Hotel staff unfriendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We got the room with poor air conditional! The air cond is not cold at all especially this hot weather. I requested changing room but the receptionist show me his unwanted face! And rude! Please do something with him and if he is not willing to work, ask to resign! We paid for the service but not worst!

• Stayed April 2014
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you very much for your review further to your stay at the City Lodge, Soi 9.
I was very sorry to learn about your experience and would like to offer you our most sincere apologies. We will certainly review the situation with the air-conditioning and address the behaviour issue you have described.

alexandre.frenkel@amari.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was fretting over which hotel to stay due to the protest in BKK. However the protest has moved into Lumphini Park 4 days before my arrival which is a great relief to me.

I usually stay in Inn Saladaeng if travelling with friends or alone but this time I stay in City Lodge Soi 9.

The hotel’s location is superb. It is just beside Nana BTS. The entrance of the hotel is a little weird. It is located at the mouth of the narrow Soi and the entrance is a little obscure. You can easily miss it.

It is walking distance to lots of bars, massage saloons, shopping, convenience store and even a 24hour supermarket and food court.

The room is clean and big enough. If you reserve a standard room, your room will be facing the BTS but you can’t hear much noise from it. The room even have bath tub and a safe.

During the night, you may hear some music or noise from the bar below but if you are dead tired from the shopping, I doubt you will notice it much.

The safe is not an electronic safe but the reception will give you a key lock mechanism where you place the lock into the safe to lock it.

Do note that if you lose the key, the penalty is THB3500!

The staff is friendly but obviously the hotel is under staff. I book my room through hotel2thailand.com which sometimes offer cheaper rate than the hotel website.

I like City Lodge Soi 9 location but I prefer Inn Saladaeng environment. I have check out City Lodge Soi 19 and I would say the Soi 19 hotel is a much better location.

Another reason I do not really favour this hotel is actually the location of the hotel. If you are taking the taxi with lots of luggage, the taxi cannot stop by the entrance of the hotel. You will need to carry all the luggage to the main road which is about 10m from the hotel entrance.

The staff will not help you carry your luggage to the main road (there is only one poor staff maning the reception) and if it rains, it will be a big issue.

There are also taxis waiting at the mouth of the Soi. Having lots of luggage, I relented and took their service of THB400 back to the airport.

Will I stay there again? 50% chance. As mentioned, I like City Lodge 9 location but I like Inn Saladaeng environment.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the location of the City Lodge Soi 9 and found our receptionist to be friendly. As the hotel operates 28 rooms we indeed have one receptionist on duty at a time. Given the price range and the category of our hotel, we also do not have a bellboy on duty. However we have well noted your comment and will look into possible ways to better assist our guests with their luggage.
We appreciate the fact that you would consider to visit us again on a future visit to Bangkok.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed at City Lodge Soi 9 four nights in total. The hotel is ok, but the area is very bad: loads of prostitutes everywhere, some dodgy and dirty people around the hotel selling drugs or Valium, and drunken tourists looking for both... Actually I should have stayed at City Lodge 19, which looks definitely in a nicer part of Nana area!

Room was ok, clean and nice. Staff was ok too, except a lady at the reception during the day that wasn't friendly AT ALL. Careful at night as the guy at the reception doesn't understand english, which is a bit difficult if you want to stay longer, or even if you want to have some informations as he's not gonna be able to understand ANY basic thing. I saw few cockroaches at the reception, that's not very nice as well, especially for an hotel! But no insects in the room, don't worry.

Price is ok, even if you can find cheaper (almost half price) 2 BTS stations away from there. Nice bathroom, TV with foreign channels and good bed.

A special mention to Gook, the nice and friendly young receptionist, who has always been kind and helpful, with a good level of english and a real proper Thai smile. She's the hotel sunshine!

Room Tip: Avoid the street side, as it's really busy day and night with the cars, buses and motorcycles. T...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for comprehensive review. We appreciate the comments made about Khun Gook and will certainly share your kind words. We have however duly noted your remarks about the other receptionists and appreciate your feedback.

We appreciate your comments about the location as well. Whilst it is very convenient due to proximity of the sky train, the hotel is indeed surrounded by the nightlife typical to this part of the city, and should not come as a surprise if you select this particular location for your stay in Bangkok.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place couldn't be easier to find, just step off the sky train at Nana, look over the balcony and the sign almost smacks you in the face. The room is of a reasonable size. Comfortable enough to spend your nights in. My room was right on top of the sky train platform but didn't present any problems for noise. Reception staff were friendly and check in, check out were very simple. Best part of this hotel is it's location. Great night life and daytime bars/shopping in the area but having such close access to the BST, it's so easy to see much more of Bangkok. This place is already in my plans for my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review highlighting the convenient location of City Lodge Soi 9.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

excellent location to the Nana Sky Train, the station is literally just outside. The rooms were average sized with a king sized bed and large flatscreen. Our room overlooked the station platform though and consequently was quite noisy and we couldn't open the curtains. the staff were helpful with good english too. I would stay here again for a night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was happy to learn that you found our location to be convenient and mostly that you would stay with us again on a future short visit to Bangkok. Appreciate your time.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is the second time I have used City lodge Soi 9.
The first time I had a up graded room because I stayed a certain amount of time, this time stayed the same time but room wasn't upgraded and found the room to be very small with a hard mattress, but the worst thing was all the street noise at night and the noise from the BTS Nana station.
I think most of the upgraded rooms must be away from the main street as last time I was there seem reasonably quiet...but not this time in the basic rooms.
I found that both times I stayed there was very little water pressure for the showers or bath tub, and also the water heater did not always work.
The rooms were always kept very clean, and the staff generally seemed quite friendly... but not great at understanding English.
But must say the location is great and the availability of the public transport fantastic to.
I suppose we get what we pay for, so for the price I suppose it is a good value hotel.

Room Tip: Try to keep away from the Sukhumvit Road side of hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review and for your loyalty. I was happy to read that overall you find the City Lodge to be good value for money. We have indeed rooms on both the road side and at the back side, which are quieter. I have noted your comments about the water pressure and the heater, as well as our English proficiency, for future improvements.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Right next to Nana BTS and many bars and restaurants in the area. I had a room with a view of BTS but it was quiet and the bed comfortable. Hot water in the shower was a little erratic but the room was clean. Was not impressed that the room safe required a fee for use. Nor did I like being asked to pay in advance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback further to your stay with us at the City Lodge. I was happy to read that overall you had a pleasant stay. I have however duly taken note of your remarks. The lock for the safety box is provided free of charge, however a charge of THB 3,500 appears in case once would loose the key. If a guest has a credit card to guarantee the stay, like in most hotels we just take an authorisation, which would also cover for the amount of the safe. However if a guest only has cash, we then take an equivalent deposit which is then reimbursed. We are unable to identify what happened in your particular case, however will re-brief our team to avoid any misunderstanding. Please accept our apologies if this has been the case.

alexandre.frenkel@amari.com

Been to City Lodge Soi 9? Share your experiences!