“Liked this hotel so much I returned during my stay in Thailand” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tarntawan Place Hotel

You added Tarntawan Place Hotel to your Saves list
Tarntawan Place Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119/5-10 Surawong Road | Suriyawong, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Ranked #140 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Liked this hotel so much I returned during my stay in Thailand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

For me this hotel was conveniently located in the busy and bustling Silom area. However as it is set back from the main (Surawong) road it is quiet and exudes an air of calm. I found the staff manning reception to be friendly (fairly knowledgeable) and receptive to my needs. Likewise, the door and catering staff were welcoming and helpful. Liked the fact that I was remembered when I returned several days later for 2 separate overnight stays before flying to Cambodia and UK respectively.

Mid-range priced rooms were clean and spacious. For 400 bht more you can book a Deluxe room - but as far as I could see this entiled you to a daily delivery of fruit to your room and the provision of a DVD in the room. Nice comfortable beds. Air con and good minibar including the obligatory free bottles of drinking water. Decor is fairly standard and don't expect stunning views from the bedrooms - this is a built up area. One niggle was the absence of room safes - personally I feel more in control of my security if room safes are provided rather than the hassle of using safety deposit boxes at front desk. A small business area in the lobby offers free internet usage - great for checking travel plans etc

No gym or swimming pool - but these can be accessed nearby.

On your doorstep is the red light Patpong area so the streets get very busy with traders and you need to get use to the locals offering tuk-tuk and taxi rides, massage, watches, dvds, suits and sex shows.

This hotel is central to 'gay' Bangkok and therefore does cater for the gay traveller, so you will notice western guys breakfasting with younger asian partner/escort. Friends and 'joiners' can visit or stay overnight, but tight security means they have to leave ID in reception. If you are uncomfortable about this then another hotel may suit your requirements.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stays here and would readily return on my next visit to the Far East.

• Liked — Personal service was excellent - they remembered me a week later!
  • Disliked — No room safes
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

Good location in gayborhood near the skytrain, easy to get around and friendly staff. The main complaint is that our first room was "smoking" and smelled horrible, and even when we were transferred to the "non smoking" floor, it was still there, which was very annoying.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

The location is very good.

The room is OK but a little bit old fashion.

The staff is cold but very competent, I must say.

I don't really see the Gay side of it as advertised but... nevermind, it is still a great value for money.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

I stayed at Tarntawan Place for a week in March 2008, in a Deluxe Surawong room (recommended--larger windows and quieter). Several friends of mine were staying in the hotel at the same time, and none of us had any of the problems other guests have mentioned on this site. The room was spacious, clean, quiet (I'm very sensitive to noise), and comfortable, service was delightful, food--especially the 24-hour complimentary breakfast--was very good. The staff was extremely helpful in making restaurant recommendations and reservations for us.
I stayed here for a month 5 years ago and have noticed no decline in quality, despite what others have written. Some of the staff members remembered me, which was gratifying. My 2003 stay really put the hotel to the test, because I was came down with dengue fever while I was staying there. The management took me to the nearby Bangkok Christian Hospital, transfered my luggage for me after I was admitted, sent someone every day with newspapers and other reading material, arranged for a masseur, picked me up when I was discharged after a week, and upgraded me for the week of convalescence my doctor prescribed. This experience makes me confident that I'll be treated well at Tarntawan Place, and makes me hesitant to stay in a more impersonal hotel.

• Liked — location, comfortable room, helpful friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
queensland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

I have been staying at this hotel for 5 years now, sometimes twice a year.
How sad to see it's standards falling so rapidly in just a year.
Apart from construction work and the associated noise from 7am or earlier the hotel has failed to keep it's unblemished reputation in so short a time.

Exploding light bulbs, light fittings hanging loose in the ceiling of the bathroom....scary stuff with so much water around.
Cold water that is.....on the 8th floor forget any desire you may have for hot water and indeed any water pressure at all. At some stages the water pressure couldn't keep the shower operating and the water diverted itself back into the bath! After your less than inspiring shower you can now dry yourself with the grey, frayed and well worn towels which this hotel used to pride itself on.
The food is good and service is prompt apart from the day they completely forgot to deliver my breakfast. This was excused with the usual "mai pen rai' from the person responsible.

Imagine my delight when I came back to my room and the maids had done a wonderful job, cleaned the room, restocked the coffee/tea and changed the bed. The sheets FULL OF HOLES was a sight to behold.

I have aired my grievances with the Director who has offered me a "free" upgrade to Deluxe Suriwong Room on my next stay, very nice of him, except that I doubt if I will ever stay there again.
At 2700 baht a night, there are better deals around. And don't even mention the Limo service......after a nine hour flight it took me half an hour to find him then had to wake him up!

The staff are lovely, the food is good, the rooms are very dated and of dubious cleanliness/maintainence.
At your own risk!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor management
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

You can take the airport bus AE1 and get off at "Tawana Ramada Hotel" stop and it's 10 meters away from the lane way where Tarntawan Place is. Service level is typical of Bangkok hotels in the same class. Obviously many gay clients take advantage of the no-joiner-fee benefit. Breakfast(included in rate) anytime of the day. Free in-room wi-fi and lobby PCs. The bathroom(though acceptible) did indeed need some improvement to match up with the rest of the guest room - "DELUXE SURAWONG ROOM".

Stayed December 2007
TAIPEI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on Aug.30-Sep. 2. It takes just a few minutes' walk to reach the skytrain station, Saladang; and the famous night market, Papong, is even nearer. Though it's close to these busy places, it's very quiet and clean. The hotel looks small from the out side, but the room is spacious.
I had to leave in the early morning around 5+AM, and the night manager made the morning call on time, and another call to make sure I was awake as I didn't show up downstair soon. Very considerate for those who press the snooze button and have to catch the flight, though I was not sleeping then....:) Later, he even complaint to the taxi driver for me, as he found the driver intended not to run by meter.
The most convenient thing to me is the 24-hour service of "breakfast". You can have them whenever you feel like to. I had one (I got two since I stayed in a room for 2) at midnight as it was raining and I didn't want to go out then...
But there are still some flaws to me. No in-room-safe, and the gym and swimming pool are 5 minutes' walk away. You have to pay 400 baht extra for one entrance. Though the gym is cool.
I'll definitely stay there again next time if travelling alone.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — No in-room-safe, no gym and pool in the hotel (but nearby)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tarntawan Place Hotel? Share your experiences!