“Fading hotel in need of more investment” 3 of 5 stars

The Grand Ayudhaya Hotel Bangkok
20 Ratchadapisek 18, Huay-Kwang, Bangkok 10310, Thailand (Din)   |
Ranked #627 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
London
“Fading hotel in need of more investment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

This hotel once probably had a glorious age- coinciding with the days when the Beegees and Cinzano were at that peak. Glorious entrance foyer, with a somewhat damp smell but it masks the past-its-prime ambience that pervades the rest of the hotel.The hotel apparently has 600 rooms and had 70 book. The room we were given had not been used for at least five years given the layer of dust and the out of date drinks in the fridge. When we cheekily asked for an upgrade, the staff bent over backwards to help us and we were given an extra big room, very pleasantly furnished and the bathroom was superb. It still lacked the finishing touches though. The location wasn't bad but needs a metro into the centre. Taxi drivers are more likely to know the Swisshotel next door if you need to give directions. If you need a quiet room ask for one facing the swimming pool- which probably can't be used unless you've got a divers suit and breathing apparatus given the odd colour of the water. Was able to have drink at the bar at an ungodly hour. The people at the hotel just about make it worthwhile at a price which is fairly cheap.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Ferntree Gully, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Well...
When we checked in we thought things may not be so good.
Our room was very dirty, the nonsmoking floor reeked of smoke,
our early morning call was not recorded. lucky we had to change it or we wouldn't have known,
After a sleepless night., dirty bed, cigarette smoke etc. , we checked out at 5 AM, asked reception to have our bags brought down for our 5.30 depature to airport and went for breakfast.
We went to the wrong restaurant , they have 2 breakfast buffets one starts at 5am and the other 6am.
Not knowing this , and seeing they wern't set up yet I went to find some staff and my husband went the other way to look at the food. There on the table with the bread set out for toast sat the FATTEST RAT he had ever seen. It got a fright to see Lee and took off into the kitchen.
We were then told to go to the other restaurant , which was not set up either, one look around and I could not eat there either, everything was filthy!!!
So off we went to get our bags and catch the taxi,,,,,so where are our bags????
Reception " Did you foget your bags?".Der!!
So they now send someone to get our bags and finally , late, we head off to the airport.
What a sorry end to 4 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia!!!
We booked through [--]. and now know we paid a premium price , so never again with them too!!

• Liked — absolutely nothing!!!
  • Disliked — The Rat !!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Essen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I just escaped upon the room check in, when I asked to change the room because of its moldy bed and dirty bathroom. I asked the front desk staff to change the room, but encounter absolute ignorance. So I canceled my two nights booking and escaped without even unpacking! I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in filth for a while!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Around Asia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I was disappointed with this hotel. They were going to charge me $20 more per night just because my passport is from America. Luckily my friend is half Korean so we got the cheaper price but if you ask me thats racism.

We got there late at night and the man at the desk was very rude. Our room was pretty nice but the cockroaches and brown water didn't make us feel very comfortable. We stayed in two different rooms while we were in Bangkok and both had multiple cockroaches and dirty orange brown water. When the I told woman about it she just said to let the water run for 5 minutes... Even after I waited it was still yellowish and so washing hands, brushing teeth and showering were all disgusting endeavors.

Unfortunately my credit card wasn't working in Thailand so I asked the front desk if they could exchange some of my Japanese Yen but they refused because there was a small rip in the bottom of the money. I then asked how much it was to use the internet and its 150 bht per 15 minutes!!! Thats $5! Everywhere else it was 30bht per hour. Since our credit cards weren't working we were stranded at the hotel with no food and so we asked them for some free water bottles. I drank one and it ended up costing 70bht! We had to go to the fitness center to get free drinking water it was pathetic! Our mini bar was locked the whole time and the TV only had a few channels. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choices but it also had a lot of fruit flies sitting on the food and most of it was stale. The bulbs were out in 3 of the 5 lights in the room and the air conditioning didn't work. Overall it was disappointing experience and I will never stay there again!

The staff in the dinning room was very pleasant and helpful but most of the people at the front desk we dealt with were very rude and seemed annoyed to have to talk to us. If I were to give the management advice I would say tell your staff to be a nice to the guests of all races. I watched them be very kind to other guests but I think my nationality must have bothered them.... A little kindness alone would have changed our experience!

• Liked — I appreciated the few nice people
  • Disliked — the majority of the staff we talkd with were rude and the dirty water and cockroaches!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

This appears to be a case of a hotel past its prime -- with a profile and location that does not compare favorably with more up-to-date and better located hotels among Bangkok's fine selection, and probably hard to compete toward keeping its 600 rooms occupied. The hotel is quite uncared for, with chipped marble, peeling paint, torn wallpaper, wood in dire need of refinishing, holes in walls, water stains, etc. throughout. The art and antique looking furniture in the lobby is (badly) wrapped in plastic. The brass railings in the elevators look like they have not been cleaned for years; the small placards next to each floor button are so faded as to be completely unreadable. The lamps in my room only turned on and off by plugging them in and unplugging them: the switches were broken, and the console by the bed had no effect. The water boiler was broken (but promptly replaced by housekeeping upon request). The air conditioning never got quite cold, and the shower never got quite hot. The color TV was faded and some channels came through only in black and white.

Business must be down: the clothes shop in the hotel's shopping arcade was offering 30-80% discount; other shops are vacant. The Currency Exchange desk and Business Center both had signs saying to ask at Reception. The female Front Desk had a silk sash that was frayed in several places. One would assume these are cost-cutting measures, and perhaps forgivable since any business needs to make money to keep going.

What is not forgivable, however, is how badly run this hotel is. The staff, for the most part, are lethargic and do not seem to care about anything -- particularly the guests. My 2:30 am check-in took half an hour. The front desk clerk could not find my prepaid booking via wotif.com and proceeded to ignore me and service other people coming by the counter at this odd hour while I waited in confusion. Finally, I had to make a long-distance call to wotif.com in Australia to ask them to fax a copy to the hotel, and as for the duty manager to get me into a bed.

The wifi was not working when I checked in during the night, and so I had to leave the hotel at 3:30 am to find an all-night Internet cafe. I had been assured the wifi would be working by 8:00 am. I was also told that the General Manager would be in from 8:00 to 14:00 to hear my complaints. At 9:00 in the morning, the on-duty manager told me that the GM does not work on weekends and, no, the wifi was not working and would be down all day. When I asked about the washing machine that wotif.com showed as included in the room, I was given a surprised look and told that no rooms at that hotel had washing machines. When I complained to wotif.com about the misrepresentation, I was told that the information came from the hotel (and was offered to file a compensation claim, which I did not since wotif.com has been so consistently reliable over many experiences I did not feel they deserved to be put out by something I was sure was not their fault. They promptly corrected the listing as well.)

It is hard to imagine how a hotel in a city with such good hospitality staff can be so mismanaged. The doors to the service lifts on my floor were left open, and one could see towels strewn about and rollaway beds helter skelter -- there was no reason for those doors to be left open. The parking attendant, standing at a podium five steps from the door, stands with a glazed look as guests open and close the unwashed glass doors for themselves. This might be understandable in other cities, but in Bangkok -- where even the security guard will generally jump to attention to open a door for a guest -- this is absolutely substandard. When I poured milk into my coffee for the breakfast buffet, I could see little white bits floating around and, upon inspecting the pourer, I could see lumps indicating it had soured. The suited gentleman who seemed to be running the show at the restaurant offered to replace it and offered to bring it to my table, but after that I did not trust the food quality or safety and so I left without eating a bite. The restaurant staff did seem to be a cut well above the tragic front desk staff -- I watched them in operation during the lunch buffet (which looked quite good, and reasonable at 345 baht) and they seemed efficient and involved.

All that being said, the hotel is well priced if you pay the going online or local travel agent rate (the rack rates are an offense for a hotel of such poor quality), so if you don't mind staying in a room that is in need of repair and renovation, are not that concerned about keeping cool or having a hot shower, and your constitution is robust enough to handle the odd swarms of bacteria that may be lurking in your breakfast, this may be the place for you. The hotel does have a huge lobby and very nice seating area off the lobby which it is a pity have so departed from their original grandeur. The large restaurant has vast floor-to-ceiling windows. The place is nicely designed and, in its day, must have been impressive.

Finally, the most disturbing thing to me is that I when I asked the on-duty to advise me how to write to the owners of the hotel he refused to give me that information. I was referred to the same absent General Manager, and was told (rudely, by an unkempt man who was clearly upset with me) that the GM "talked to the owners". I determined then that this hotel is likely a hopeless case, since the person who could at least repurpose idle staff for basic cleaning duties and replace tired and uncaring staff with enthusiastic and service-oriented ones probably for the same pay was the end of the line to hear complaints. It is really a shame: some staff changes, some cleanup, and some tweaks here and there would not cost so much and would make a world of difference. In Bangkok, no guest need tolerate uncaring service, at any price.

I would say that unless you have a very good reason to stay at this particular hotel, look elsewhere. If you are one of the unfortunates who end up coming by the busload as part of a packaged tour, accept my condolences and complain to your tour operator. If you are a travel agent or tour operator, you apparently don't know better or are greedy or do not care enough about your customers to put them some place decent.

• Liked — Had a good massage
  • Disliked — Wifi not working -- surprise! -- and no help in getting dial-up or an Internet cafe or whatever -- this in a 600 room hotel where you think they would be prepared for such situations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

This hotel is regularly on the "cheap hotel" lists and offers outstanding value for money. It's basically a 4 star hotel at 3 star price (even for foreigners!). The Japanese restaurant is EXCELLENT. The bar is sad and empty. The hot water is normally tepid we found, though the bathroom is excellent. The location is not great -in the middle of the massage district - but there's a MRT station nearby (metro, whatever you call it). Ask for a room on the higher floors - you can get a superb view.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

What can we say, dirty, tired, stained carpet, ripped curtains and staff who could'nt give a damn. We walked out after 1 hour of unheplful "service" with not one staff member speaking English, to even understand that we were leaving!!! Stay away, this place is real dodgy!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Grand Ayudhaya Hotel Bangkok? Share your experiences!