“Nothing Hostel About It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chern Hostel

You added Chern Hostel to your Saves list
Chern Hostel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   17 Soi Ratchasak, Bamrung Mueang Road, Bangkok, Thailand   |
Ranked #16 of 563 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Muscat, Masqat, Oman
“Nothing Hostel About It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed here on its 3rd night after opening, though the only thing you could tell about it going through its teething period was the fact the credit card machine was a little problematic and that taxi drivers had no idea where it was (note, most taxi drivers do not read, therefore written instructions are useless, find a map)

The hotel calls its self a hostel but as we had double rooms to ourselves it was indistinguishable from a hotel. Each room had individual artwork on the wall, making it feel fresh and boutique. Each room also had a safe (wasnt bolted down yet) fridge (hadnt been turned on yet and ensuite WC + shower.

It was clean, very reasonable, nice, smart design and I loved every minute i spent there in my 4 night. The staff were super friendly and helpful, one even went as far as taking a rickshaw with me to the minibus terminal to ensure I safely got on the right minibus. And a great location, walkable to the grand palace and Khao San Road but tucked away so nice an quiet.

Downsides were minor, hard to find, no breakfast facilities and not much around for breakfast locally, no bar to have that well earnt night cap after a hot day in Bangkok

Room Tip: A double room is a very affordable option here for those vary of sharing dorms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was my first stay in a hostel so not sure what to expect, I was so pleasantly surprised! Our double room was clean, spacious, and the bed was so comfy! It had a safe and a fridge with water provided. This hostel is within walking distance to the grand palace and khao San road, but quite so you won't be disturbed y noise. Staff were excellent, they helped us many times with directions etc and always willing to help. There is a computer which is free which we used it to back up our photos, there is washing machine facilities too. I would have no doubt in recommending this hostel to anyone, we lived it! Don't think just stay! Well worth the money!

• Stayed March 2014
paknampran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

It is not an easy Job to run a successful Hostel in Bangkok, as there are so many outstanding places to stay. After a recommendation I had to visit the Chern as well and probably expected too much. The access to the hostel was perfectly described and the receptionist was probably one of the most proficient I have ever met in a BKK Hostel. But when I entered the Dormitory I found the same as one find in so many places in Thailand. Once great facilities became victims of the neglected maintenance. My locker was broken and so was my bedside lamp. Everything looked a bit dirty, especially the bathroom, which is astonishingly big for an 8 bed dormitory. But then again I probably came on the wrong day after this place has so many good reviews. After that I'd still give 4 stars because the bed quality was excellent. But since there is whether coffee nor cold or hot drinking water or any food provided in the morning I decided to give 3.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel is great. The rooms are spacious, pretty and the beds are nice. It is not a very social place, but we didn't expect that in the first place.

Taxi drivers had a hard time finding it, so make sure you write down the phone number of the hotel so they can call them (our taxi driver did that for free).

Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Chern was the 1st place we stayed in Thailand and we loved it! Really friendly welcome by a lovely guy in reception and we were really happy with the room. Wifi was very quick and overall it's very good value. Quiet location and very easy to get to KS road and the Grand Palace. Only thing we weren't that happy about was the water coming out of the tap was initially yellow and smelt. The next day it was fine though. We would throughly recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Padua, Veneto, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I loved this hostel. If you are looking for a place to rest, but to be near the main attractions this is the place. The bed was super comfy and clean, the same with the bathroom. It would be nice to offer included breakfast, but still you can order there for a fair price. I'll definetly would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bogor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

It's beyond my expectation, I thought I read Hostel but staying there for 3 nights, it is more like a hotel for me.

The room is very nice, well decorated and clean. They clean the room and give free water everyday. Also, there are free soaps, shampoo, and towels. They even change the towels if you ask for it.

The hotel itself is very modern, clean and gives great ambience. Especially after a long day walking around Bangkok. I often enjoy some time at the common room.

The location is far from MRTs or skytrain. But it is close to many famous sites : Wat arun, Wat pho, Grand Palace, Wat Saket (Golden Mountain). You can walk to these sites and enjoy some snacks along the way. In the morning, if you walk to Wat Pho, you could also stop at a market nearby to explore some local snacks. If you are not fond of walking, take a taxi and always make sure they are metered.

You can also ride boat ferries to Yaowarat, or boat taxi to Siam. It is quite an interesting experience for me. At night, walk a bit and find the most famous Pad Thai in Bangkok (if you're lucky, you don't have to get in line). Most of the hawkers around are too delicious to tell.

Overall, I really had a wonderful trip thanks to Chern. The staffs are very helpful and kind. Thank you, keep up the good work!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chern Hostel? Share your experiences!