“Interesting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Snake Farm (Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute)

Snake Farm (Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute)
1871 Rama IV Road | Phathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
+66 225201614
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 220 Attractions in Bangkok
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute, this organization produces anti-venom serum for snake-bite victims nationwide.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Frankfurt, Germany
9 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

A little bit rundown. Still fascinating. Quite a thrill to hold or stroke the pythins. Potentially very interesting need to upgrade....

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
41 attraction reviews
“Don't go unless you time it right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This snake farm is very educational. But adult tickets are much too expensive if one does not get to see the snake "milking" (extraction of venom) or snake handling. Check website for times...

Geneva, Switzerland
22 attraction reviews
“Scary, fascinating and amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was one of my favorite things that I did in Bangkok. I am not into snakes nor do I like them but am so thankful I took the reviews of others to go because this is definately a must!

They have everything there- from big to poisonous. It's completely safe, clean and professional. What really impressed me is that they aren't just keeping snakes for fun but it's educational and research. They have exhibits upstairs with snake bones, skins, pictures, short films orientating you on what to do if you get bit by a snake etc... I learned so much!

I watched the morning 11:00 am snake show on "Venom extraction" All I can say is wow- creepy yet impressive! Glad it wasnt me who had to touch those snakes! The afternoon show at 2:30 pm is the snake handling one but I didnt go.

It's only 200 Baht per person to get in and is definately worth it. There are some people you can ask questions to about snakes etc...

I loved the snake farm and spent the whole morning there

Ko Samui, Thailand
24 attraction reviews
“Not for the squeamish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Very interesting centre, which provides valuable services through the country. Most visitors will never see a snake, but they are common throughout Thailand (although cleared from most tourist areas) and snake bites are not uncommon, so this is a great place to see how the antidotes are produced, and to see the snakes up close. I live in the countryside here, and was horrified one day to find a King Cobra under my bed - would rather see them here.

Visited November 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
16 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable Show & Informative Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Visited on 10/02/2013
Entrance fee 200 Baht adults and taller children...... 100 for shorter children

Visited on a Sunday son only the 11:00 show. We arrived a few minutes late thanks to number of taxi and tuk tuk's declining to take us from Wat Pho to Snake Farm. But we got there with our guides perserverence!

We really enjoyed watching the show with the presenter having a good speaking voice. A fair number of snakes were bought out one by one by handlers. Vipers, Cobra's, Python, etc. Some of the snakes were quite active - lunging at the handler and some were happily twisting around a tree stick. The show lasted about 40 minutes or so. At the end you had the opportunity to have your photo taken with a Python drapped around your shoulders which we chose to do. Very silky with bumps and strong muscles. My son loved the show and information given.

Sometime back the presenter was bitten by a Cobra and nearly died. He has a large skin graft on his hand. I did not realise that the venom kills off the flesh surrounding the bite area as well as going through the blood stream.

We then went through the museum with its variety of information and we played guess the facts. You can see some preserved snakes and also live ones in small cages with some greenery and branches.

We recommend this venue and were not asked for tips by the handlers.