“Largest Flea Market in Thailand” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This weekend market, covering an area of more than 35 acres, contains 15,000 shops and stalls offering a wide range of products from household accessories and Thai handicrafts to live animals and plants.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
18 attraction reviews
“Largest Flea Market in Thailand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

Chatuchak Weekend Market is the largest flea market in Thailand, and largest of the world. It covers over 35 acres and contains upwards of 15,000 stalls. It is estimated that the market receives between 200,000 and 300,000 visitors each day. Most stalls only open on Saturdays and Sundays.The market offers a wide variety of products including clothing, accessories, home decor, art articles, Thai handicrafts, religious artifacts, collectibles, foods, and live animals. The asking price for the goods sold here is already cheaper than other places in Bangkok so do not expect hefty discount off the items that you would like to buy.
My friend & I decided to take the BTS (equivalent to LRT in M'sia or MRT in Singapore) to Chatuchak in anticipation of the large crowd was heading towards that area too. Within 10 minutes on the train, we came off the Mo Chit station and walked straight to the flea market. First we filled our stomach with the local delights and then the shopping spree started. The last trip I came last year I spent all my 4 Saturdays at this market and I didn't want to recall how much money I'd burned here. Beware, Chatuchak is a very dangerous place for people with little self control and even more dangerous for people who love impulsive shopping like me.
As a reminder, please wear as comfortable & light as possible in terms of clothing & footwear. It will be very hot during the afternoon and keep a bottle of liquid close to you at all times to avoid dehydration. In short, one day is not enough to cover the whole market and most likely you will return to this place over & over again cause the bargains are just too good to resist.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Austin,TX
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome in the truest sense of the word”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I've been to the Dirt Market in Beijing, the markets of Mexico City and more markets in Europe and America than I care to count, but this tops them all.

Negatives - It's big, if you're there in the summer, it's hot (shocking this being Thailand and all). If you can deal with that, then away you go.

Take the subway or the BTS line. The subway will dump you out right at a gate, the BTS line about 100 meters away.

I spent 9 hours there yesterday and barely made a dent. I don't argue about it being bewildering, but in a wonderful way.

My hints - When you see something you want, get it. I was trying to backtrack to one stall and couldn't find it, but found something similar later.
Take frequent breaks, water, coffee, food available every few feet, so it's not hard to do.
Get a foot massage. A little more expensive here than other places, but worth it and refreshes you for Round 2.
Get there early to get your bearings, I hit the places I was least interested in first so that by 10 when everything was rolling I was in Section 24-25 that I most cared about.

I didn't find the haggling as intensive as other places, mostly end up taking 5-20% off. For items like clothes, the prices are already pretty competitive. One of a kind items were obviously more difficult, so the craft type items had the biggest discounts.

I ended up with soccer jerseys (for 1/2 the price of Patpong), bags, carved knickknacks, some pewter and glass items and a handful of other things. Was disappointed in the prices of books, but I was exhausted by then and didn't spend anytime negotiating.

Panama City
3 attraction reviews
“99% rubbish! Renamed Chatucrap ....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Not sure what everyone is raving about, but I guess it depends on what your expectation levels are. If you are looking for quality then Chatuchak is really not the place for you. It is bewilderingly enormous, excessively stuffy, hot and smelly and appears to have very little organization. Stall after stall after stall sells the same carbon copied low quality, cheap, mass produced rubbish. The antiques area is somewhat more interesting. And if you want a decent coffee, there is a super little coffee restaurant very close by run by some interesting guys/gals!

Brisbane
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent but only did 1/5 in the 3 hours we were there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

This market is EXCELLENT! It's cheaper than anywhere else and you can haggle a bit. I recommend going to an info booth and getting a map of the grounds (we didn't and got insanely lost). We were there for 3 hours and only did about 1/5 of it. We'll have to go back. It was really hot though - almost unbearable so I recommend dressing light!

England
5 attraction reviews
“Favourite part of bangkok trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

After having been round the souks in Marrakesh I was prepared for a day of hassle and haggling - Chatuchak was a completely different experience and I loved it!
This weekend market is easily reached from either the skytrain or subway (just follow the crowds). Once there you'll find plenty of officials handing out maps, but really just spending hours browsing round is the best thing to do.
Whatever you want to buy in Bangkok you'll find here and all at great prices. Everything we wanted was cheaper than anywhere else we'd seen.
The stall holders are all very pleasant, no hassle, no grabbing your arm, no trying to bar your way out until you buy and even the haggling is calm and pleasant.
The foot massage stall (200THB for 1 hour) is a must for abut half way through the trip and I'm sure I got my '5 a day fruit and veg' from all the smoothie stands (25THB for a pure fruit smoothie). You'll not go hungry either with all kinds of varieties of delicious smelling food stalls.
Most importantly for me, there are also clean toilets here at then entrances (staffed and 5THB but worth it for the cleanliness).
When I next go to Bangkok I will ensure it's at the weekend and once again head straight to this market!